[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

General retirement investment strategies revisited?

BeeR

Just wondering on a high level, ie due to economy (or maybe other reasons) have you shifted re. the type of mutual funds or stocks/bonds/etc you're invested in, if so how etc. Not talking specific funds per se. For ex are you investing more (or less) in international funds, shifting to/from large cap to small/mid caps etc.

I've got a pretty balanced portfolio and have pretty much stayed the course, although I've been tempted to go heavier on internationals......also kicking myself for not moving on gold when I had a chance.

Edited by BeeR

In the old economy there was good debt and there was bad debt. There was debt that due to tax deductions, it was better keep the debt and invest funds rather than paying it off, such as a house. I have now started to pay the house off. If I continue at the current rate I'll pay it off in 7 years in lieu of 25. When this first this crisis first hit I thought we were going to see hyper inflation due to the amount of money the country is borrowing, and low likelihood that we are going to increase taxes or decrease spending in an election year. Now I'm starting to see some deflation in lieu of the hyper inflation. The deflation is due to people running scared trying to pick up work any way they can. I'm amazed at the low-ball fees quotes some of my competitors have turned in in the last few months, but am seeing the same thing from a number of trade contractors. My current break down is as follows:

20.5% Cash & Money Market

19.5% Income

22.5% Growth & Income

28% Growth

9.5% Aggressive

16% of my portfolio is in international funds.

I am not currently holding any individual stocks, I'm currently holding 23 different mutual funds.

ETA: I'm still investing in lead on a regular basis, and plan to continue to do so.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I don't care what the price of gold is....if it's $600 or $1400, I'm buying....same goes for silver...

I buy what I can, when I can even if it's 1/4 of an oz of gold on the fly..

I agree with you on silver, as it is historically undervalued. Gold is too high right now. Besides the lead I'm investing in will help me take your gold :wacko:

I agree with you on silver, as it is historically undervalued. Gold is too high right now. Besides the lead I'm investing in will help me take your gold :D

I think from what has transpired over the past week, silver is beginning the process of catching up to gold to re-gain that 16:1 ration (approximately) which is where it should be....

and I'm extremely long on gold.....so I'm not looking at the next 5 or 10 years, I'm looking at the next 15+...

also...I have lead too :wacko: ANYONE HAVE THE GUTS TO PLAY FOR BLOOD!?

My current break down is as follows:

20.5% Cash & Money Market

19.5% Income

22.5% Growth & Income

28% Growth

9.5% Aggressive

16% of my portfolio is in international funds.

My internat'l is about 10% but I am looking to jack that up big time. The 1 or 2 I have are rebounding nicely from the 09 lows.

Lost me on the rest of your categorizations ie how is "aggressive" mutually exclusive from (for ex) growth? What am I missing there....

Also have almost no ind. stocks and little interest in (Circuit City pushed me over the edge). Actually I don't have the time/desire to research em enough; doing so for mutual funds is enough as it is.