[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Very simple poll

detlef

Without looking it up...  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know who John Wall is?

• Yes
    • No

I'm trying to settle a debate as to how many people who aren't fanatical about a certain field know who this guy is.

TIA

I suppose there's one part that is flawed here. If you answered yes, do you feel you follow this field very closely?

Edited by detlef

Well, that pretty much says it. Especially considering that myself and billay, both of whom are not only college hoops fans but also NC triangle residents made up half the yes votes.

For the record, John Wall is the #1 HS basketball recruit and is in the midst of a rather highly publicized (at least within the hoops community) courtship from many top schools. Considering 1) he lives in Raleigh, and 2) three of the schools connected with the recruitment are NC St., Duke, and UNC, he's obviously quite well known around here. Then again, I even wonder how much among those who don't listen to sports radio or read the sports page.

None the less, he's obviously no LeBron and that was what I thought. My thought was that if nobody at the Huddle knew him, then nobody who wasn't a hardcore college hoops fan would. Because, by nature of participating on a FF message board, especially in April, means that you're big enough sports fans to be far more likely to have come across a story about the kid than nearly anyone. And, it seems, you haven't. Which is what I figured.

Just needed to settle a debate. The point of which was about how important are the kind of players who would likely skip college if they could to the college game. It is my opinion that they're not much at all, that it is all relative and, as long as the level of talent remains high (which a half dozen guys skipping school isn't going to drastically effect) it'll be fine. It was his opinion that, these days, these kids are so hyped in HS that everyone knows about them and are looking forward to watching at the college level.

Edited by detlef

Very few high school kids are hyped outside of their local area.

How many people outside of So Cal had heard of Demar DeRozan before he went to USC?

Now, the kid in San Diego that is skipping his senior year of high school to play pro in Europe, how many have heard of him? He is more likely to be more nationally known, not because he is the #1 or #2 junior in the nation, but because he is the first that I know of that is skipping out on his senior year of high school to go pro in Europe for two years before entering the NBA draft.

Very few high school kids are hyped outside of their local area.

How many people outside of So Cal had heard of Demar DeRozan before he went to USC?

Now, the kid in San Diego that is skipping his senior year of high school to play pro in Europe, how many have heard of him? He is more likely to be more nationally known, not because he is the #1 or #2 junior in the nation, but because he is the first that I know of that is skipping out on his senior year of high school to go pro in Europe for two years before entering the NBA draft.

I'd actually heard of the kid going to Europe because (iirc) he was given a scholarship (and accepted it) to Louisville during either his 8th or 9th grade year, making him the earliest college commit ever. So much for that promise to 'ol Mr. Pittino...

considering I like basketball more than pretty much anything on the planet

uh yeah I know who John Wall is

and I am hoping Sean Miller swoops in at the last second and offers up more loot than NC or Dook....................

Edited by wildcat2334

I follow college basketball pretty closely and I have only kinda sort of heard of him. It is terribly hard to follow all the recruits, especially if they've already committed to a team or aren't thinking about your team.