[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Delhomme's preseason wobbly throws

dominatorr

Has anyone noticed Jake delhomme's wobbly throws this preseason??? He threw many in the preseason game against the eagles but the field was very wet so I chalked this up to the conditions. Then, against the redskins, the touchdown pass to s. smith was again an ugly wobbler. :wacko:

Has anyone else noticed this???? Is this something that jake has always done or should there be some concerns about his surgically repaired arm? :D

Edited by dominatorr

Has anyone noticed Jake delhomme's wobbly throws this preseason??? He threw many in the preseason game against the eagles but the field was very wet so I chalked this off to the conditions. Then, against the redskins, the touchdown pass to s. smith was again an ugly wobbler. :wacko:

Has anyone else noticed this???? Is this something that jake has always done or should there be some concerns about his surgically repaired arm? :D

No. He is fine, but was a little rusty in game conditions. The Colts game he threw one pass because they were running the ball so well and they only gave him two series that game. The Eagles game like you mention was a rainy mess that was interupted by lightning and was hard to throw. Once he threw a few passes he started getting into a rhythm and looked much better. The pass that you mention on the TD to Smith was likely an audible since he noticed single coverage with no safety over the top so he called the play and was rushing the throw to get it over to Steve to make his move before the safety came over to help. So the tight spiral on that throw isn't really needed, it is the quick decision that turned an audible into a TD and either 4 or 6 pts for his fantasy points for the week. :D

The thing that you should take from the Redskins game is the fact that he took that shot early in the game when he overthrow Steve on the first series. IF his elbow was still bothering him, I doubt he would have wanted to throw a bomb to Steve right away, but he let it fly and Steve almost made a great one handed grab.

I live here and follow the team daily and go to all the games.... I just drafted Jake myself as I think he is looking better and stronger than before this surgery. Hope that helps you with your concerns about his arm.

Edited by PSULions

I'd be more worried about the fact that the running game looks so damned solid that he might not have to throw it more than 25 times a game.

Well, I hear you on that, but the other thing is that the top notch running game will make the passing game much more effective to as the safety will need to cheat to help the run and Steve Smith may have to HUGH games thanks to the running game. If the Panthers can score 30 plus points with the running game complimenting the passing game, the Panthers key fantasy performers may have enough points to go around to make Delhomme, Stewart, DW and Steve Smith owners happy. It is early and still pre-season, but the offensive firepower on Saturday evening was something I haven't seen since the Beuerlein years when he exploded for that incredible season he had.

he hurt his thumb a few games ago, but nothing was reported and then he's been throwing wobbly passes since...

not to mention the fact that I am frightened by their OL situation.....you might as well start looking at the backup QB in Carolina...

he hurt his thumb a few games ago, but nothing was reported and then he's been throwing wobbly passes since...

not to mention the fact that I am frightened by their OL situation : .....you might as well start looking at the backup QB in Carolina...

:wacko:

I've said at least 7 or 8 times in these Carolina threads how their OL has a new starter at each position on the OL.....even the veterans moved to a new spot....

I'm just not buying that the chemistry will be there soon enough..

Fair enough. I watched them 2 times now and they have improved immensely with each game. I think the protection will be there, especially by mid-season.

Fair enough. I watched them 2 times now and they have improved immensely with each game. I think the protection will be there, especially by mid-season.

by mid-season is optimistic when there are 5 players trying to work on chemistry and are all trying to work with someone new....

pre-season hasn't shown how bad the OL will be.....I really think they are going to have a problem here....at least until week 10...

by mid-season is optimistic when there are 5 players trying to work on chemistry and are all trying to work with someone new....

pre-season hasn't shown how bad the OL will be.....I really think they are going to have a problem here....at least until week 10...

My ex wife used to call me Optimist Prime. Thanks for the compliment ... I think.

I've said at least 7 or 8 times in these Carolina threads how their OL has a new starter at each position on the OL.....even the veterans moved to a new spot....

I'm just not buying that the chemistry will be there soon enough..

