[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Black principal takes only black students to see black rocket scientist on field trip...

whether it's before school, during, after....it's still a racially exclusive group. that, to me, is a bad idea. I mean, maybe it's more palatable to some people if it's after school, maybe it's more technically "legal", but it still represents a fundamentally flawed idea -- that the way to work toward racial equality is with more racial discrimination. "separate but equal" doesn't work. never has, never will.

Then how do you feel about sexual segregation for certain groupds and organizations?

I think it might have also been helpful for the white kids to visit with a successful black scientist.

This little comment right here is very cogent and perceptive. Just think about it for a minute - If you (as a white kid) grow up in a school where the black kids intentionally torpedo academics because they don't want to "act white", then what will your experience be?

Aside from that, ursa is right. It's a field trip for the black lunch bunch then that's who should have gone, though perhaps outside school hours. :wacko:

Then how do you feel about sexual segregation for certain groupds and organizations?

I think those are necessary as its a biological fact that men and women are not equal. I dont think there's any science that proves one color or ethnicity of man/woman is different than another (other than appearance, obviously)...

I, for one, feel racial discrimination and sexual discrimination are completely different issues, and they have very little in common. they are often conflated by the shucksters of identity politics, but I don't think that equivocation holds up to logical scrutiny.

then the group itself is wrong imo. u cant exclude people based on skin color. football lets everyone tryout and be on the team, no?

Okay then that's a different issue. If the group has existed all along it shouldn't be news when that group decides to go on a trip together.

whether it's before school, during, after....it's still a racially exclusive group. that, to me, is a bad idea. I mean, maybe it's more palatable to some people if it's after school, maybe it's more technically "legal", but it still represents a fundamentally flawed idea -- that the way to work toward racial equality is with more racial discrimination. "separate but equal" doesn't work. never has, never will.

This is really the crux of the problem now isn't it? The teacher was trying to help build the self esteem of the black students with this particular field trip for this particular group. But just by recognizing the difference in skin color via the organization, it perpetuates the "otherness" of anyone not in the group.

Okay then that's a different issue. If the group has existed all along it shouldn't be news when that group decides to go on a trip together.

well yeah, I think the fundamental issue is the exclusivity of the group itself, and it was brought a little more forcibly to everyone's attention with the field trip event.

This is really the crux of the problem now isn't it? The teacher was trying to help build the self esteem of the black students with this particular field trip for this particular group. But just by recognizing the difference in skin color via the organization, it perpetuates the "otherness" of anyone not in the group.

as well as those in the group.

Stop making sense. People hate that.

But you're right; the problem is less the trip and more the group, or any such group - or broader still, that whole idiotic mentality. Also water is wet. But it's not going away any time soon.

Program for black students violated state law

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Officials say a program for African American elementary students in Ann Arbor that was disbanded after criticism over a field trip to meet a black rocket scientist violated state law.

School board President Deb Mexicotte said in a statement Wednesday the "Lunch Bunch" at Dicken Elementary, aimed at improving standardized test scores of African American students, was "well-intentioned," but also violated the district's anti-discrimination policy.

Principal Mike Madison was criticized by students excluded from last month's trip and their parents. Thirty students met with University of Michigan propulsion lab director Alec Gallimore.

Mexicotte said the district is working to restructure the program.

AnnArbor.com says district officials declined comment about whether Madison faces disciplinary action.