[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year...

Wow, what are the liberals going to do now when they try to complain about how much Bush spent on the war?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100113/ap_on_...ama_war_funding

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama will ask Congress for an additional $33 billion to fight unpopular wars in Afghanistan and Iraq on top of a record $708 billion for the Defense Department next year, The Associated Press has learned — a request that could be an especially hard sell to some of the administration's Democratic allies.

The extra $33 billion in 2010 would mostly go toward the expansion of the war in Afghanistan. Obama ordered an extra 30,000 troops for that war as part of an overhaul of the war strategy late last year.

Military officials have suggested that the 2011 request would top $700 billion for the first time, but the precise figure has not been made public.

The administration also plans to tell Congress next month that its central military objectives for the next four years will include winning the current wars while preventing new ones and that its core missions will include both counterinsurgency and counterterrorism operations.

The administration's Quadrennial Defense Review, the main articulation of U.S. military doctrine, is due to Congress on Feb. 1. Top military commanders were briefed on the document at the Pentagon on Monday and Tuesday. They also received a preview of the administration's budget plans through 2015.

The four-year review outlines six key mission areas and spells out capabilities and goals the Pentagon wants to develop. The pilotless drones used for surveillance and attack missions in Afghanistan and Pakistan are a priority, with the goals of speeding up the purchase of new Reaper drones and expanding Predator and Reaper drone flights through 2013.

U.S. officials outlined the coming requests on condition of anonymity because the budget request will not be sent to Congress until later this month.

Obama's request for more war spending is likely to receive support on Capitol Hill, where Republicans will join moderate Democrats to pass the bill.

But the budget debate is also likely to expose a widening rift between Obama's administration and Democratic leaders, who have watched public opinion turn against the military campaign.

"The president's going to have to make his case," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told reporters last month at her year-end briefing.

The 2010 budget contains about $128 billion for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That figure would rise to $159 billion next year under the proposals prepared for Congress.

The Pentagon projects that war funding would drop sharply in 2012, to $50 billion, and remain there through 2015. That is a calculation that the United States will save money from the withdrawal of forces in Iraq, as well as a prediction that the Afghanistan war will begin to wind down in the middle of 2011.

Obama has promised that U.S. forces will begin to withdraw from Afghanistan in July 2011, but his defense advisers have set no time limit for the war.

The Pentagon projects that overall defense spending would be $616 billion in 2012; $632 billion in 2013; $648 billion in 2014; and $666 billion in 2015. Congress sets little store by such predictions, which typically have fallen short of actual requests and spending.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, are expected to testify to Congress about the budget and the policy review in February.

The four-year policy statement is a more important statement of administration goals. For the current wars, the policy statement focuses on efforts to refocus money and talent on beefing up special operations forces, countering weapons of mass destruction and terrorism threats, and maintaining cyber security.

For example, the Pentagon would like to expand special operations aviation by expanding the gunship fleet from 25 to 33.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he wanted to cut defense spending and back out of Afghanistan you would be posting about how horrible that was as well.

As long as you guys and gals stay firmly on your side and do nothing but bitch about the other side things will continue to get worse.

He ran quite specifically on finishing the job in Afghanastan. I'll continue to support that despite the economic climate here at home because there is unfinished business there left due to the Iraq invasion.

Here's your tactics: creative math to turn the entire Pentagon budget into the "war budget" in your misleading topic. If you read your article, you'll see

next year is just over a quarter of that.

Wow, what are the liberals going to do now when they try to complain about how much Bush spent on the war?

And since you mentioned Bush, the problem has always been that bin Laden was behind 9-11, not Hussein, and he got up and lied through his teeth in a State of the Union address to spend 1 trillion on an Iraqi welfare program because Saddam dissed his daddy. That's a big difference,

Edited by Pope Flick

Here's your tactics: creative math to turn the entire Pentagon budget into the "war budget" in your misleading topic. If you read your article, you'll see next year is just over a quarter of that.

I was going to post the exact same thing. Seems our righties have a very difficult reading the articles they link:

The 2010 budget contains about $128 billion for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Edited by i_am_the_swammi

As long as you guys and gals stay firmly on your side and do nothing but bitch about the other side things will continue to get worse.

