[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting upgraded to FIOS

Big Country

So, as a long time DSL and AT&T customer, had an AT&T rep come by to say they are running FIOS through our beighborhood and that we could get upgraded for free and grandfathered in at my DSL price for the next 5 years with no contract. Also, they are throwing in a month of free TV to try get me to switch from Time Warner (wouldn't be hard to get me to do, if the quality is there).

So, IIRC Grits has been on FIOS for a while and I think a few others have. Can anyone share their experiences. Is the internet speed noticeable compared to DSL (I'm on a 3MB connection) Anyone have the TV service?

So, as a long time DSL and AT&T customer, had an AT&T rep come by to say they are running FIOS through our beighborhood and that we could get upgraded for free and grandfathered in at my DSL price for the next 5 years with no contract. Also, they are throwing in a month of free TV to try get me to switch from Time Warner (wouldn't be hard to get me to do, if the quality is there).

So, IIRC Grits has been on FIOS for a while and I think a few others have. Can anyone share their experiences. Is the internet speed noticeable compared to DSL (I'm on a 3MB connection) Anyone have the TV service?

I switched a few months ago from Cablevision to FIOS. Couldn't be happier. The internet speed was faster, both download and upload. TV service is at least equal to Cablevision. I don't have an HDMI connection on my seven year old rear projection TV. Maybe it would be better? I'll readily admit I'm not an expert on those things. They've added a ton of HD channels recently as well. Phone service is reliable, but not as many features as the Optimum voice product. Frankly I don't miss them.

One thing I'm puzzled by in your post. You say an AT&T rep came by to sell you FIOS? FIOS is a Verizon product.

I switched a few months ago from Cablevision to FIOS. Couldn't be happier. The internet speed was faster, both download and upload. TV service is at least equal to Cablevision. I don't have an HDMI connection on my seven year old rear projection TV. Maybe it would be better? I'll readily admit I'm not an expert on those things. They've added a ton of HD channels recently as well. Phone service is reliable, but not as many features as the Optimum voice product. Frankly I don't miss them.

One thing I'm puzzled by in your post. You say an AT&T rep came by to sell you FIOS? FIOS is a Verizon product.

AT&T has it now as well in our area.

AT&T has it now as well in our area.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this doesn't add up. FIOS is a Verizon branded product. AT&T and Verizon are competitors. I don't understand how AT&T could be selling FIOS. I checked out AT&T's website and find no mention of this product. There is something called U-Verse which appears to be similar to FIOS, but it's not FIOS.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this doesn't add up. FIOS is a Verizon branded product. AT&T and Verizon are competitors. I don't understand how AT&T could be selling FIOS. I checked out AT&T's website and find no mention of this product. There is something called U-Verse which appears to be similar to FIOS, but it's not FIOS.

AT&T is probably leasing FIOS lines and selling it for profit. This is common in NYC where TimeWarner has all the cable line but AOL tries to sell their package (off of leased Timewarner cable lines).

AT&T is probably leasing FIOS lines and selling it for profit. This is common in NYC where TimeWarner has all the cable line but AOL tries to sell their package (off of leased Timewarner cable lines).

Could be, but even so, they wouldn't be able to sell it branded as FIOS, would they? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm just trying to make sure BC gets feedback that is useful. If it's really a competitive service, then giving him feedback on FIOS won't be useful.

I believe FiOS stands for Fiber Optic Service. While the name FiOS has been branded by Verizon, the technology has not. AT&T's product is called U-Verse. I have DirecTV now, and was visited by a kid going door-to-door in our neighborhood. I bit, and signed up for installation. After thinking about it and doing some research, I found that the HD DVR they offer stores far, far less than the one that I currently had with DirecTV. Because of that, I cancelled the installation. I'm very interested in the product, but until they come out with an HD DVR with more storage capacity, I'm sticking with DirecTV.