I agree with your statement about the Panthers having 5 different starters in different positions and there could be protection issue with PASS blocking if someone misses their assignment. Jake was sacked twice on Saturday night, so you may be correct about chemistry issue regarding pass blocking However, I strongly disagree with you regarding your general blanket statement about the whole OL. The group has been practicing and working together for at least month (Fox was not mixing and matching different guys) and helped try to make them into a cohesive unit as quickly as possible. I think this is evident as run blocking is a little different than pass blocking. I was at the game and check out things on the field with my binoculars for things that are not shown on TV. I watch the OL and see how they react off the snap and can tell when someone is pulling and letting his guy go while he is blocking another defensive lineman to seal a block and open a hole for either DW or JStew. I did that several times on Saturday and it sure looks like to me that they are meshing pretty well already, at least with the run blocking. Remember, when it is a run play the OL have an advantage of knowing where the play is designed to go and it looks like they are executing well in the pre-season. When your two RBs gain 100 yds apiece in less than 3 quarters of work.... I say that is impressive pre-season or no pre-season. The Redskins had their first team defense on the field at the same time the Panthers first stringers were out there is it not like they were running up the stats against a bunch of guys that won't be on the Skins roster by next Saturday.

Wharton, Kahil and Gross all played together last year, so they already know each other, but just in different spots. Kahil was very highly regarded coming out of USC last year and seems to be doing well, calling the assigments for the blocking and is an upgrade from but we had at C last yearl. K. Vincent and Otah are doing well on the right side of the OL and Vincent is helping the rookie with many techniques as he is watching and learning as much as he can take from the veteran and the Panthers are pleased with him. Just an example for you.... Saturday night, one of the Redskins (don't remember who) jumped the smap and went way over the line right in front of Otah. The rookie kept in his stance until the DE was right in front of him and his instinct kicked in and he stood up to pass block, but was able to give the Panthers 5 yards because he was the one that DID NOT flinch and cause a penalty on the Offense.

Did you make your observations from watching the game on TV, or where you also in attendance last Saturday... just curious. I am definitely a Carolina Homer, but I also call them like I see them and I think your opinions are definitely off base on the new version of the OL. I am not trying to change your opinion... as it is just that... YOUR opinion, however, I am trying to add some additional value from my insights on my home team that I watch each week and follow the local news, sports talk radio and from the columns that the beat writers write. If I thought the Panthers were not showing improvement on the OL... I would certainly indicate that on anything I posted on the MB, as I like to try and help my fellow Huddlers with information on MY team, so I am unlike some other Homers that where nothing but rose colored glasses.

Have you seen anything in writing or from your observations that leads your strong opinions about the Panthers OL and their ability to build good chemistry? You seem like a pretty well informed poster on the board, so I am just curious why you think the Panthers are really going to struggle, despite what seems to be an OL that is opening holes for their RBs and doing a decent job at protecting Jake?

I agree with your statement about the Panthers having 5 different starters in different positions and there could be protection issue with PASS blocking if someone misses their assignment. Jake was sacked twice on Saturday night, so you may be correct about chemistry issue regarding pass blocking However, I strongly disagree with you regarding your general blanket statement about the whole OL. The group has been practicing and working together for at least month (Fox was not mixing and matching different guys) and helped try to make them into a cohesive unit as quickly as possible. I think this is evident as run blocking is a little different than pass blocking. I was at the game and check out things on the field with my binoculars for things that are not shown on TV. I watch the OL and see how they react off the snap and can tell when someone is pulling and letting his guy go while he is blocking another defensive lineman to seal a block and open a hole for either DW or JStew. I did that several times on Saturday and it sure looks like to me that they are meshing pretty well already, at least with the run blocking. Remember, when it is a run play the OL have an advantage of knowing where the play is designed to go and it looks like they are executing well in the pre-season. When your two RBs gain 100 yds apiece in less than 3 quarters of work.... I say that is impressive pre-season or no pre-season. The Redskins had their first team defense on the field at the same time the Panthers first stringers were out there is it not like they were running up the stats against a bunch of guys that won't be on the Skins roster by next Saturday.

