[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CBA

Cunning Runt

CBA - Rookie Wage Scale  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be one?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Ok, that asked, WILL there be one?

• Yes
    • No

I pulled the below off Yahoo a few minutes ago. I can answer rthat last part - why the owners pulled out of the current CBA.

A big part is because rookies are making waaaay too much money and have never played a down in the NFL. How could the NFLPA be against this? It means more money going to established players, how could they be opposed?

There was an anonymous agent on Sirius who said the only reason there wasn't a rookie scale already in place is because of the agents. I mean, what the hell - how are agents driving this bus? They should have no say at all.

From my perspective, there has to be a rookie wage scale in place next time or nothing is going to get done.

Edited to ask in a 2nd question if you think there WILL be one.

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (AP)—The head of the NFL Players Association is bracing players for a possible 2011 lockout.

Executive director DeMaurice Smith told reporters at Colts camp Monday that he is convinced owners will lock players out when the current labor deal expires after next season.

Smith made no demands for a new deal and expressed his willingness to discuss everything, including changes in the league’s disciplinary policy. The one caveat: He wants to know why owners backed out of the collective bargaining agreement.

Edited by Cunning Runt

It would amaze me if this weren't part of the included package. Funnel more money to vets and make rooks earn their keep rather than getting massive signing bonuses before they ever step on a NFL field.

BTW - Agents are authorized and licensed only through the NFLPA. They are at the players' union's mercy.

Helllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooo!

60% of gross revenue goes directly to player salaries ring a bell?

It has more to do with Ralph Wilson and Mike Brown vs. Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder than it does owners vs. players.

This goes to the heart of whether the NFL is one entity or 32. On principle I think a rookie wage scale is the right thing to do (and I agree agents shouldn't be driving this bus) but the one entity or 32 question is politically loaded. If one, then impose the scale (but expect to be sued for acting as a de facto cartel). If the NFL wants to be seen as 32, then a scale can't be imposed, surely?

Isn't that how the NBA does it? I'm fine with higher draft picks getting more money. And they'll still get paid plenty. I just don't like teams being in poor situations because they have a high draft pick. For example, Detroit had a sticky spot with a junior coming out early with some questions at QB. They either have to overpay (top 2 money) to a LB, or tie their franchise to a QB for the next 3-5 years. They couldn't trade out of their spot as nobody really wanted it. I think it just makes more sense for their to be some kind of scale. It would also help to avoid all the holdouts that hamper the first year of these huge contracts. In the long run, I think it'll happen because none of the current college players really have a vote. The owners and current players will all agree that these rookies should make less and leave more money for the vets and owners. It's like the same reason that the drinking age won't get lowered. Many of the people in favor of it can't vote.