[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2008 Console Wars: Who Won

TimC

I find PC gaming too expensive to maintain and hate games like world of warcraft and all of that...

but I'm not sure what other things PC gaming offers..

Well, I am a fan of MMo's. What dont you like about em? Aside from MMO's, I love Real Time Strategy (RTS) games online like Dawn of War and Warcraft 3 and First Person Shooters (FPS) like Unreal Tournament. I just don't see how you can play these games without a proper keyboard. And I feel so lonely in consoles..

Well, I am a fan of MMo's. What dont you like about em? Aside from MMO's, I love Real Time Strategy (RTS) games online like Dawn of War and Warcraft 3 and First Person Shooters (FPS) like Unreal Tournament. I just don't see how you can play these games without a proper keyboard. And I feel so lonely in consoles..

they are just too involved for me....too time consuming...

I rarely beat any of my games anyways....they are usually just great entertainment value...

search the terms linux install ps3...might be called yellowdog, but there is probably something way better available...

Thanks for the info. I'm not really interested in messing with the OS on my PS3 but wanted to point out that it did have the capability.

My kid's godfather wanted to get the kids a karaoke system for Christmas, but when we realized they wouldn't be able to read along yet (two 6 and a 3 year old), he got them a Wii instead. I was TOTALLY against any gaming system. I do not see the benefit of exercising your thumbs when you can play on a PC and learn how to use a computer while learning other things as well.

The Wii to me, is the exception. This game is great for when the weather doesn't allow outside play. They have to be relatively active and move their whole bodies. We got two controllers to avoid the "taking turns" issue, and I am looking at getting four (doubles tennis). My son wants to challenge me to a round of golf, a tennis match or a round or two of boxing (if his sisters have pissed him off) as soon as I walk in the house. Sure, it isn't real golf, but I used to love to play before a major back injury, and there are enough elements in the game that make it a fun enough substitute. They also got another game with a floor mat (Outdoor adventure I think) and we haven't even cracked the box yet, still playing the games that came with the unit (Wii Sports). We had two days of bowling tournaments with my family that were staying with us over Christmas. It was a lot of fun and a lot of laughs while the alcohol flowed freely.

In these games, what I like about them is that it does teach consistency in total body mechanics. You really do have to do the same thing with the same motion to be successful. Then the variance of things like wind and terrain (in the golf game) or hooking the bowling ball allow for adjusting the basic movements according to the situation. It is not the real sport, but it does go beyond simple hand/eye coordination and takes it to body/eye coordination.

I agree that the graphics are not cutting edge, but the characters and simplicity of them help children to remember it is a game and not a "real" event. Kids can get too serious or involved with more "real" looking games, and I think that this helps them to distinguish between the two. They are crisp and clean and lend themselves perfectly to the applications for the Wii.

From what I can tell, GH World Tour has a Karaoke component to it and there are Karaoke options for it, so the Wii seems to have killed two birds with one stone. The drummer set in GH is much more like playing a real instrument than the guitar. I could see at least drumming lessons and other real learning applications for this system.

I have been pleasantly surprised and use it myself much more than I imagined I would.

Edited by McBoog

Before this devolves into a total fan-boy flame war, I'd like to ask two questions of Avernus.

One of the comments you made in the pros/cons post was regarding "must have" exclusive titles for each. I went looking around the net and tried to find a comprehensive list of exclusives for each platform so I could make a reasoned case one way or the other. I couldn't find anything solid. Mostly short lists of favorites or lists specific to "coming soon". Do you know where I could find such a list?

Secondly, how do you define exclusive? Are we strictly speaking of consoles here or does the PC come into play. For example, Mass Effect on the 360 is a very good game and was exclusive to the 360 before it was ported to the PC. Would this still be a 360 exclusive in your definition since it is not available on other consoles?

i found this. seems that this list excludes titles that also appear on PC (like "mass effect") and is limited to 2008 releases (so the first "gears of war" for the 360 and "resistance" for ps3 aren't on the list).

