[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Psychopaths

matt770

I would argue that as horrible as this human being is (or any human being for that matter), that there is something within her that still reflects the glory of God by virtue of being Created in His image. You might not be able to recognize that seed of something good within her, but that doesn't mean it is not there.

In most cases, I agree that there is something good within the individual. In a very few, select cases, I am forced to disagree.

I would argue that as horrible as this human being is (or any human being for that matter), that there is something within her that still reflects the glory of God by virtue of being Created in His image. You might not be able to recognize that seed of something good within her, but that doesn't mean it is not there.

Provided that you're inclined to believe that we're creations of god, is it not enough to simply marvel at the amazing machinery involved in us simply being functioning beings? Does there actually have to be something "good" about us as well in order for the god theory to be credible?

What this issue has forced me to come to terms with, is that whether or not a creator exists, certainly my old concepts of right and wrong, and justice, and humanity's purpose on earth are not correct. These were ingrained from childhood within the context of religion, by family members who were religious, and while I'm not active in the church anymore, those old ideas don't just go away. The problem I am now having is, how to replace that with another philosophy that makes me believe that life is not a pointless waste of time. Because honestly, I could sit here and think long and hard about "meaning" and "worth", and if I am only able to do that within the context of this physical world, then I'm never going to come up with anything.

I started young adulthood from a position of agnosticism/atheism and then developed into becoming a christian. a theist, I suppose, but I don't love that word because it conjures images of what I think God isn't. point being, even though I know a lot of religious institutions sorta teach it, I don't think it's helpful to view God as some puppetmaster who creates everything good and bad in the world and knows everything that is going to happen but puts us through the painful motions anyway for his own amusement, or to "test" us (and what would be the point of testing us if he already knows, indeed has himself pre-ordained, how we will perform?)

instead I view God as the creative force in our universe, the author of life and light order. there are clearly destructive forces at work in the world, forces of death and failure, you can just call those "chaos" or "darkness" or "evil", or you can choose to personify them and label them the demonic, or "satan". but the point is, those forces are NOT God, they are the absence of God. the antithesis. creation and being go on despite the forces of annhilation and non-being. and we live on the battlefield. we ARE the battlefield.

people exist who embody that darkness, and whether they choose that path or were just "born that way", all we can do is pray for them, try to avoid being harmed by them, and try to limit the harm they can do. but to blame "God" for them being that way, well that's just falling for another trick of the debbil!

Sounds wonderful, but what does it mean? What is the point? I mean, if there is some tiny unseen glimmer of goodness within this beast, if it even exists, does that make up for the huge drain she is on humanity? What could possibly make her life worthwhile when she's caused so much stress and anxiety to so many people, not to mention the animals that she hoards that then get sick and die? If she got hit by a train, there would be a huge bash in the town square. I might piss on her grave.

And this is just some crazy woman who likes to engage in petty fights. What about the child rapists and murderers?

I've done a 180 on capital punishment -- I think we need to Josh Gordon these f*ckers out before they can even do anything to make it to death row.

I started young adulthood from a position of agnosticism/atheism and then developed into becoming a christian. a theist, I suppose, but I don't love that word because it conjures images of what I think God isn't. point being, even though I know a lot of religious institutions sorta teach it, I don't think it's helpful to view God as some puppetmaster who creates everything good and bad in the world and knows everything that is going to happen but puts us through the painful motions anyway for his own amusement, or to "test" us (and what would be the point of testing us if he already knows, indeed has himself pre-ordained, how we will perform?)

instead I view God as the creative force in our universe, the author of life and light order. there are clearly destructive forces at work in the world, forces of death and failure, you can just call those "chaos" or "darkness" or "evil", or you can choose to personify them and label them the demonic, or "satan". but the point is, those forces are NOT God, they are the absence of God. the antithesis. creation and being go on despite the forces of annhilation and non-being. and we live on the battlefield. we ARE the battlefield.

people exist who embody that darkness, and whether they choose that path or were just "born that way", all we can do is pray for them, try to avoid being harmed by them, and try to limit the harm they can do. but to blame "God" for them being that way, well that's just falling for another trick of the debbil!

Pretty awesome explanation. Makes more sense than what the churches teach.

Sounds wonderful, but what does it mean? What is the point? I mean, if there is some tiny unseen glimmer of goodness within this beast, if it even exists, does that make up for the huge drain she is on humanity? What could possibly make her life worthwhile when she's caused so much stress and anxiety to so many people, not to mention the animals that she hoards that then get sick and die? If she got hit by a train, there would be a huge bash in the town square. I might piss on her grave.

And this is just some crazy woman who likes to engage in petty fights. What about the child rapists and murderers?

I've done a 180 on capital punishment -- I think we need to Josh Gordon these f*ckers out before they can even do anything to make it to death row.

Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve to die. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be so eager to deal out death in judgment. - J.R.R.Tolkien