[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about unemployment...

muck

It's one thing to provide unemployment benefits to someone who is looking for a job but can't find one. It's another thing entirely to (continue) providing unemployment benefits to people who are turning down job offers.

Where tf is this happening?

Where tf is this happening?

Its a hypo I'm positing. You want unemployment benefits? Fine. But here's an application for the military. Unwilling to file the application for an available job that you're qualified for? Then no benefits for you.

I'm saying: why couldn't we do that?

Because the military is far FAR more than just a job. For one, you're locked in for several years. For another, you're potentially putting your life on the line. No even I wouldn't agree w/that, and I'm military and hate the whole welfare thing with a passion.

Dunno about the particulars, but I've often heard the CG is the red-headed stepchild of the armed services - chronically and possibly cripplingly underfunded, undermanned, and responsible for security of our coasts, ports, and oh yeah, rescue of boaters unlucky and/or dumb enough to get themselves in a bad spot.

:wacko:

That's pretty much spot on. My wife's cousin is a Captain (one step short of Admiral, not the captain of a boat) in the CG, she wants to get out (just hit her 20 years) but they keep giving her enough incentives to stick around. Some of the things I hear from her are incredible. Most of their work is in drug interdiction and search and rescue operations. They are way underfunded and their equipment is vastly outdated.

Maybe it's changed since I was in...

50% of your Base pay? When I retired it was 50%, but they had changed that (maybe in these times it was changed back)

6 weeks paid Vacation? When I was in it was 30 days and weekends (or your normal days off) counted.

Never, never, never, believe what the recruiter says..... If it isn't in writing, he is lying. Thay have quota's to meet, and will do whatever it takes to meet them.

Enlisted has the better deal IMO, your promoted on your abilities and desire to advance. Officer ranks, way more political. For the average guy like me, the Military was the best option. HS degree, no real chance to go to college at the time, no real skills (worked at a steel mill). The pay wasn't that great at first. but when I left, I had a BSCS degree payed for by the military, a small but nice retirement check, medical care (no jacked up poopyty Health Care plans that cost a fortune), and a lot of real-world management experience.

It's not for everyone, but it's not "Full Metal Jacket", and that's what scares a lot of folks away from the military option....... If I had my way, we would still have a draft.

Absolutely. That would really focus people on what we are doing beyond putting their "Support Our Troops" magnet on their SUVs.

This may clash with some's view of me as a commie homo liberal but I would have no issue with mandatory two years of national service on turning 18 for EVERYONE. Conscientious objectors can be put into non-military Peace Corps-type stuff.

Maybe it's changed since I was in...

50% of your Base pay? When I retired it was 50%, but they had changed that (maybe in these times it was changed back)

I think it's 50% of your last 3 yrs averaged out vs 50% of your rank the day you got out (so if you were E-7 and got E-8 a week before you got out, your retirement pay was basically E-7).

6 weeks paid Vacation? When I was in it was 30 days and weekends (or your normal days off) counted.
Sorry, I wasn't counting weekends; it is 30 days (5 days/week equalling "6 weeks").

Never, never, never, believe what the recruiter says..... If it isn't in writing, he is lying. Thay have quota's to meet, and will do whatever it takes to meet them.
Yep.

If I had my way, we would still have a draft.
Yep.

This may clash with some's view of me as a commie homo liberal but I would have no issue with mandatory two years of national service on turning 18 for EVERYONE. Conscientious objectors can be put into non-military Peace Corps-type stuff.

i have said this too. but make the time served based on risk. u go into the army, 2 years. u sweep streets, 4y. etc

Recently I went to court to deal with an issue with the tag for my car.

I overheard the judge asking another fellow citizen if he was ready to join the military.

I couldn't really understand what was said before or after that phrase (and I may have misheard the judge), but I was curious what would happen if (say) someone thought they were going to get busted for dealing drugs, could they show up and sign up for the army and get whisked away to basic training before the bust occurred? If so, what would/could the civilian police do to the new recruit? Once inside the military, would the charges go away, or would they have to face them upon their exit from the military, or would the person get some sort of discharge to face the charges?

Can judges send people to serve time in the military in lieu of prison? For some reason, I thought they used to do this occasionally / often, but not sure anymore...

If someone "thinks" they might get busted there's no way they can joiin the military quick enough (this aint the circus) and even if so, the military is not a "sanctuary" to put it mildly. You can still get your ass busted by a cop just like anyone else, and then have hell to pay w/the military too.

He'd be better off not joining in the first place. At least then he doesn't have a dishonorable discharge.

Recently I went to court to deal with an issue with the tag for my car.

I overheard the judge asking another fellow citizen if he was ready to join the military.

I couldn't really understand what was said before or after that phrase (and I may have misheard the judge), but I was curious what would happen if (say) someone thought they were going to get busted for dealing drugs, could they show up and sign up for the army and get whisked away to basic training before the bust occurred? If so, what would/could the civilian police do to the new recruit? Once inside the military, would the charges go away, or would they have to face them upon their exit from the military, or would the person get some sort of discharge to face the charges?

Can judges send people to serve time in the military in lieu of prison? For some reason, I thought they used to do this occasionally / often, but not sure anymore...

not so sure i want criminals in the military. i read that a bunch of gangs were sending guys into the military to learn how to shoot, make bombs, and to get their hands on some nice weapons.