[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

crispy chicken skin?

buddahj

what are you trying to do? or how do you like it? i get a crispy skin by roasting, pan searing, and frying. each give a different effect and require different ingredients and methods to deliver.

I usually sear the chicken thighs &/or breasts in a cast iron skillet & then finish them off in the oven.

Edited by buddahj

I usually sear the chicken thighs &/or breasts in a cast iron skillet & then finish them off in the oven.

...and you are unable to achieve the level of crisp you desire? do you want to refine your method or try some other ways?

...and you are unable to achieve the level of crisp you desire? do you want to refine your method or try some other ways?

Yes, it always seems a little soggy. I'd be willing to try something different. What advice can you give me?

Are you making sure the skin is as dry as possible before you start? Use paper towel and remove as much moisture as possible before cooking. Dry skin = crispy skin.

I seasoned chicken this morning, covered it & put it in the fridge for about 8 hrs before cooking. I didn't use any type of brine or liquid marinade. I don't have a lot of experience with skin-on chicken. I usually just boneless/skinless breasts.

Yes, it always seems a little soggy. I'd be willing to try something different. What advice can you give me?

I seasoned chicken this morning, covered it & put it in the fridge for about 8 hrs before cooking. I didn't use any type of brine or liquid marinade. I don't have a lot of experience with skin-on chicken. I usually just boneless/skinless breasts.

you should be fine with your skillet.

method 1. preheat oven to 425. pat chicken dry with paper towel. season with salt and pepper. heat skillet. put in butter or oil. heat butter or oil. place chicken in skin side down. when crisp, flip and put into oven. cook until done.

method 2. preheat oven to 425. pat chicken dry. season some ap flour with s&p. dredge chicken lightly. heat skillet. put butter or oil in skillet. heat butter or oil. place chicken in skillet skin side down. golden brown. flip. shade less than golden brown. finish in oven.

method 3.

1 c well-shaken buttermilk

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

4 cups vegetable oil

soak chicken in buttermilk for about 20-30 min. combine salt, pepper, flour. heat oil to 345. drain chicken. oat with flour. with tongs,lower chicken into hot oil. cook until done (about 12 min +/-). pull and drain on paper towles.

you should be fine with your skillet.

method 1. preheat oven to 425. pat chicken dry with paper towel. season with salt and pepper. heat skillet. put in butter or oil. heat butter or oil. place chicken in skin side down. when crisp, flip and put into oven. cook until done.

method 2. preheat oven to 425. pat chicken dry. season some ap flour with s&p. dredge chicken lightly. heat skillet. put butter or oil in skillet. heat butter or oil. place chicken in skillet skin side down. golden brown. flip. shade less than golden brown. finish in oven.

method 3.

1 c well-shaken buttermilk

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

4 cups vegetable oil

soak chicken in buttermilk for about 20-30 min. combine salt, pepper, flour. heat oil to 345. drain chicken. oat with flour. with tongs,lower chicken into hot oil. cook until done (about 12 min +/-). pull and drain on paper towles.

Thanks for the all help. I'll be trying method 2 or 3 next time.

Here's how to do legs and thighs on the grill. Set the grill for indirect medium heat. That means that the heat source is not directly below the meat but a little off to the side. Spray down the chicken with a touch of olive oil (to keep the meat from sticking to the grill) then apply any dry seasonings you want to use. Place the chicken on the grill and cover for 20 minutes. Do not touch or look at the chicken at all during this time. Open grill and flip chicken. Repeat for another 20 minutes. Open grill, flip chicken and apply any sauce. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Open grill, flip chicken and apply any sauce. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. The skin will be crispy, the meat juicy and your sauce will not be burnt.

• 1 month later...
Which method did you use?

I brined the chicken pieces for about 4 hours. I then removed them from the brine & rinsed them off. Probably the most important step that I failed to do the last time...I took some paper towels & "pat dried" the chicken pieces to remove as much excess moisture as possible. I then seasoned the chicken with my spice rub & seared them off on both sides (about 6-7 minutes/side) in a cast iron skillet (with a little oil in it). Lastly, I finished them off in the oven (425 degrees for about 25 minutes or so). Instead of just leaving the them in the skillet, I used the grate from our old microwave & a sheet pan. I just set it on top of the pan so all the excess liquid would drain onto the pan. I'm not sure if this part really helped, but it did make me feel like Mcgyver. :wacko: My youngest daughter kept raving about how good the chicken tasted & kept wanting me to listen to her bite through the skin. So to answer your original question...I guess I used a little of all the advice.

Edited by buddahj