[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MLB - End of Year Awards

muck

Out of curiosity, who do you like for the end of the year MLB awards?

For hitters, I look for lots of runs created (i.e., RBIs, Runs, SBs, HRs, and OBP)...for pitchers, I look for ERA first (because it's really the only thing they are in control over...they are not in charge of run support), opponents batting average and W-L percentage...

AL MVP - Carlos Delgado, OF, Toronto, .299 BA, 37 HRs, 133 RBIs (leads league), 111 Runs, .424 OBP

AL Cy Young - Pedro Martinez, P, Boston, 2.25 ERA (half a point better than second place!), 14 - 4, 204 SOs (leads league)...plus opponents batting average is absolutely tiny! [a close 2nd place to Roy Halladay, Toronto only because Pedro didn't have as many wins]

AL ROY - Angel Berroa, SS, KC Royals, .293 BA, 17HRs, 73 RBIs, 91 Runs, 21 SB

NL MVP - Albert Pujols, OF, St. Louis, .365 BA, 43 HRs, 124 RBIs, 133 Runs

NL Cy Young - Jason Schmidt, P, SF, 2.34 ERA (leads league), 17-5, 208 SOs...plus opponents batting average is much better than Mark Prior's...

NL ROY - absolutely no idea...

Winer:

What about Matsui for AL Rook?  Even though he looks about 45 years old...   :D  

I have a VERY hard time giving the ROY year award to anyone who has played pro ball in Japan for several years prior to coming over...

While he is classified as a rookie according to the 'rules', Matsui is hardly a rookie. Berroa, on the other hand, is a rookie through-and-through.

Winer

NL Rookie of the Year is likely either Dontrelle Willis of the Marlins or Brandon Webb of the D'backs.   Both have hit the wall in the past month though...

Don't forget Scott Podsednik. .314 avg, 43 SB (2nd in the NL) and should score 100 runs - making him the 4th guy since 1900 to accomplish that trifecta. He only started about 150 games as well. .991 fielding pct and had a 47-game streak of reaching base safely.

Sure he plays for the lowly Brewers, but ROY isn't as nebulous as "MVP" - it goes to the BEST rookie, and Podsednik definitely deserves consideration.