[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guitar Hero vs Rock Band

gbpfan1231

My 9 year old nephew is turning 10 in 2 weeks and I was thinking of buying him either Guitar Hero or Rock band and have a few questions...

Is Rock Band or Guitar hero better - what is the difference and what makes one better than the other?

He has a WII and an older PS2 - Does it matter which system to get it for?

He is left handed. Are there any left nahded guitars or can you still use the guitars with either a left or a right?

Thanks in advance and if this has been posted already I apologize but figured all of my questions have not been asked previously.

Never played Guitar Hero.

Rockband = bass, electric, drums, and singing all at the same time or any combo/solo therein. Guitar can by played either hand. We have it for the Wii. Rock Band is much better if you want to have his friends over. Probably just the same as Guitar Hero if he only plays by himself and only plays guitar.

Don't expect him to be able to play a real instrument by playing either game.

I consider it "Tetris with an instrument." Just have to hit the buttons when the tetris bar reaches the bottom.

And all you hear as a non-player is banging / tapping / clicking instead of the song. This part is annoying.

Edited by Riffraff

Never played Guitar Hero.

Rockband = bass, electric, drums, and singing all at the same time or any combo/solo therein. Guitar can by played either hand. We have it for the Wii. Rock Band is much better if you want to have his friends over. Probably just the same as Guitar Hero if he only plays by himself and only plays guitar.

Don't expect him to be able to play a real instrument by playing either game.

I consider it "Tetris with an instrument." Just have to hit the buttons when the tetris bar reaches the bottom.

And all you hear as a non-player is banging / tapping / clicking instead of the song. This part is annoying.

What do you mean all you hear is the banging/clicking? You can't hear the song playing through the TV as a spectator??? Does not seem right to me?

What do you mean all you hear is the banging/clicking? You can't hear the song playing through the TV as a spectator??? Does not seem right to me?

If you turn up the volume real load, sure. But that's not good for their ears and they can't play it whenever they want to.

Think of the drums as hitting empty boxes instead of actual drum sounds. The guitar is pressing a plastic button and thumbing a switch instead of making guitar sounds. Click-click-click-click-click-click. Pretty much all you hear.

You hear these sounds more than you do the "music" they are making.

If you are actually playing the game, you don't notice much. But non-players definitely do.

Edited by Riffraff

Rock Band is much better if you want to have his friends over. Probably just the same as Guitar Hero if he only plays by himself and only plays guitar.

Not so. Guitar Hero World Tour has drums, bass and vocals. Haven't played it yet, but it looks on par with Rock Band.

some other notes...

the guitars are not interchangeable. ie if you buy guitar hero the guitar does not work for rock band and vice versa. I believe they are working on more universal instruments but they haven't gotten there yet. I bought guitar hero first and this was the main reason I didn't buy rock band.

the new guitar hero that comes out this month will have velocity sesative drums with two cymbols up top. to my knowledge rock band does not have that feature yet and only includes four drum pads.

the playstation version of rock band allows you to purchase and download additional songs online. the wii version of the game does not have that feature yet.

the guitar for rock band does seem to be better built and not as loud. as others have stated the guitar hero guitar makes a loud clicking noise when you strum. not a big deal to me but maybe to some.

More good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_(video_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_hero_world_tour

Edited by myhousekey

Never played Rock Band but my 20 year old and his friends do. We all play Guitar Hero and we all, (entire family), love to play the game. I think I really like it because of the songs and the kids like it so much because they can beat the crap out of me. My 20 Y.O. wants to get World Tour as he thinks that is better than Rock Band. Having said that, Rock Band would be the choice if it was Rock Band or Guitar Hero if he was doing the picking.