[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favroite cities and least favorite cities to live in ( the US )

isleseeya

I sure hope that your home is actually in Durham, detlef. Otherwise that's some serious sacrilege right there.

Durham is so much cooler than Chapel Hill. BTW, while I'm in the city limits, I'm north of Durham proper off Cole Mill Rd up by the Eno River.

Edited by detlef

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll stick with Tucson

Tucson: if it doesn't bite you, sting you or poke you, it's a rock. :barf:

But it's been along time so maybe it's changed dramatically (other than being bigger) - but I doubt it. To each their own though, I guess it's a love it/hate it kinda place. I'm just into change of seasons and stuff like grass and trees.

Durham was a craphole in the early 90s. Have they renovated the place?

Yes, but even still it's the downtown that mostly sucked for the last years (which is making a major comeback). We've lived here since '02 and, even as recently as then, the downtown wasn't worth going to. We still found plenty to like in the meantime.

My issue with Chapel Hill is that it is too dominated by the campus. Not to say that Duke isn't huge in Durham, but the city is larger and has a bunch of interesting neighborhoods and communities (some perhaps a bit too interesting, mind you). There's also better ethnic food. Nearly every restaurant in Chapel Hill is owned by some white boy like me doing his version of ethnic food.

Durham has a younger demographic as well which makes it more interesting. I don't mean to dog Chapel Hill, my customers are primarily from there and they're a great batch of people.

Depends where you are, from what I've seen (admittedly limited). Some of it is seriously ghetto.

In terms of square miles, the place is huge. I've made a few wrong turns off the highway and wished I hadn't. However, our neighborhood (which is hardly swank), is very quiet and safe. Seriously, 6 years and I haven't seen or heard anything that made me concerned. Don't recall a single break-in to be honest.

Downtown itself was never particularly dangerous as much as it was just a ghost town. Again that's changing pretty quickly.

There are some "up and coming" neighborhoods that we did steer clear from because we figured we'd just be the source of income for the "less than up and coming" neighborhood a few blocks over.

I also heard it's a hard-core liberal haven. Course if that's your thing it's great then..

It's actually a version of hard core liberal that I got my fill of living in Santa Cruz, so I tend to find it annoying. Durham is certainly a liberal as well but it's a brand of liberal that's more my style.

None the less, you are completely correct and it is often referred to, even by plenty of us on the left as The People's Republic of Chapel Hill. Getting anything through city council takes a year. There's a dogmatic anti-growth sentiment that is very, very unfortunate. Not that I'm always pro-growth, but if half the city is up in arms the second they hear about anyone wanting to do anything, you end up with a messed up city. Like Santa Cruz. Anyone who wanted to build anything near the main beach or river front was seen as the devil. Next thing you know, those neighborhoods became the slums. Well, isn't that great. You've got a city on the ocean with a river running through it the worst part of your city is that part on the water. Nicely done.

Sorry, sore subject.

thats why i love it.. keeps the rednecks in the south, well as least most of them... there are a few that have migrated for better jobs and schools but all we need is a few "real" winters and they will be heading back south.

Here the saying is the 4 seasons are

June

July

August

and winter. It's basically true too.

San Francisco by a mile.... I have bounced around all over the world, but I always come back to The City

San Diego

Seattle

Madison, WI (it's been a while, maybe it's changed)

and Under the Huh catagory.....

Phoenix???? Lived there, and visit it every now and then. Not a Fan, I'll stick with Tucson

Sac??? It's been a few years since I have been there, but Really?

one of the few that prefers Tucson over Phx/Scottsdale- that's cool. Personally after going to UA and living in Tucson as well, I prefer Phoenix and it's not even close......

agree with you on Sea/SF and have lived in both, but fter growing up in Seattle, the weather here is flat out fantastic and a hugh factor for why I love living here -