[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I tried playing the SB on Madden and realized...

BeeR

Having exclusive NFL rights is the ONLY reason EA dominates (same with their other games). Before that they had competition - and would have been lucky to even stay competitive, because others were putting out a better product.

EA had a pretty awesome NHL game back in the 90s.

Anyway I tried one more time. After going up 17 pts early in the 2d half I decided I would only call one defensive play (a blitz called "engage eight"). Except for one bomb for a TD it worked every time. Oh yeah, realistic. Oh and starting in the 4th Q hoping to get it close I called only one offensive play, a HB dive. I actually kept a few drives alive for awhile. Remember this is Addai we're talking about.

I will give it some credit for some realism as the Colts' run D and special teams sucked, and I gave up 2 long bombs for TDs.

:wacko:

Why don't you come back and tell us how Engage Eight worked for you after you turn it up from "Pro" difficulty level.

Edited by kpholmes

EA had a pretty awesome NHL game back in the 90s.

Actually I agree, I had that one. Course that was back when they had competition and HAD to put out something decent.

Why don't you come back and tell us how Engage Eight worked for you after you turn it up from "Pro" difficulty level.

I was on "All Pro" but really that kind of BS shouldn't work at any level. Also one of the top-rated QBs shouldn't toss 6 INTs and struggle to complete 50% or so of his passes.

I was on "All Pro" but really that kind of BS shouldn't work at any level. Also one of the top-rated QBs shouldn't toss 6 INTs and struggle to complete 50% or so of his passes.

Maybe you should practice more and stop trying to throw into double coverage. Read the defense. Throw in a pump fake or two. :wacko:

Front Page Sports was AWESOME!! You could build your own formations and plays. It was the first game with a thorough ratings system for players, and had a dynasty mode about a decade before anybody else did. If I remember right, the front-office mode was quite a bit better than the gameplay. I was pretty young when it came out, but I remember playing it nonstop for a few years.

This year's Madden is flat out sick. And don't give me the NLF2k or whatever. I'm not an EA Sports guy. I play NBA2k rather than the EA version. The 2k football series was a complete joke. Spin move spin move spin move spin move. The one thing I would concede is that EA, along with everybody else, has put the vast majority of their focus onto the online gaming portion . Except for some of us (or you) old farts, nobody plays against the computer anymore, so I'm sure building the perfect AI isn't on the top of their prioirty list, nor do I think tha would change with competetion. That is the way everybody is going.

Also, EA still makes a pretty bad-arse NHL game. Actually, their soccer game is pretty good as well.

ETA: I'm only going to play Madden for another week or so before I retire it until next year. If anybody wants to get a game in on the 360, my gamertag is SeatownPosse. KP, I think a Seahawks/Raiders battle just may be in order.

Edited by Seahawks21

ETA: I'm only going to play Madden for another week or so before I retire it until next year. If anybody wants to get a game in on the 360, my gamertag is SeatownPosse. KP, I think a Seahawks/Raiders battle just may be in order.

Sounds good. Though I do have issues with online game play... but we can get into that later. Gamertag is kpholmes. Probably won't be able to play until after next Wednesday - gonna be pretty busy until then.

This years Madden was the WORST of ANY year I have played. If next year is just as bad I will never buy it again. The defense is a joke in that game but I have to disagree about kicking as that is the only thing that is probably spot on.
I can't remember the last time I was sacked in that game.
I gave up on the game because it was such a joke. You have all day if you sit in the pocket and you can easily find an open WR if your quick enough with your eyes. HUGH downgrade from last year version, which was a joke in itself. Like I said I am giving them 1 more year if they make a crap product I will never buy a copy again. They make WAY too much money to put out a crap product.
I don't play the computer i play H2H and your description is purely on AI. When I do play h2h it is on all madden level. The game sucks. The best madden was the last madden to come out on PS2 1yr into next gen model.

:wacko: Don't know where all the hostility is coming from.

I know Madden has had its problems switching to the Next Gen platforms, but I really do think the game is solid this year.

I play H2H all the time with Madden junkies, and casual players alike - both on All Madden. My opponents and I are both able to get sacks, and depending on how you play your defense, the receivers won't be able to get open for 2-3 seconds after the snap. Unless the defense is coming with a three man rush, no one ever has "all day...in the pocket."

Based on what you're saying, It sounds like the problem you're running into is the people you're playing just aren't any good.

I agree, this is just a little different than most of what I hear. Most people I talk to consider this year's version far and away the greatest version ever...but 99% consider it a huge upgrade over last year. We had a pretty lengthy conversation about it at our annual Super Bowl Saturday Madden Tournament yesterday. I don't see how it could possibly be a downgrade over last year's game. It is built off the same model, except for the fact that they improved a few things (gang tackles, deep coverage). They also slowed the game down a bit, making it possible for the user to have more control over the players. I guess I am looking for you to be a little more specific as far as what you dislike. Out of the 19 games played yesterday, there was only less than 3 sacks in 1 game, and that was a game where I ran the ball 42 times. If you drop 8 people back in coverage, sure the QB is going to have all day to throw, and it is exactly the same thing in real life. Tom Brady holds onto the ball for 6-7 seconds when teams do that to him. He just stands there and looks around, then throws deep to Randy lol.

I think it plays somewhat realistic. The fumble thing is a joke, and screens are still WAYY too effective, but in general, games typically go the way they should. The strengths or weaknesses of certain teams tend to show through, and with the detailed rating system they use now, players are playing more to form than ever. The overwhelming majority of gamers believe this franchise is totally heading in the right direction. I have to think this hatred goes a lot further than simply the gameplay of this particular game.