[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dogs fighting...legal/moral question

The Hitter

I doubt he cares. He's merely an a-hole who preaches that there's one way and only one way to deal with things and then accuses anyone who disagrees of speaking in absolutes. That's enough for me. No need for you to show your qualifications around here SM, you have been and will certainly still remain the Huddle go-to for dog questions.

There you go , just because you've never heard of my way hey it must not be valid or are wrong. It's called an open mind. If your mind is to narrow to see that then go away We are all here to give opinions. Not only that but you went the the lower road with the A-hole response. I'd could go down your road and tell you to go back to your grease kitcken and make me some bacon and eggs but I'd rather not.

No I really do care. Dogs are my passion. I probably love them more then my wife. :wacko: I currently have a full kennel. I admit that upland dogs is my nack and not correcting behavior problems but I have worked with a hand full with good results. No matter who you ask you will always hear of a different method used in the dog world. Some work and some don't. I do believe in good breeding and not cross breeding to Josh Gordon not those sort of things. I cuurently have a GSP who got her MH taking 1/2 at the show in my home area. She will be going for the 2nd leg leg next week to complete the MH title. Group Winning, Multi Group Placing, BISS, CH Honey Run's Spittin Image, SH, NAII

(AmCan CH Honey Run's Shifting Gears, SH X Baretta vom Otterbach, MH, NAI, UTII, D1, AZP1, HN, SG)

So, yeah I crossed the line and lets leave the behavior area to SM.

Edited by Bird Dog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We actaully have more in common than you think. I have a Gordon Setter, whose father was a dual champion with his MH-DC AFC Wyld Torrent Brightstar MH. Griffin, my dog, has his JH, but I just didn't enjoy the field trial scene since I don't hunt myself. I enjoyed agility a lot more, although my dog enjoyed the field work a lot more. He has so much drive and instinct that I often feel bad that I did not give him the opportunity to follow in his father's footsteps.

I have always enjoyed the gun dog breeds and the Setters, GSP, and Griffons are my favorites.

Training for field trailing is a lot of work and takes a lot of time and skill. I do appreciate what it takes, and congratulate you for the titles you have put on your dogs.

We actaully have more in common than you think. I have a Gordon Setter, whose father was a dual champion with his MH-DC AFC Wyld Torrent Brightstar MH. Griffin, my dog, has his JH, but I just didn't enjoy the field trial scene since I don't hunt myself. I enjoyed agility a lot more, although my dog enjoyed the field work a lot more. He has so much drive and instinct that I often feel bad that I did not give him the opportunity to follow in his father's footsteps.

I have always enjoyed the gun dog breeds and the Setters, GSP, and Griffons are my favorites.

Training for field trailing is a lot of work and takes a lot of time and skill. I do appreciate what it takes, and congratulate you for the titles you have put on your dogs.

Sugar,

You're too kind. As Det said, you are still our #1 dog resource.

I may have been here too long, but there are some standards for credibility! When a noob starts posting about any prowess I am suspicious. We all have gone thru a weeding process, but I am an old timer here and will always say "You have to Earn your bones!".

Someone...anyone new...jumping on a board, espousing a great knowledge on some subject leaves me suspect.

Bird Dog,

Cool your jets! Please! If you want to be a respected member here don't attack solid members. While I may have a wacko dog, there is no reason to attack SM! If you want to be here for the long haul, heed my advice. If not go your own way and your member # will be purged like sooo many others. It's your choice...choose wisely. PM me if you want.

rr26

There you go , just because you've never heard of my way hey it must not be valid or are wrong. It's called an open mind. If your mind is to narrow to see that then go away We are all here to give opinions. Not only that but you went the the lower road with the A-hole response. I'd could go down your road and tell you to go back to your grease kitcken and make me some bacon and eggs but I'd rather not.

No I really do care. Dogs are my passion. I probably love them more then my wife. :wacko: I currently have a full kennel. I admit that upland dogs is my nack and not correcting behavior problems but I have worked with a hand full with good results. No matter who you ask you will always hear of a different method used in the dog world. Some work and some don't. I do believe in good breeding and not cross breeding to Josh Gordon not those sort of things. I cuurently have a GSP who got her MH taking 1/2 at the show in my home area. She will be going for the 2nd leg leg next week to complete the MH title. Group Winning, Multi Group Placing, BISS, CH Honey Run's Spittin Image, SH, NAII

(AmCan CH Honey Run's Shifting Gears, SH X Baretta vom Otterbach, MH, NAI, UTII, D1, AZP1, HN, SG)

So, yeah I crossed the line and lets leave the behavior area to SM.

