[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vinyl record collection value question

whomper

My Dad has about 200-300 old albums that he has had for a long time and he is looking to sell them. I am trying to get my mother to list them but she is saying she doesnt have the time. There is someone coming to the house to evaluate them and make an offer. I obviously dont want to see him get ripped off. I am going to work hard on seeing if I can get them listed. I would say better than 85 % of these are in mint/playing condition. I am sure when they dig in there may be some that are warped but at first glance it looked liked a majority were in very good shape. I saw a lot of Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Dorsey, Miller , Sinatra, and a nice amount of obscure stuff as well. I dont know Jazz so what may be obscure to me may be common to someone in the know. Some of the things were live battle of the bands . Live battles between sax players. Live Battle between Puddy and Tim C.

My question that is not very possible to answer without the list is this. Assuming he has 200 great condition albums mixed between big popular names and obscure ones what kind of number do you think he is legitimately looking at ? I would say almost all of them are at least over 30 years old TIA

Edited by whomper

I don't know how much they are worth, but I would have to guess that now would be a terrible time to try to sell them given the downturn in the market. People aren't going to have a lot of extra wealth laying around that they can use to buy stuff like this. :wacko:

most albums aren't going to be worth much. some are potentially worth a nice price. usually, one of a couple factors will drive up the price -- one, if it's music that was never reissued on CD. that is where the big names are going to work against you. for example, I am pretty sure everything duke ellington ever recorded has been reissued multiple times in multiple formats. the second factor driving up price would be historical value. something that was a limited edition, or a first pressing, that sort of thing. pretty much like with rare books, and with the same caveats -- like condition of the item changing the price you can get exponentially. I'd be interested to see a list of what he's sitting on.

ebay should give you a pretty good idea of values on particular items. the other option would be contacting some sort of dealer, seeing if he'll buy the lot. either way I wouldn't really get your hopes up for massive amounts of coin. probably a few hundred bucks tops unless he's sitting on some real rarities.