[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

rethinking the Cowboys draft

Sgt Ryan

I listened to NFL draft guru Rick Gosselin on ESPN radio talk about the Boys draft, and it kinda makes sense now.

Dallas supposedly only graded 22 players as 1st round talent. Fewer than 32 as 2nd round talent, so when it got to them, they didnt see a player worth the selection in round 2, so they traded down. Apparently the GA receiver was the last 2nd round graded player on their draft board, so they traded out of the pick, much like Philly and NE do, that people give them so much credit for doing.

Dallas then with 12 picks in day 2, took some chances on what they considered to be small school gems, comparable to Demarcus Ware and James Harrison. Now how many of these type players are in the league, so its unfair to compare Dallas prospects as such, but that was the plan. If they didnt see a player who could compete for a starting spot on the board, they would take huge risks on guys they thought could be a home run type of player. With 12 picks, they hope to land 4-5 guys who could be gems, and excel on special teams, where the Boys fell flat last year. Their philosphy like that of New England is safety in numbers. You can take more risks, the more picks you have. And still have a talented core group of players.

Im still not happy they did not take Sean Smith from utah, but their scouts think he is at best a Ken Hamlin type of in the box safety, and not what they need, where I thought he would be a perfect FS. Guess we will see.

Not saying I improve their draft grade, but at least I hope what they say is true and they did have a plan and execute that plan. I like many thought they didnt have a clue what they were doing.

Dallas supposedly only graded 22 players as 1st round talent. Fewer than 32 as 2nd round talent, so when it got to them, they didnt see a player worth the selection in round 2, so they traded down. Apparently the GA receiver was the last 2nd round graded player on their draft board, so they traded out of the pick, much like Philly and NE do, that people give them so much credit for doing.

Are these the same group that graded Roy Williams as a 1st and 3rd?