[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a new TV this week...

Avernus

I honestly feel that paying someone to do it is a waste of money....a lot of people do it themselves and you might find great calibration settings on avsforum.com ...you'd go under LCD TV discussion and find your model - you might find a few different calibration settings for the model you have...

but the way I did it was buy the Blu-ray disc for about 9.99 and it has certain screens you look at that help you determine the proper settings for brightness, color, contrast etc etc....

I'd look on avsforum first to see if you find any calibration settings that are listed for your set....and then resort to the disc...

hope this helps...and thanks, the Tv is already considered to be worth the money...

You do realize that when you go into the service menus that you are changing setting on a specific input and not globally, right? In other words, brightness, color and contrast are only part of the game. Setting the grayscale correctly is probably the most important part of the calibration procedure and not something that can be done easily by eye alone and needs to be done for each input. Also, while setting the overscan correctly is some that can easily be done, setting the geometry properly can be very difficult and time consuming, especially if you haven't done something like this before. Something that should be noted is that the room lighting can influence the grayscale so using a blanket setting from avsforums may be a good place to start, but not an absolute calibration.

You do realize that when you go into the service menus that you are changing setting on a specific input and not globally, right? In other words, brightness, color and contrast are only part of the game. Setting the grayscale correctly is probably the most important part of the calibration procedure and not something that can be done easily by eye alone and needs to be done for each input. Also, while setting the overscan correctly is some that can easily be done, setting the geometry properly can be very difficult and time consuming, especially if you haven't done something like this before. Something that should be noted is that the room lighting can influence the grayscale so using a blanket setting from avsforums may be a good place to start, but not an absolute calibration.

Does it make me old that I understand almost none of this post?

I actually have different settings for TV and "game" even though I watch Blu-rays on "game"......yet that one yields the best picture and the blacks are astronomically deep...and I can't even calibrate it yet anyways due to the fact that it is a plasma, so I wasted my time :wacko: