[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Training School

Footballjoe

I don't know why I forgot to add this. I am getting a MS in a very specialized field in Computer Sciences around 5k with all books and expenses. Granted I got a scholarship but basically everyone who applies gets one because of the school's vast wealth.

I can get him a schooly and he can live on an island with a beach and a university for less than I am paying since he is undergrad.

Sorry that I am late to the party... :-) However, I'll go ahead & throw my two cents worth in... A few things to keep in mind here:

• Certifications without experience are nearly worthless - you absolutely must know how to do it in the real world.
  • Yes, it is tough to get the experience when few will give you a chance without the certifications... Herein lays the conundrum!
  • As someone stated previously, internships can be the way to go if you don't have a strong set of PC fundamentals to start with.
  • Many young people get their start because they are very strong in PC hardware/software due to years of die-hard computer use (gaming) while growing up... They typically will start as a PC tech at a place like Best Buy for a year or two and then move on to a real job.
  • A four year college degree will open far more doors than certifications alone.
  • I would suggest some basic certifications for anyone getting into the IT industry, but until you have the skillset to backup the piece of paper, stick with a foundational certification (http://certification.comptia.org) like the CompTIA A+, Network +, Server+ or one of Microsoft's professional level certifications (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb291022.aspx) like the MCITP. While Cisco's CCNA is quickly becoming desirable, the fundamental skillset to backup the piece of paper is far more complex (http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/..._type_home.html).
  • I cannot count the number of ITT Tech grads we interview (I own an IT services company) who cannot pass our skills evaluation - their resumes look great & they have certifications, but they cannot troubleshoot (the name of the game in IT).
  • The successful ones I have seen from these highly priced technical schools already had fundamental knowledge. It is hard to break into any industry by taking a shortcut... Those same people probably did not really need to spend the $30k, unfortunately, in most cases.

Bottom line is that my suggestion is to first determine if your son has the aptitude for IT, i.e., is he a solid, systematic troubleshooter. If he is, I'd suggest an internship or an entry level job where he can get his feet wet (even if $10-12/hour somewhere) although this will require convincing someone to believe in him. Once he gets his feet wet and if he truly has the aptitude, most of these certifications can be obtained the right way which is to slowly gain the knowledge and take tests! There are ample study materials out there - Microsoft & CompTIA both have tons of books related to each test. Just advise him to avoid braindump sites (sites where people post actual test questions & scenarios) as they are illegal and can very easily lead to loss of all certifications (and many employers will fire you if caught using one).

After 2-3 years of entry level work, he ought to be prepared to get a job on a help desk (usually a salaried position $30-$40k) and steadily move up the ladder from there. That 3 years spent earning $10-$12 per hour (even if the first 12 months are an unpaid internship) is still a far better deal than paying $30k and not earning anything (and still possibly being unable to land an IT job)! I also bet the real-world knowledge obtained far outweighs the book learning... Just be sure to knock out a couple of the professional level certifications during that period or he won't have much to offer an employer!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

This sounds like a scam to me. Any school offering a free computer as part of the cariculum should just hang a huge red flag in the commons. I'd steer very far away. You can get the same knowledge for you son at a community college.

What is entry level if it isn't help-desk?

Help desk is where all the noobs start out. I can't imagine a lower position.

Agreed.

Help Desk is sometimes not even considered Tier 1 support if all they do is assign tickets to other technicians.

I really do appreciate all the advice. It has been very helpful and I am going to have my son read over all the posts.

With a $28,500 price tag I guess you could afford to buy a computer for the student. I am sure its an inexpensive one to say the least.

CT.com was saying after about 4 weeks of training you could possibly get an enrty level job such as the Help Desk. The average income I believe was about $30,000.

I just find it diffucult to believe that you could get a solid education in such a short time especially with the limitd number of hours being trained.

I can unstand why this is appealing to my son. He got from me the gene that makes you not like school work i.e History, English, etc. He is very smart but just does not like the book type learning. He is into music quite a bit. He both plays and writes music. He has taught himself how to work some programs pertaining to music writing that many failed to accomplish in college. I say this based on what my daughter has said who happens to be a music major.

Perhaps Aaron will consider our Community College. e will have to see if they have a program where he does not have to take all those other course. Also he could look into the some enrty level jobs / apprenticeships.

Thanks Again :wacko:

Just doing the breakdown:

6 months = 26 weeks (assuming no holidays off)

26 weeks x 2 nights a week = 52 nights

52 nights x probably 2 hours = 104 hours

$28,500.00 divided by 104 = way too much per hour for basic computer skills ($274 an hour)

1 hour's pay = a crappy (non gamer) computer.

Since the company does NOT guarantee your son to pass any certification tests or get a degree, I don't see how you could go this route.

As for the $30,000 average salary for help desk (in the DC area isn't squat). Sure... that's $14 an hour, but he won't make that as the newest guy. He can get a little less than that at Geek Squad and they will train him.

What is entry level if it isn't help-desk?

Help desk is where all the noobs start out. I can't imagine a lower position.

True dat.

Agreed.

Help Desk is sometimes not even considered Tier 1 support if all they do is assign tickets to other technicians.

That's not a Helpdesk - that's a call center.

FWIW, our Helpdesk people earn *considerably* more than the numbers being bandied about in this thread.

That's not a Helpdesk - that's a call center.

FWIW, our Helpdesk people earn *considerably* more than the numbers being bandied about in this thread.

Help Desk and Call Center are used interchangeably depending upon location / company and volume of calls. Both interact with the customer.

Nearly all the help desk people I know do make more, but they usually have a computer science bachelors + basic certs.

FBJ's son has none of the credentials or any experience.

Edited by Riffraff

There is a lot of good advice above. I won't pretend to be an ultra knowledgeable person of the field per say. My skills/knowledge are dealing w/ the people involved, dealing w/ their options, and doing advising w/o a particular focus. I consider aptitude/interests/goals etc..

Anyway...FBJ...you have a PM.