[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maine vacation advice

satelliteoflovegm

Anyones to avoid or go for? Money not a real issue...

Looking at The Bayview, Bar Harbour Inn & Spa, Fisherman's Wharf

I have gone to the area for 40 years, though I am not that familiar with bar harbor, here is my take:

1) The region is beautiful, but you have to be into simple outdoorsy things to really enjoy it (like walking to lakes, walking along the beach etc)

2) I went to a wedding reception at the Bar Harbor Inn. It was real classy. And considering the prices were the same at the run of the mill hotels in the town, I would definitely recommend it. DON'T USE THE PHONES IN THE ROOM. I made one local call, figuring it would be cheaper than using my french cell phone. It was like 7$ for 2 minutes

3) The BH Inn is right in the town (which is pleasant with plenty of bars/restaurants) while it looked like the Bayview was not within walking distance of the center. The Wharf looked like it was in Boothbay which is a totally different area.

I can't speak of the hotels as it's been quite a few years sine I've been to Bar Harbor. A couple of things you want to do while there though is 1) Sunrise on Cadillac Mountain. It's the first point in the US to see the sun every day. 2) Rent some bikes and ride the carriage trails on the island. There's over 44 miles of them and it is way cool. Lots of little out of the way places to see and they are mostly flat so even if you're not in the best of shape it doesn't kill you. 3) Take an evening cruise around the Harbor. The seals may be in to play and the bald eagles nest around the banks of the harbor. Plus you get to see some of the mansions from the water. 4) Take a whale watching trip if you can. I don't know if it's the right season, but if it is, this is a great day trip. Bring your camera. 5) Order the New England Clam Chowder somewhere. This is the way it is supposed to be made.

Best bet would be to make a call to the local Chamber of Commerce or Visitor's Bureau, let them know your needs and preferences, and let them make a recommendation or two. they support all the local hotels, so there shouldn't be any issue with them favoring one hotel or another.

It was YEARS ago, but my husband and I stayed at The Black Friar Inn when we were last in Bar Harbor. It was pretty cool.

Looks interesting, thanks....we also want to do a moose safari by water in the Greenville/Moosehead lake area. Just a real quick overnight thing.Then on to Bar Harbour.

Thanks for all the feedback! Anymore is appreciated...