Hey jerky, go find the nearest mirror and read the top paragraph in the post you just made to the first guy you see. That's exactly my point. I have not made one single comment about the manner in which you feel dogs should be trained. I have not attacked your opinions on how dogs should be trained nor implied that they're not valid. I have done nothing more than point out that the guy here who is hell bent on telling everyone here, including someone who very obviously knows a lot about the topic is dead wrong is also quick to complain about people talking in absolutes the second they say something he doesn't agree with.

To quote someone who barely deserves being quoted: "If your mind is too narrow to see that..."

So, be a dear and shut the hell up.

Oh, and the a-hole comment... If the shoe fits my friend.

Hey jerky, go find the nearest mirror and read the top paragraph in the post you just made to the first guy you see. That's exactly my point. I have not made one single comment about the manner in which you feel dogs should be trained. I have not attacked your opinions on how dogs should be trained nor implied that they're not valid. I have done nothing more than point out that the guy here who is hell bent on telling everyone here, including someone who very obviously knows a lot about the topic is dead wrong is also quick to complain about people talking in absolutes the second they say something he doesn't agree with.

To quote someone who barely deserves being quoted: "If your mind is too narrow to see that..."

So, be a dear and shut the hell up.

Oh, and the a-hole comment... If the shoe fits my friend.

I never said my way is the only way. All I'm saying is i dont understand how you're going to accomplish anything with the so called gentle collar. If you can find me one well known professional dog trainer that recommends using it them themselves i'd be suprised. I'm done now. You're right and from now on I will call you OZ.

I never said my way is the only way. All I'm saying is i dont understand how you're going to accomplish anything with the so called gentle collar. If you can find me one well known professional dog trainer that recommends using it them themselves i'd be suprised. I'm done now. You're right and from now on I will call you OZ.

A dog training organization I belong to with about 7,500 members, I'd say about 95% of them recommend the gentle leader for dogs who really pull on lead or have aggression issues. www.apdt.com

Also they are used excusively by Canine Companions, the organization who trains dogs for the disabled. The dogs are put on Gentle Leaders when they are 10 weeks old, and some spend the rest of their lives helping the disabled with the Gentle Leader head collar on at all times. I have trained some of these service dogs during the first 20 months of their lives, before they go on to more extensive training, so I know they are used. I am working with a service to be dog right now. I teach them the basics, and the next step is to teach them to open refrigerators, turn off light switches, pick up telephones, etc. which takes a trainer qualifed to teach these higher level skills, which I don't have.

The Gentle Leader is also used by Guide Dogs for the Blind when training the basic skills for the first 14 months of their lives before going into a harness for extensive training. I know this as well because my cousin works for Guide Dogs.

They are not used in your field of training, and I can't really comment why since I am not an expert in field dog training. In other practices their benefits are when on, the dog feels there is control, and it teaches them to be calm and at your side at all times. It was taken from horse training and benefits are similar to putting a horse halter on a horse.

A dog training organization I belong to with about 7,500 members, I'd say about 95% of them recommend the gentle leader for dogs who really pull on lead or have aggression issues. www.apdt.com

Also they are used excusively by Canine Companions, the organization who trains dogs for the disabled. The dogs are put on Gentle Leaders when they are 10 weeks old, and some spend the rest of their lives helping the disabled with the Gentle Leader head collar on at all times. I have trained some of these service dogs during the first 20 months of their lives, before they go on to more extensive training, so I know they are used. I am working with a service to be dog right now. I teach them the basics, and the next step is to teach them to open refrigerators, turn off light switches, pick up telephones, etc. which takes a trainer qualifed to teach these higher level skills, which I don't have.

The Gentle Leader is also used by Guide Dogs for the Blind when training the basic skills for the first 14 months of their lives before going into a harness for extensive training. I know this as well because my cousin works for Guide Dogs.

They are not used in your field of training, and I can't really comment why since I am not an expert in field dog training. In other practices their benefits are when on, the dog feels there is control, and it teaches them to be calm and at your side at all times. It was taken from horse training and benefits are similar to putting a horse halter on a horse.

Good stuff Sugar! :wacko: My dog is a whack, but this leader really helped us a lot!

Making a payment is a form of admitting guilt

I'm not sure of the context in which you speak, but as far as any possible civil lawsuit goes, no way can offering to pay be used to prove guilt, unless the court in question has some really odd rules of evidence.

You could submit this to your homeowners insurance carrier, and they will probably raise your premium in response, if covered by the policy. Would the result cost you as much as paying the vet bill? Maybe, over time. Maybe not.

Do I think it unreasonable for you to, after consideration, offer to pay 1/2 the bill? Not really. But, IMO, you said that you would pay, so you should do the honorable thing and pay.

What he said.