[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I really like John McCain

detlef

Back in 2004, I really thought he was a guy that could make me vote GOP. Unfortunately, as the campaign for '08 began, it seemed like he allowed himself to slip from what I thought were his ideals and fall more in line with a version of the GOP that truly bothered me. That was pretty much enough for me. As much as anything else, I was petrified that our country wouldn't see the last 8 years as about as good a reason as we could ever have to drastically change course.

I don't really fault him for that. It's no revelation that these guys need to bend and give into party pressures in order to get as far as they get. This was no different. None the less, it was encouraging to see his true colors shine through pretty often. When he scolded people at his own rallies for saying stupid things about Obama really stands out. When he assured them that, regardless of their different opinion on what was right for this country, that nobody needed to question for a moment that his rival truly wanted to make this country better.

However, at no time was this more apparent than the truly heartfelt and genuine speech he gave last night. That is a man who does love his country above nearly all else and I'm proud to have people like him in charge of deciding what course our country takes going forward. Trust me, I understand that the Democratic party, if left unchecked, can do as much harm to this country as I felt the GOP did from 2000-2006. It is my hope that people like him provide a better counter-point than, perhaps, most Democrats did vs Bush. I also hope (actually feel rather confident) that Obama will be a more receptive president to the issues and concerns he brings up on behalf of his party and constituents. I really like our chances here.

From the first debate on, I felt comfortable knowing that one of these guys was going to be my next president. I truly feel that way. It just so happens the guy I preferred won. However, for the first time in some time, I wasn't petrified about the other option.

:wacko:

Just kidding. I appreciate both your and cowboyz posts. :wacko:

Thanks. And to be honest, I'm a little bummed at what appears to be a knee-jerk voting trend in congress. I don't know all the candidates, but it seems as if several very qualified and good senators and reps got caught up in the undertow and lost their seats for no fault of their own. Hopefully those who were able to take advantage of the wave prove their mettle.

Though I should add, E Dole needed to go, so that's one that I refuse to include in that category.

McCain was pure class last night. Oh, that he had prevailed in 2000. How much better things would be.

He actually gave the better speech last night IMO. Many of those who voted fro McCain didn't deserve something like that. Hats off to the old man.