Great Wii exclusives (18):

* Animal Crossing: City Folk

* Bomberman Blast (download-only)

* Boom Blox

* de Blob

* Endless Ocean

* Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo’s Dungeon

* LostWinds (download-only)

* Mario Kart Wii

* No More Heroes

* Sam & Max: Season One

* Skate It

* Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People Episodes (download-only)

* Super Smash Bros. Brawl

* Tetris Party (download-only)

* Wario Land: Shake It!

* Wii Fit

* World of Goo (download-only)

* Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure

Great Xbox 360 exclusives (16):

* A Kingdom for Keflings (download-only)

* Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

* Braid (download-only)

* Castle Crashers (download-only)

* Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

* Fable II

* Gears of War 2

* Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 (download-only)

* Last Remnant

* Left 4 Dead

* Lost Odyssey

* N+ (download-only)

* Naruto: The Broken Bond

* Ninja Gaiden II

* Tales of Vesperia

* Viva Pinata: Trouble In Paradise

Great PS3 exclusives (17):

* Buzz! Quiz TV

* Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice

* echochrome (download-only)

* Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds

* Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

* LittleBigPlanet

* Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

* MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

* Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm

* PixelJunk Eden (download-only)

* PixelJunk Monsters (download-only)

* Resistance 2

* SingStar: Vol. 2

* SIREN: Blood Curse (download-only)

* The Last Guy (download-only)

* Valkyria Chronicles

* Wipeout HD (download-only)

I recently got a wii because they're fun for the dinky little multi-player parlor game stuff. the wife and I will both have fun with wii fit, which strikes me as a really smart extension of their brand.

but if I actually want to really play through and get somewhat engrossed in a game, the ps3 is the way to go. I went ps3 over 360 for a number of reasons: 1) the ps3 doubles as an excellent bluray/DVD player, 2) ps and ps2 done me very well, and 3) gran turismo and a few other ps exclusives.

I liked this game a lot, but if you're a FPS RTS guy, you'd hate it. It's an innovative and fun puzzler.

* Resistance 2

I would like to eventually play these games.

Actually, I could pass on Hot Shots if either Super Swing Golf 2 or We Love Golf on the Wii are comparable. Has anyone played either of those Wii golf games?

i found this. seems that this list excludes titles that also appear on PC (like "mass effect") and is limited to 2008 releases (so the first "gears of war" for the 360 and "resistance" for ps3 aren't on the list).

* Animal Crossing: City Folk

* Bomberman Blast (download-only)

* Boom Blox

* de Blob

* Endless Ocean

* Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo’s Dungeon

* LostWinds (download-only)

* Mario Kart Wii

* No More Heroes

* Sam & Max: Season One

* Skate It

* Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People Episodes (download-only)

* Super Smash Bros. Brawl

* Tetris Party (download-only)

* Wario Land: Shake It!

* Wii Fit

* World of Goo (download-only)

* A Kingdom for Keflings (download-only)

* Braid (download-only)

* Castle Crashers (download-only)

* Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

* Fable II

* Gears of War 2

* Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 (download-only)

* Last Remnant

* Left 4 Dead

* Lost Odyssey

* N+ (download-only)

* Naruto: The Broken Bond

* Ninja Gaiden II

* Tales of Vesperia

* Buzz! Quiz TV

* Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice

* echochrome (download-only)

* Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

* LittleBigPlanet

* Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

* MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

* Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm

* PixelJunk Eden (download-only)

* PixelJunk Monsters (download-only)

* Resistance 2

* SingStar: Vol. 2

* SIREN: Blood Curse (download-only)

* The Last Guy (download-only)

* Valkyria Chronicles

* Wipeout HD (download-only)

Last Remnant is a timed exclusive and will be on the PS3 in the 1st quarter of 09...

not that it matters because the game is horrible....Valkyria Chronicles blows this game away...

I find PC gaming too expensive to maintain and hate games like world of warcraft and all of that...

but I'm not sure what other things PC gaming offers..

I used to play Air Warrior until EA bought it and nuked it.I then found Aces High.Console gaming will never be able to touch something like this.

Aces High 2

For those that like flight sims,and have a fondness for WW 2 aircraft,this game is the bomb.