[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Packers draft

Randall

Yeah. I watched the Senior Bowl again yesterday and he looked very good. He jacked up Michael Oher on one play and will be interesting this year. If Favre does play he better know where he is.

Barnett, Hawk, Kampman and Matthews being led by Greene and Moss could turn into a great set of LB's... I also like the fact that Matthews has the same motor as Kampman. Now we just need to get Hawk to live up to his potential.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnett, Hawk, Kampman and Matthews being led by Greene and Moss could turn into a great set of LB's... I also like the fact that Matthews has the same motor as Kampman. Now we just need to get Hawk to live up to his potential.

I, personally, think that Hawk was out of his element as an OLB in a 4-3 scheme. He does not have the agility to move with the elusive backs out of the backfield. I actually feel that the main reason why the Packers are going to a 3-4 is to allow both Hawk and Barnett to man the middle without having to move one to the outside. I strongly believe that Barnett would have been a much better fit on the outside. But Barnett threw a fit when it was mentioned that he could be moved outside from his traditional inside spot.

Going to the 3-4 allows them both to work inside and it doesn't hurt anyone's ego by them having to be moved. I like the move myself and what with how the draft panned out for us, it looks like we could be really well set up for some time to come. I think Jenkins will be outstanding as an end in the 3-4 and of course with Raji in the middle, we may have the beginnings of a smooth transition into a disruptive defense. Our 4-3 scheme relied on a 4 man rush and cover guys who can be strong in man-to-man. But I believe that that relies too much on the corners playing with their backs to the line and therefore there is no run support from those players. As such, it can be very easy to get to the second level. I ain't no expert but it seems to me that with the addition of Matthews and Raji, we already had the people to be impact players for this scheme on the roster. It just makes sense to me.

I, personally, think that Hawk was out of his element as an OLB in a 4-3 scheme. He does not have the agility to move with the elusive backs out of the backfield. I actually feel that the main reason why the Packers are going to a 3-4 is to allow both Hawk and Barnett to man the middle without having to move one to the outside. I strongly believe that Barnett would have been a much better fit on the outside. But Barnett threw a fit when it was mentioned that he could be moved outside from his traditional inside spot.

Going to the 3-4 allows them both to work inside and it doesn't hurt anyone's ego by them having to be moved. I like the move myself and what with how the draft panned out for us, it looks like we could be really well set up for some time to come. I think Jenkins will be outstanding as an end in the 3-4 and of course with Raji in the middle, we may have the beginnings of a smooth transition into a disruptive defense. Our 4-3 scheme relied on a 4 man rush and cover guys who can be strong in man-to-man. But I believe that that relies too much on the corners playing with their backs to the line and therefore there is no run support from those players. As such, it can be very easy to get to the second level. I ain't no expert but it seems to me that with the addition of Matthews and Raji, we already had the people to be impact players for this scheme on the roster. It just makes sense to me.

That was when it was his contract year and a SLB makes far less than a MLB. I believe he said something about being OK moving after getting paid.

Hawk is pretty mobile but is a lot bigger than many WLB's these days. I hope you're right. Kampman does concern me at OLB though. If he and Matthews both rush the passer it could be an interesting year. In college he did play LB his first 2 years.

That was when it was his contract year and a SLB makes far less than a MLB. I believe he said something about being OK moving after getting paid.

Hawk is pretty mobile but is a lot bigger than many WLB's these days. I hope you're right. Kampman does concern me at OLB though. If he and Matthews both rush the passer it could be an interesting year. In college he did play LB his first 2 years.

Yeah, Barnett is a bit outspoken, but he's not a malcontent. The guy is the heart and soul of the defense.

I'm not concerned too much with Kampman. The guy is a football player before a 4-3 end or a 3-4 LB. The guy in my opinion will be just fine.