[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Doctor in the house?

Brentastic

I will ask my pediatrics colleagues about this.

Alkaline Phosphatase level was initially 5000+. Second test was lower to 1500ish with a live iso of 41 and a bone iso of 59. I am encouraged that the AP went down. One thing that could cause an eleveated AP level is a virul infection and my son was sick about a week before the first blood test. I'm hoping for the best here, obviously.

Alkaline Phosphatase level was initially 5000+. Second test was lower to 1500ish with a live iso of 41 and a bone iso of 59. I am encouraged that the AP went down. One thing that could cause an eleveated AP level is a virul infection and my son was sick about a week before the first blood test. I'm hoping for the best here, obviously.

Why was he being tested for this??

It's my understanding that it was just a normal blood test and in that they noticed his Alkaline Phosphatase was high. As a result of the first test being high, another, more descriptive test was ordered to find out what isoenzymes were causing the spike (guessing here). The subsequent test showed a much lower (but still high) AP.

I'm really hopeful that his virul infection (flu) caused the dramatic spike.

I'm really hopeful that his virul infection (flu) caused the dramatic spike.

I called a pediatrician friend of mine, and he agrees with this. He says a viral infection can cause the elevations you've described.

So, I switched doctors yesterday and today we had a new appointment with the new doctor - she asked this same question. Here I was thinking that it was standard procedure to get a blood test at his 1 year check up, new doctor said it was very bizzarre unless there was a worry that something was wrong. The new doctor was absolutely floored that this doctor scheduled this blood test and when the bone iso came back, she (old doctor) was in the process of scheduling a bone scan. New doc told us that is ludicrous that a bone scan is a very serious procedure and should only be done if the child stopped walking or was limping etc... - in other words a severe difference in his physical behavior.

End result, the new doctor said to not worry, he's healthy as an ox.... So glad I switched doctor's but pretty pissed at the old doc for such a lack of knowledge, preparation and follow up.

Anyways, thanks again for your help - things are totally fine!!!

I recently had to go for a blood draw at a local lab, and while I was there a mother came in with two small children (maybe 3 and 5 years old). They were there for routine lab work requested by the pediatrician.

The tech who worked with me rolled her eyes and said it's becoming common in the area for the peds to routinely send them for CBC and lead testing, even if there aren't indicators that there's a problem. Stupid, IMO.

So, I switched doctors yesterday and today we had a new appointment with the new doctor - she asked this same question. Here I was thinking that it was standard procedure to get a blood test at his 1 year check up, new doctor said it was very bizzarre unless there was a worry that something was wrong. The new doctor was absolutely floored that this doctor scheduled this blood test and when the bone iso came back, she (old doctor) was in the process of scheduling a bone scan. New doc told us that is ludicrous that a bone scan is a very serious procedure and should only be done if the child stopped walking or was limping etc... - in other words a severe difference in his physical behavior.

End result, the new doctor said to not worry, he's healthy as an ox.... So glad I switched doctor's but pretty pissed at the old doc for such a lack of knowledge, preparation and follow up.

Anyways, thanks again for your help - things are totally fine!!!

Glad all is well Brent. My kids are 6 and 8 and have never had bloodwrok so I was wondering why this test was being done to your 1 year old. I assumed a symptom of something lead them to test this. So glad it was precautionary and all is well :wacko:

Glad all is well Brent. My kids are 6 and 8 and have never had bloodwrok so I was wondering why this test was being done to your 1 year old. I assumed a symptom of something lead them to test this. So glad it was precautionary and all is well :wacko:

Me too. Thanks for your concern, Chris.