[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McAfee Anti-Virus Problems

Brentastic

So my laptop which is about a year and a half old (and 3 years remaining on my McAfee subscription) is stating that the McAfee has an issue. I clicked the 'FIX' button but it says there are several problems that need to be resolved. The problems appear to be registration issues. So I clicked the button that verifies the subscription and it says subscription verified. So my next step after restarting etc... was to download and run the vitrual technician which diagnoses problems and fixes them. This program stated that my DAT was out of date and it supposedly fixed this issue. After this 'fix' and another restart, the problem still persists (everything the same, nothing changed). This just happened this week and my McAfee icon in the lower toolbar is 'greyed out' so to speak. Can anyone offer any type of solution to this? Has anyone else had this happen?

What they said up there. Take your PC off the internet and uninstall. You need more than an AV nowadays anyways. Get a firewall, there's some free options out there, I prefer ZA. As for Antivirus I also use a free one (Avast or Avira). I add a live system monitoring tool called winpatrol, it lets me know any changes to the startup programs, registry and services.

Good Luck

Is AVG free? The problem is that I have another 1.5 years left on my McAfee subscription. I'd hate to pay for a new service.

There is a free version, but I'm going to disagree with Ursa. AVG is not as good as it used to be. Surprisingly, the recently released Microsoft Security Essential software is quite good and has a small resource footprint. This is what I now use on my personal systems.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that Security Essentials is free.

Edited by smithkt

There is a free version, but I'm going to disagree with Ursa. AVG is not as good as it used to be. Surprisingly, the recently released Microsoft Security Essential software is quite good and has a small resource footprint. This is what I now use on my personal systems.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that Security Essentials is free.

I agree about AVG not being as good as it was. They also make it quite difficult to find. Still, I'd rather do without than use McAfee, to be honest. Damn thing is like a deer tick - once in, getting it out is both difficult and painful.

I agree about AVG not being as good as it was. They also make it quite difficult to find. Still, I'd rather do without than use McAfee, to be honest. Damn thing is like a deer tick - once in, getting it out is both difficult and painful.

Agreed. McAfee sucks. Norton used to be as bad, but the latest version is MUCH better.

As for free I'd recommend them in this order:

Microsoft Security Essentials: Consistently high marks in the AV-Comparatives tests, small footprint, and stays out of the way

AntiVir from Avira: Top scores in the AV-Comparatives, but has this really annoying upsell popup when using the free version. Some complaints about too many false positives. small footprint.

Avast!: Good scores, reasonable footprint. This is what I was using before switching to MSE. product updates would announce with a voice and popup and tended to crash games when it did so. It's possible to turn these off but it also turns off the warnings.

AVG: All around mediocre product from all accounts. Have not used it in quite a while, but with mediocre scores in the AV-Comparitives, I see no reason to give it another try.

AntiVir from Avira: Top scores in the AV-Comparatives, but has this really annoying upsell popup when using the free version. Some complaints about too many false positives. small footprint.

This is the one I use. And there is a way to get rid of the pop up on the free one. :wacko:

Microsoft Security Essentials: Consistently high marks in the AV-Comparatives tests, small footprint, and stays out of the way

Avast!: Good scores, reasonable footprint. This is what I was using before switching to MSE. product updates would announce with a voice and popup and tended to crash games when it did so. It's possible to turn these off but it also turns off the warnings.

I am using all 3...one of them seems to really slow my system to a crawl at times and I havent been able to figure which one...also AntiVir occasionally flags an avast file as "bad"

I used to use AVG but removed it when I added the 3 above...it was/seemed to become a resource hog for starters

This is the one I use. And there is a way to get rid of the pop up on the free one. :wacko:

do tell

I am using all 3...one of them seems to really slow my system to a crawl at times and I havent been able to figure which one...also AntiVir occasionally flags an avast file as "bad"

I used to use AVG but removed it when I added the 3 above...it was/seemed to become a resource hog for starters

do tell

Using more than one AV product is a :wacko: as they can clash with each other.

Using more than one AV product is a :D as they can clash with each other.

Nod!!!

FWIW....why is everyone looking for free crap. Not saying free is bad, but pay for is sooo much better! I'm into TrendMicro. It works well. McAfee is a POS! We all pay for games, progs, that cost way more than the usual $10/year/system, why cheap out a prog that will keep your system safe??? :wacko::D

Nod!!!

FWIW....why is everyone looking for free crap. Not saying free is bad, but pay for is sooo much better! I'm into TrendMicro. It works well. McAfee is a POS! We all pay for games, progs, that cost way more than the usual $10/year/system, why cheap out a prog that will keep your system safe??? :wacko::D

I disagree. There are plenty of for-pay programs that stink. Those programs I listed above (with the exception of AVG) are all quite competent. I'd rather people use one of these for free than nothing at all. For home use, I see no reason why people should need to pay at all. And most of the pay programs are more than ten dollars a year.

I've been running various free programs for many years and I have yet to get hammered by a single virus. Knock on wood.