[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With the current rash of store closings

SEC=UGA

I decided to try and find a list o fthe oldest US companies still around... I found this on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

and was amazed at how far back some corporations go, especially in other parts of the world. I have only looked at the list briefly, but am sure there are some on there that are now out of business. Just thought some people may be interested ot see when some of these companies were founded.

The one that amazed me is Berkshire Hathaway was founded in 1839.

ETA:

Also I am amazed that some of the oldest companies still in existance, throughout the world, are breweries. God, as a sepcies we're a bunch of drunks.

Edited by SEC=UGA

I decided to try and find a list o fthe oldest US companies still around... I found this on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

and was amazed at how far back some corporations go, especially in other parts of the world. I have only looked at the list briefly, but am sure there are some on there that are now out of business. Just thought some people may be interested ot see when some of these companies were founded.

The one that amazed me is Berkshire Hathaway was founded in 1839.

ETA:

Also I am amazed that some of the oldest companies still in existance, throughout the world, are breweries. God, as a sepcies we're a bunch of drunks.

what makes breweries pretty strong as companies , is that when people are happy they drink , when they are sad they drink , when they are bored they drink and when they have celebrations they drink ...always a need for alcohol apparently

You have to keep in mind that when company A buys company B they can use the date company B was established if it is older than company A.

Understood, but, for a branded peoduct to have been around since, say, the 600's AD is pretty freaking impressive.

This reminds me , St Peters is going to have a huge 1200 year anniversary bash in December ..Vienna will be hopping baby and will nevre be the same ..Free Weiner schnitzels all night long :wacko:

Year Link Company Country of origin Field

808 [st. Peter Austria Restaurant Vienna , Austria

That's Beretta, right? They are the oldest ongoing concern in existence, if memory serves.

Nope, they were founded in 1526, some 950 years after Kongo Gumi, a construction company in Japan and are not even the oldest Italian company still in existance, Marinelli was founded in 1,000 some 526 years before Beretta.

Very, very interesting....

Its a sad day in my little beach community. Mervins is closing its doors. There has been a mad rush recently as they are selling there entire inventory at 75% off. Mervins has been here as long as I can remember and besides the obvious fast food chains, it remained the only other corporate retail store within the city limits. I guess a population of barely 20k, coupled with the recession forced the powers that be to close the doors.