[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

VIKINGS DEFENSE

michaelman

Any other Frustrated Vikings Defense owners out there?........ I actually spent a mid level draft pick for them.

I lost by 15 today... mainly b/c Perry and Fred Taylor did NOTHING with their awesome match ups.

Mason Crosby did nothing

and finally.. the topic of Discussion.. my MINNESOTA VIKINGS DEFENSE gave me ONE POINT.

Now they have been DUDS for the past 3 out of 4 weeks. last week seems like it was just a lucky game... THOUGHTS?

Any other Frustrated Vikings Defense owners out there?........ I actually spent a mid level draft pick for them.

That's your problem. D's are second only to kickers in terms on how impossible it is to predict who the best ones will be year to year. Continue to load up on solid position players while everyone else is grabbing last year's darling D and then grab 2 at the end of the draft that you think might have a chance either because they have talent or play in a division with crappy teams.

At least you'll have two shots at your D working out and you'll be using picks that other are taking scrub after thoughts with.

Yeah, I blew a late 8th round pick on them. I figured they'd at least be SOLID, if not #1, and they had a late BYE, which is always nice.

But given that, what's wrong? Why are they failing to stop teams, get any sacks, or force any turnovers? I knew they had some injuries, are they still short-handed?

their team sucks! I'm a viking fan and there defense is middle of the road at best. It all went to hell when some afc team took our best coach. No-good The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They were still the worst pass defense in the NFL. It doesn't help when your offense turns the ball over 4 times. It seems they start out slow. The scouting report is out 3 step drops and get rid of the ball quick. Our pass defense sucks.

1) Defenses fail to hit their fantasy potential when their respective offenses can't keep them off the field, especially in leagues where scoring depends heavily on points and yards against. The same thing is going to happen to the NEP defense this year... They're going to struggle at times due to the offense's ineptitude.

2) They've always been one of those defenses that plays WAY better at home than on the road, partially because of the crowd noise factor. There were a couple of exceptions last year, one being the Dallas game, in which the defense single-handedly kept the Vikings in the game for 3 1/2 quarters.

3) Their secondary hasn't played well enough for the studly D-line to be a factor, in terms of sacks and turnovers. It's hard for Allen and company to get to the quarterback when the opposing QB can find somebody open within the first 3 seconds of the play 75% of the time.

4) Last year, it almost seemed as though the league was caught off-guard by AP, especially during the first half of the season. Teams fell behind and were forced to throw, and Minnesota used that to their advantage... lots of defensive TD's, etc. This year, it feels like the league has finally figured Minnesota out... stop AP and force them to throw. Minnesota's struggles have not only kept the defense on the field more, but it has also taken away the need for their opponents to force the issue on offense. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think it's harder to be aggressive and take advantage of your opponent's mistakes when the opponent feels less of a sense of urgency to score.

I think the MIN defense is an excellent "platoon" defense that can be started for the majority of their home games, and a couple on the road. But, if you drafted them early, thinking that they are going to be stellar every week, you're going to be very disappointed. And, if the offense continues to struggle as much as it has, the number of games where they are a solid start gets cut in half, in my opinion.

Any1 know?

Gee, I'm sorry that the actual answer to your question is that you shouldn't be at all surprised that the Vikings D is not dominant and the only problem is that you overpaid for them but that's pretty much it. I mean, one of the two Ds I grabbed off the scrap heap in the 2nd to last round of the draft was Carolina. They're doing OK but nothing great. Should I be asking why they're not doing better? Why should I, right? I shouldn't expect them to be doing much better than they are. That's the thing about Ds though, you should never expect much out of them fantasy wise from one year to the next.