[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kick Ass Movie Review

DMD

Both my wife and I gave it two thumbs up. Pretty big ones.

Granted - this is NOT A KIDS MOVIE despite the several in attendance without any parents in my theeatre. It has language and graphic violence. Sort of reminiscent of Tarratino.

Obviously not a high drama but for a popcorn movie it was different and enjoyable. I would recommend it to those who can see "R" rated movies and it is a decent adult date movie. Nicholas Cage gives one of his standard oddball performances and his daughter was the standout of the movie. I'm glad I went and it exceeded my expectations. It was also much different than I assumed considering the trailers I had seen.

I thought the movie was awesome as well. However, I have a moral dilemma with this movie: The actress who plays Hit Girl in real life just turned 13, so she must have been 12, maybe 11 when she filmed this movie. The over-the-top violent scenes she took part, even as an actress just acting them out, has me shaking my head and wondering how any parent would let their child be in a movie like this.

Now, before anyone jumps all over me, I did enjoy the movie and agree with DMD that Hit Girl was the standout. I myself love action movies and all the stuff that comes with it. Heck, when I was 8 my mom took us to see "Alien" and a few years later we got her to take us to see "The Road Warrior". Now that I'm an adult and know better (supposedly), I just have issues with young children being exposed to this type of stuff, all under the guise of "acting".

I have a daughter who is 12 and I would never let her "act" in a movie like this knowing what her scenes would be. I'm only guessing here, but it seems too me here parents sold her out for $$$ - but isn't that always the case?

Am I just getting old? Too sensitive? Or does anyone else have a moral dilemma with this as well?

Edited by tosberg34

I have a daughter who is 12 and I would never let her "act" in a movie like this knowing what her scenes would be. I'm only guessing here, but it seems too me here parents sold her out for $$$ - but isn't that always the case?

Am I just getting old? Too sensitive? Or does anyone else have a moral dilemma with this as well?

first off, I thought the movie sucked

right along with you -no kids or anything but the hit girl chit made me uncomfortable as well, and I love a well-made believable, violent flick- which this was not. Her running around killing dudes out and talking chit just wasn't funny and was pretty lame imo

some funny parts with the actual kick-ass kid but overall not my kind of flick.

big thumbs down

The only really detracting thing was a girl that young speaking that sort of language and participating in the violence though in fairness it is hard to say how much violence she was actually there for given body doubles, changing camera angles and various camera tricks. Most of the reviews of the movie all center around that girl - she was too young to be acting that way and that she did a fantastic job anyway. That girl (Chloe Moretz) is currently 13 years old as of FEB but she was no more than 12 doing that movie.

Not giving anything away but one of my favorite lines in the movie was when one of the teenage guys said he he really liked the girl and when his friend said "you realize she is only 12" he replied "I can wait".