[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Berets

Scooby

I saw a show last nite maybe the discovery channely that was a few yrs old about the selection process..... after rolling around on the ground over & over for hrs on end, many of the guys got verigo and become delirious...they asked one guy where he was at, he responded "um , hash browns?" lol poor fella didn't make it needless to say, but I have a friend who is a green beret, he isn't real stocky, but adequately physically fit, not overweight, I guess the mental aspect he has makes up for it. They'd drop him in the middle of nowhere to fend for himself, other things he had to do were particularly grueling he didn't want to talk much about it. They also send u to a shrink when it's all said and done to gauge your mental faculties after being under duress for that long. I could never do this even if I were male. I didn't finish the show but I noticed alot of the (relatively) smaller guys were able to hang, while the muscled-up jocks fell by the way side which surprised me.

I had an ex-Navy Seal (Navy Equiv.?) in my classes years ago. He was 6'5", 245#'s of USDA Prime, and in for ~10 years. We went out for beers a few times. In class he was pretty quiet. In the bar he'd start to tell me things. Like how much they messed w/ his head, generally about missions, but nothing specific, and just how hard it was adjusting to a normal life. The thing that really freaked me out was when he said something like... "If I was still in and my CO told me that I had to kill YOU, there would be no question as to what my job would be." :wacko: He then said "That's the part of my life I need to exorcise." He really was a nice kid. I tried to get him more help (I had an in w/ the VA Rep at the college). But one day he just didn't come to class and never came back. Sad, cause I think he was a good kid who the guv just used and discarded. JMHO! A few people who I mentioned this to called BS. Sorry, it was all true.

God Bless ALL of our servicemen/women. Let's protect/help THEM anyway we can when they come back!

:D:D

sad but true, I can't be so naive not to think otherwise. I am so thankful for our soldiers, they sacrifice too much. I mentioned before but my best friend army wife who lost twins at 20 wks, they lived 24 hrs..her military hubby was shipped off 2 months later for a whole year!! Hopefully he can come back for a short visit in May, if not, he will remain in afghanistan till november

sad but true, I can't be so naive not to think otherwise. I am so thankful for our soldiers, they sacrifice too much. I mentioned before but my best friend army wife who lost twins at 20 wks, they lived 24 hrs..her military hubby was shipped off 2 months later for a whole year!! Hopefully he can come back for a short visit in May, if not, he will remain in afghanistan till november

God Bless! :wacko:

I didn't finish the show but I noticed alot of the (relatively) smaller guys were able to hang, while the muscled-up jocks fell by the way side which surprised me.

SEALS, Green Berets etc are supposed to be elite both physically & mentally. I would wager that you'd find a lot more that were considered geeks before joining up than jocks. The physical part comes with the training, but if you don't have the mental capacity or stamina to cut it then you're washed out.

My father was one of President Kennedy's first group of Green Beret's in 1960. He was featured in many Army recruiting brochures along with the rest of his "A" team. I rarely saw him not in uniform. The demands of the job eventually led to he and my mom divorcing. He is still alive today and as lean as ever. Never speaks of what he had to do during that time.