+1

Posting of blatant lies and misinformation needs to grind to a halt...the right will manufacture almost anything to enable a "sky is falling" mentality :wacko:

For shame Yahoo. Terribly misleading article title that one.

As someone who voted for Obama, I for one, am discouraged on the war front. Its a year into the term, and we seem to be expecting another full year in Afghanistan and I don't see an endgame.

If he wanted to cut defense spending and back out of Afghanistan you would be posting about how horrible that was as well.

Were you in a freaking coma for the last eight years? That is how it is done.

This is a great observation, but goes both ways.

I have been saying this for months. They are complaining about the very same thing they did for eight years. Especially the libs on this board. There was very little respect for GW and there were constant and I mean constant posts bitching about him and the repubs.

Were you in a freaking coma for the last eight years? That is how it is done.

I haven't been in a come the last 8 years zeke. I remember your old account where you claimed to have a relative fighting in Iraq when it was at its worst, and someone here asked which unit to which you had no answer and then had a meltdown that included an attack on the son of someone who WAS over there.

The thread is long gone because of your tirade, but the egg on your face is several years old. Of course you'll deny it from lack of the thread - because that's how your ilk operates - but many here do remember it.

Shoo.

+1

Posting of blatant lies and misinformation needs to grind to a halt...the right will manufacture almost anything to enable a "sky is falling" mentality :wacko:

It isn't just the right. We dealt with the same crap from the left for years during the Bush admin. In my opinion it is the polarization that is killing us. Right wants anything the Repubs throw against the wall to stick and same for the Left. Maybe it is just me but, things don't seem to be getting better no matter how much each side bashes the other.

The really sad part is that at the end of the day all these politicians probably get together and laugh at the American public for being so damn gullible.

It isn't just the right. We dealt with the same crap from the left for years during the Bush admin. In my opinion it is the polarization that is killing us. Right wants anything the Repubs throw against the wall to stick and same for the Left. Maybe it is just me but, things don't seem to be getting better no matter how much each side bashes the other.

The really sad part is that at the end of the day all these politicians probably get together and laugh at the American public for being so damn gullible.

the problem is that people are stupid. they believe what is told to them. the neo's scare the right, the treehuggers scare the left. it would seem with the mass of info we have at our fingertips today , we could get facts. but the pols continue to lie to stay or get into power.

I haven't been in a come the last 8 years zeke. I remember your old account where you claimed to have a relative fighting in Iraq when it was at its worst, and someone here asked which unit to which you had no answer and then had a meltdown that included an attack on the son of someone who WAS over there.

The thread is long gone because of your tirade, but the egg on your face is several years old. Of course you'll deny it from lack of the thread - because that's how your ilk operates - but many here do remember it.

Shoo.

Shut up idiot.

I have been saying this for months. They are complaining about the very same thing they did for eight years. Especially the libs on this board. There was very little respect for GW and there were constant and I mean constant posts bitching about him and the repubs.

Arguing that tearing into Obama at every chance strictly because he is on the other side of the aisle is ok because "they did it for eight years" is no different or better than blaming every problem we have today on Bush.

The posters on this board that want to turn every remotely political thread into "us vs. them" need to get over themselves and pull their heads out of their poopholes. Hell, even Perch and BP can have an intelligent (mostly) conversation about differing opinions without resorting to finger pointing and name calling.

Shoo.

I don't need to deny anything. Secondly...you as usual just attack and add nothing. You may shoo your self. I don't answer to you.

Shoo.

Did he really? I wish I could say I am surprised . . . :wacko:

Arguing that tearing into Obama at every chance strictly because he is on the other side of the aisle is ok because "they did it for eight years" is no different or better than blaming every problem we have today on Bush.

The posters on this board that want to turn every remotely political thread into "us vs. them" need to get over themselves and pull their heads out of their poopholes. Hell, even Perch and BP can have an intelligent (mostly) conversation about differing opinions without resorting to finger pointing and name calling.

I agree with you and actually expected this response. I did not try to justify this, just saying that is is silly when now the other side is whining about the same thing they did for years. This is a no win situation here. Even when you try to post something that is factual, one side either blasts the poster, or questions the source. Noone on either side can just maybe think the other side has a point.