[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another flat screen thread

detlef

For wall mounted flat screens, what do you guys do to hide all of the exposed wires (power, cable, components, etc.)? Do you run the wiring through your walls (if so how hard is this to do) or do you cover them up with something, or just leave them exposed?

That is the million dollar question that I've been grappling with. First off, we've got our DVD to deal with so, at very least, we need to put in a shelf to take care of that. Then there's the wires. They do make strips that you can paint the color of your wall to hide them. Kinda pricey and I think I'm just going to fashion my own out of some strips of wood I have.

So, at this point, my plan is to mount a shelf either directly above or below the TV and place my dvd player on that. then I'm going to hide the wires from the TV down to the plug right below it. I've contemplated running everything up through the wall and may, if inspired, do so.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the million dollar question that I've been grappling with. First off, we've got our DVD to deal with so, at very least, we need to put in a shelf to take care of that. Then there's the wires. They do make strips that you can paint the color of your wall to hide them. Kinda pricey and I think I'm just going to fashion my own out of some strips of wood I have.

So, at this point, my plan is to mount a shelf either directly above or below the TV and place my dvd player on that. then I'm going to hide the wires from the TV down to the plug right below it. I've contemplated running everything up through the wall and may, if inspired, do so.

Another option, if you want to hide everything would be to run the cables to another room, closet, or basement. Then get a universal remote with a radio signal. I know its another purchase, but to have everything hidden and a nice clean flat panel on the wall, may be worth it. Other than that I would run the cables behind the wall. IMO running cables is a terrible experience but worth it in the end.

Another option, if you want to hide everything would be to run the cables to another room, closet, or basement. Then get a universal remote with a radio signal. I know its another purchase, but to have everything hidden and a nice clean flat panel on the wall, may be worth it. Other than that I would run the cables behind the wall. IMO running cables is a terrible experience but worth it in the end.

What is the picture quality if you use a radio signal? Would you get the same hi-def signal as you would using cables?

What is the picture quality if you use a radio signal? Would you get the same hi-def signal as you would using cables?

Cameltosis is talking about radio frequency universal remotes. There are three kinds of universal remotes. Those that that send a radio signal (RF), those that send infrared (IR), and those that send both.

IR is the most basic and cheapest. This is the kind of remote we are all used to. You need a clear line of sight between the remote and the component for it to work correctly. Remotes with RF are more expensive because RF remotes can send signals through walls. So you can completely hide all your gadgets in a closet, the next room, whatever... It give a cleaner look to the decor to only see a TV.

So, it doesn't have to do with the quality of the TV picture. It is only about the method of delivering signals that change the channel, switch between components, raise/lower volume, etc.

Cameltosis is talking about radio frequency universal remotes. There are three kinds of universal remotes. Those that that send a radio signal (RF), those that send infrared (IR), and those that send both.

IR is the most basic and cheapest. This is the kind of remote we are all used to. You need a clear line of sight between the remote and the component for it to work correctly. Remotes with RF are more expensive because RF remotes can send signals through walls. So you can completely hide all your gadgets in a closet, the next room, whatever... It give a cleaner look to the decor to only see a TV.

So, it doesn't have to do with the quality of the TV picture. It is only about the method of delivering signals that change the channel, switch between components, raise/lower volume, etc.

Ahhhhhhh... got it. Thanks for clarifying. :wacko:

detlef......i didnt read all 4 pages but fwiw, i have the 37" Panasonic Plasma.

Got it a couple years back and to this day, I still haven't seen a better picture on any other plasma or flat screen.

I ruled out LCD, and still do.....I can see the motion blur and it drives me nuts and gives me a headache.

It's at it's worst watching sports. I might get a small LCD for the bedroom, cuz I'm half asleep anyway.

sitting distance from the tv is crucial to the size you get. I got the 37 cuz I'm at most 10 ft from the screen

(long, narrow room) any further and i would have gone to the 42 or bigger. To have a HUGH screen, you really need to be

far back off of it to appreciate it.....but for me, plasma is the only way to go. And Panasonic. (Sony and Phillips close 2nd)

Got it a couple years back and to this day, I still haven't seen a better picture on any other plasma or flat screen.

I ruled out LCD, and still do.....I can see the motion blur and it drives me nuts and gives me a headache.

It's at it's worst watching sports. I might get a small LCD for the bedroom, cuz I'm half asleep anyway.

sitting distance from the tv is crucial to the size you get. I got the 37 cuz I'm at most 10 ft from the screen

(long, narrow room) any further and i would have gone to the 42 or bigger. To have a HUGH screen, you really need to be

far back off of it to appreciate it.....but for me, plasma is the only way to go. And Panasonic. (Sony and Phillips close 2nd)

We're thrilled with the 42" Panasonic. We could get away with a 37 for the reasons you give about the size of the room but this one doesn't seem too big either.

We still haven't upgraded our cable because, for whatever reason, when I did the channel scan, HD versions of NBC and CBS were located so I get those for free and the ESPN picture is really, really nice. FOX is not exceptional but not bad and besides my football, we pretty much just watch DVDs, so the other channels that we could get HD with don't matter as much.

Because of some screw-up on the part of the Cable company, we've been getting the standard package despite being only charged for the total bare bones version for the last few years. So, rather than simply upgrading from about $50 a month to $65 or whatever it would cost to get HD on all the channels, it's really going from $12 to $65 which is $600 per year we don't feel like paying.

werd - but homie, yer leaving out the best Plasma's on the market.period. - Pioneer

Panny is a great panel, but Pioneer is #1