[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Obamanation

Jimmy Neutron

Yep, I'll admit the express pump action is loud and clunky. That said, its been a great gun over the years for small game and I have dropped a few deer with it as well. Its been a very reliable gun. But I'm just not into the finer details of guns like you guys are. My only remaining rifle is my Marlin 336 in .35 rem (i've sold off the rest). Old school for sure compared to what you guys into, but I love that old beast, and it'll drop a frickin moose.

I love Marlin lever guns. My very first firearm was a Marlin Original Golden 39A .22 LR. I just passed it on to my oldest son a few years ago - that made me cry for a couple of reasons. :D I had to buy another one I could call my own - I bought another Model 39.

It soulds like WV is a better man with a rifle, but I have pulled off a couple of awesome shots with that little 39A. When I was 15, I knocked a duck out of the air with it about 70 yards away. It had just flared coming toward is and it was climbing with after burners on. The three friends with me were :wacko: I also won a steak dinner from a buddy when he couldn't hit a standing jack rabbit at just over 200 yards. I was completely :D when I told him I could kill it with my open-sighted .22, but I took my shot and he fell over dead with a bullet through the head. To this day, I don't know which was better - the shot itself or my acting like I knew I could do it all along. :D

Dude, don't get me wrong at all. Leverguns are my absolute favorite. I have a marlin 336 in .30-30, an 1895 in .45-70 and a henry lever .22. I put ghost rings on them and that's what I go shoot arial targets with. I'm trying to work on speed. Most places that throw clays don't have a good backstop for rifle shooting though...

Wait, your shooting wing targets with a rifle :wacko: I'm definitely bush league.

Wait, your shooting wing targets with a rifle :wacko: I'm definitely bush league.

No, you aren't. It's all about practice. I have read a TON of Ed McGivern and Jeff Cooper, and they were my inspiration (though I'm much better with a rifle than a handgun, with the possible exception of my officer's model and my Ruger Mk II). I grew up on a farm in WV in a family of veterans and hunters and started shooting at 8, and since I was small for my age until about age 15-16, shotguns were a little big for me. I just started with an old winchester .22 semi-auto and started shooting at squirrels moving on the branches and chipmunks in the woodpile. From there I moved on to hand-thrown clays, beer cans, etc. I have very good eyes, so I only put scopes on guns that I intend to do most business with over 150 yards. Plus I shoot (including .22's) between 9-12K rounds/year.

Then I read Unintended Consequences and realized I needed WAY more practice...

And although I think it's folly to outlaw them, I'd never own a machine gun. I've tried and just can't hit squat with the M-16, MP-5 and STEN's that I've shot.

And although I think it's folly to outlaw them, I'd never own a machine gun. I've tried and just can't hit squat with the M-16, MP-5 and STEN's that I've shot.

3-round burst is awesome though. I wish my new AR had "Burst" on the selector.

3-round burst is awesome though. I wish my new AR had "Burst" on the selector.

I really can't hit much faster with that than straight semi. Unless I'm going from the hip my third shot is usually high/wide, so :wacko:

What I'd love to have is the $100K to spend on a real fine old turn-of-the-century English double. One that was taking down buffalo and elephant about the time my great-grandfather was born.

I really can't hit much faster with that than straight semi. Unless I'm going from the hip my third shot is usually high/wide, so :wacko:

What I'd love to have is the $100K to spend on a real fine old turn-of-the-century English double. One that was taking down buffalo and elephant about the time my great-grandfather was born.

Kinda funny isn't it - those Brits can't figure out dental work, but they make truly amazing guns. The old double rifles are cool - they made some beautiful shotguns back in the day too.

I sometimes let my mind wander and imagine haning out with Teddy Roosevelt on some of his adventures. He carried some fine weapons and had the stones to get into the thick of things with them. One of my real dream hunts is to chase Cape Buffalo with a hugh bore double. Hemingway wrote of such hunts so beautifully sometimes I feel like I've been - except my shorts are still clean. :D

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Sheesh......I'm SUCH a gurl. This entire thread is over my head.

I'm obviously not in Sarah Palin's league when it comes to weaponry of any kind. :wacko:

The only "weaponry" you need to know how to use littl' girly is da ones God gave ya at birth! Yeeee HAWWWW! :D