[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Winterizing Windows

Brentastic

Most hardware stores carry a film that goes over the window and then you use a hairdryer to shrink it to fit tight.

Easy install. I used it many years ago in my old house that had drafty windows and it worked great. Down side you can't open the window until you remove it.

They also used to sell plastic sheets that you cut to size and apply magnets to the plastic and sash. They are re-useable and when we get those rare but warm winter days you can still open the window. Downside is you'll need to store them somewhere.

So is the shrink-fit plastic really that easy to install? I envision a 2-3 hour job. I'm guessing two people are required? I plan on doing my front porch windows (there are 3 side by side) all in one wrap - in other words, not doing all 3 windows separtely, but treating them as one. Probably 8 feet wide and 5 feet tall.

So is the shrink-fit plastic really that easy to install? I envision a 2-3 hour job. I'm guessing two people are required? I plan on doing my front porch windows (there are 3 side by side) all in one wrap - in other words, not doing all 3 windows separtely, but treating them as one. Probably 8 feet wide and 5 feet tall.

Basically you put double face tape on the sash, put the film in contact w/ tape, press down, trim the excess, and heat it w/ a hair dryer until its tight. Yes, 2 people make it easier, no way it should take 2-3 hours.

Check your local HW store for what sizes are available.