[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

libertarians and obama

Azazello1313

Libertarians and Obama: Quite a few libertarians voted for Obama because he campaigned as a liberal on foreign policy and a moderate on economic policy, and they preferred that combination to what they deemed McCain's conservative foreign and marginally more conservative economic policy. For libertarians who lean "left" on foreign policy, Obama's rhetoric gave them hope that as president he would fundamentally reassess American foreign policy in the direction of nonintervention, and reverse various national security policies that they felt threatened individual liberty.

As Karl Rove points out, however, Obama has thus far turned out to be very liberal (statist would be a better adjective--bailouts of large corporations, political interference with bankruptcy law on behalf of special interests, going back on pledges to rein in earmarks, and so forth, can hardly be deemed "liberal" either philosophically or in their redistributive consequences) on economic policy, and not much different than the Republicans on a variety of national security and foreign policy issues. In other words, libertarian Obama supporters got the opposite of what they hoped for: a moderate on foreign and national security policy, and someone fundamentally reassessing American economic policy in the direction of bigger government.

I wonder how many libertarian fans Obama has left?

:wacko:

Without hijacking this thread and getting people to just be right versus left I have a simple question...

Let me add - I am not political and I don't blindly lean one way or the other. I even considered not voting this past year because in my mind I did not feel educated enough to make a sound/educated decision on what candidate was best - my thoughts were it is worse to vote just for the sake of voting if you don't know what you are voting for. It seems that there are a ton of topics started that are trying to point out things that Obama is attempting to do that is either a mistake or against what he campaigned for. My question is this...

What has Obama done so far that has helped this country? I heard a lot about Hope and change but honestly have not seen much change and I don't really have a reason for hope.

I guess I am hijacking this thread but I figure it is ok since in 5 minutes it would end up just a right wing versus left wing cluster F%&k anyway.

Edited by gbpfan1231