[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

House to vote on extending jobless benefits

Perchoutofwater

I have. Once with the Department of Labor (got the job) and once with the IRS (never heard back). There is an art to the application process, for sure.

My overarching point is that I'm fine with tax dollars going to job creation: public or private sector, I don't care. I'm not fine with merely extending unemployment benefits using cash the county doesn't have in the first place because the country gets no value back. It seems silly for us to quibble about this because it sounds like we're both on the same page about getting people back to work being the main goal.

Absolutely correct, I was just pointing out that the Fed doesn't help itself at times. I also agree that it would be better to create jobs than to just hand out money to certain employment sectors but what the hell do I know. I don't run this country, I only foot the bill. :wacko:

Absolutely correct, I was just pointing out that the Fed doesn't help itself at times. I also agree that it would be better to create jobs than to just hand out money to certain employment sectors but what the hell do I know. I don't run this country, I only foot the bill. :wacko:

That's sigline material right there...

I agree with you for the most part. If we are going to do something, lets at least have the people doing something for the money.

BTW, was the 16th Amendment legally ratified by the states? BTW, my problem with the income tax is the graduated income tax. If there was a flat tax, I would not feel that I'm being taxed more for the same representation. I mean if we are going to have graduated tax, shouldn't we have graduated representation?

Seriously? Look, I know the argument and it makes for great political back and forth...but the fact remains that the USSC has passed ruling supporting the taxing authority of the United States Congress...even allow rulings in tax courts and the such. Whether you think it was ratified correctly or not seems rather...well...off target..don't ya think.

I don't know, because I don't know how the affected states fund unemployment insurance. More than likely it is going to be a small tax increase that in and of itself could probably be absorbed by most companies. The problem is this doesn't appear to be the only tax increase or increased regulatory cost associated with owning a business that we are seeing proposed and seriously considered by this congress and the administration. If they would just stop at one and let businesses regain their composure once the effect of that increase is realized it would be much easier to cope. Right now it is looking like businesses are going to suffer the death by a thousand cuts (or in this case hikes). Below I've bolded how this would effect Texas if it was applicable to Texas. I'm not familiar with other states, but would guess that they would be somewhat similar.

Components of the Tax Rate

General Tax Rate - This rate is based on unemployment insurance claims charged to your account, and is the product of a Statewide multiplier called the Replenishment Ratio and your Benefit Ratio, multiplied by 100% and rounded up to the next tenth. The Replenishment Ratio is calculated each year based on total benefits paid Statewide for a four-quarter period. The Benefit Ratio is the total of your chargebacks of unemployment benefits paid to your former employees for the three years prior to the rate computation date divided by your employees' taxed wages for the same period. The ratio is multiplied by 100% and rounded up to the next hundredth. Change in an employer's general tax rate is directly related to staff patterns and restructuring to adjust to the marketplace.

It is important to note that the Commission can use in the calculation of the Benefit Ratio only taxed wages on which the tax due has been paid by the end of the month of the computation date. It is especially important for employers with chargebacks of benefits to pay their tax timely to divide the chargeback total by the largest possible taxed wage total.

Replenishment Tax Rate - This is a tax based on Statewide benefits and taxed wages and is applicable to all employers to cover unemployment claims not charged to a specific employer. This tax varies inversely from year to year, to statewide economic conditions.

Deficit Tax Rate - This tax is calculated by multiplying the statewide Deficit Ratio by the sum of your prior year's General, Deficit and Replenishment Tax Rates. The product is rounded to the nearest hundredth and may not exceed 2.00%. The Deficit Tax applies only to those employers who were experience rated in the previous year. A Deficit Tax was assessed in 2002 and 2003.

Employment and Training Investment Assessment - The rate of 0.10% is set according to State Law and is the same for each employer entitled to an experience rate.

Can't you folks in Texas self fund your unemployment...or is that Workers Comp....I forget. If you know it would be nice to refresh!!!!