Wharton, Kahil and Gross all played together last year, so they already know each other, but just in different spots. Kahil was very highly regarded coming out of USC last year and seems to be doing well, calling the assigments for the blocking and is an upgrade from but we had at C last yearl. K. Vincent and Otah are doing well on the right side of the OL and Vincent is helping the rookie with many techniques as he is watching and learning as much as he can take from the veteran and the Panthers are pleased with him. Just an example for you.... Saturday night, one of the Redskins (don't remember who) jumped the smap and went way over the line right in front of Otah. The rookie kept in his stance until the DE was right in front of him and his instinct kicked in and he stood up to pass block, but was able to give the Panthers 5 yards because he was the one that DID NOT flinch and cause a penalty on the Offense.

Did you make your observations from watching the game on TV, or where you also in attendance last Saturday... just curious. I am definitely a Carolina Homer, but I also call them like I see them and I think your opinions are definitely off base on the new version of the OL. I am not trying to change your opinion... as it is just that... YOUR opinion, however, I am trying to add some additional value from my insights on my home team that I watch each week and follow the local news, sports talk radio and from the columns that the beat writers write. If I thought the Panthers were not showing improvement on the OL... I would certainly indicate that on anything I posted on the MB, as I like to try and help my fellow Huddlers with information on MY team, so I am unlike some other Homers that where nothing but rose colored glasses.

Have you seen anything in writing or from your observations that leads your strong opinions about the Panthers OL and their ability to build good chemistry? You seem like a pretty well informed poster on the board, so I am just curious why you think the Panthers are really going to struggle, despite what seems to be an OL that is opening holes for their RBs and doing a decent job at protecting Jake?

I just go by history and even when a pro-bowler is added to an average OL the lack of chemistry is exploited early on in the season ...and not so much in camp or pre-season...

I don't have any specific facts about the run blocking other than the fact that the risk seems to heavily outweigh the reward and that's what I'm going off of since there are a bunch of upside RB's coupled in with Stewart and DeAngelo among RB's....I just happen to rank these 2 near the bottom of that tier because of their OL....same with Delhomme, someone else can draft him....

and I'd like nothing more than to add Stewart as I think he's a good player, along with Muhammed or Hackett....but that OL is one of the strongest warning signs I can get when avoiding a player (see: Larry Johnson in KC last year)

I could be way off here, but I see plenty of other young RB's who seem to have less risk and the same amount of reward that these two seem to have...

I just go by history and even when a pro-bowler is added to an average OL the lack of chemistry is exploited early on in the season ...and not so much in camp or pre-season...

I don't have any specific facts about the run blocking other than the fact that the risk seems to heavily outweigh the reward and that's what I'm going off of since there are a bunch of upside RB's coupled in with Stewart and DeAngelo among RB's....I just happen to rank these 2 near the bottom of that tier because of their OL....same with Delhomme, someone else can draft him....

and I'd like nothing more than to add Stewart as I think he's a good player, along with Muhammed or Hackett....but that OL is one of the strongest warning signs I can get when avoiding a player (see: Larry Johnson in KC last year)

I could be way off here, but I see plenty of other young RB's who seem to have less risk and the same amount of reward that these two seem to have...

that's nice. no go pick someone in 32 Homarrrrrs. :wacko:

I appreciate your thoughts on this... :wacko: Your opinion is based on history, I can appreciate that. I will base my opinion on current performance. It will be interesting to see which one of us is more correct.

I appreciate your thoughts on this... :wacko: Your opinion is based on history, I can appreciate that. I will base my opinion on current performance. It will be interesting to see which one of us is more correct.

exactly...I want to see them perform facing a legit blitz before I begin liking these players, but Delhomme is starting to remind me of a less mobile Chris Chandeleer....

that's why I keep looking to see who his backup is and I scratch my head...