[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Played a WSOP event this weekend

Big F'n Dave

Harrah's New Orleans Bayou Poker Challenge kicked off this weekend and I played a $550 NL tournament (thanks to my finish in our local card club's year-end tourney a few weeks ago). There were about 340 players and the winner took home close to $37K. I took home nothing.

Really cool venue. We played in a theater at Harrah's with around 70 tables on the floor and several other "feature" tables on the stage. Floor-to-ceiling posters of Hachem, Brunson, Raymer and Hellmuth were hung throughout.

We started with $10K in chips and I was card dead for most of the first couple hours. Dabbled in a couple small pots, lost one medium pot and blinded down to about half my original stack when I hit pocket kings just before the first break. With a couple limpers in front, I went all in. Small blind was shorter than I was and he called. Big blind had a decent stack - around $15K or so - and called, too. Small blind turns up 8-8, big blind shows A-A. I'm resolved to going home when the flop comes J-8-K. Turn and river are blanks and I triple up. :lol:

Caught quad aces during the second session, but didn't get paid off. Then, in the last hand before the second break I try to steal a pot in the small blind going all in with A-Q of spades. Big blind (the guy I tripped up on earlier) eats up five minutes of the break trying to decide what to do. He finally folds and I'm at about $44K going into the second break. :tup:

Downhill after that as I made a couple of fairly loose calls against some all-in short stacks trying to knock people out. Broke my table and moved me when I was down to about $8K. Blinds were $500-$250 and antes were $50 when I caught K-Q of hearts. Guy in front of me goes all in with a similar stack and I call. He shows A-10 off. Flop comes K-Q-4. Turn is dick and the guy hits a f'n J on the river to get his straight. Busted out at 138.:tup:

Lot of fun, but stressful as hell. I only lasted about 5 1/2 hours, but I was absolutely exhausted when I walked out of there. I heard they played until 2 a.m. Sunday to get down to the final 30 and then back at 1 p.m. Sunday to finish. I never would've made it. Can't imagine playing those marathons like the main event. I'd never make it. :wacko:

Edited by Big F'n Dave

Sounds good! Yeah, I doubt if I could play for all those hours for 5-6 days straight.

Any poker tournies going on in Vegas for WCOFF?

Cool story Dave. The site of so many tables going off at once is nuts.

I'm deciding this week if I'm going to play in the opening $1K event at this year's WSOP with my Dad or if I am just going to stick with the Venetian's Deep Stack Extravaganza tournies.

As for WCOFF time, no major series that I am aware of, but the Venetian, which is where WCOFF is this year has one of the best poker rooms in Vegas and their normal daily tournies are some of the best of the dailies in Vegas, I believe the noon tourney is about $125 or so IIRC, and their "2nd chance" 7pm one is either the same or was $65, I can;t quite recall and can't pull up their site for the details at work.

I intend to play at least one day during the WCOFF trip.

Edited by Big Country

Harrah's New Orleans Bayou Poker Challenge kicked off this weekend and I played a $550 NL tournament (thanks to my finish in our local card club's year-end tourney a few weeks ago). There were about 340 players and the winner took home close to $37K. I took home nothing.

Really cool venue. We played in a theater at Harrah's with around 70 tables on the floor and several other "feature" tables on the stage. Floor-to-ceiling posters of Hachem, Brunson, Raymer and Hellmuth were hung throughout.

We started with $10K in chips and I was card dead for most of the first couple hours. Dabbled in a couple small pots, lost one medium pot and blinded down to about half my original stack when I hit pocket kings just before the first break. With a couple limpers in front, I went all in. Small blind was shorter than I was and he called. Big blind had a decent stack - around $15K or so - and called, too. Small blind turns up 8-8, big blind shows A-A. I'm resolved to going home when the flop comes J-8-K. Turn and river are blanks and I triple up. :lol:

Caught quad aces during the second session, but didn't get paid off. Then, in the last hand before the second break I try to steal a pot in the small blind going all in with A-Q of spades. Big blind (the guy I tripped up on earlier) eats up five minutes of the break trying to decide what to do. He finally folds and I'm at about $44K going into the second break. :tup:

Downhill after that as I made a couple of fairly loose calls against some all-in short stacks trying to knock people out. Broke my table and moved me when I was down to about $8K. Blinds were $500-$250 and antes were $50 when I caught K-Q of hearts. Guy in front of me goes all in with a similar stack and I call. He shows A-10 off. Flop comes K-Q-4. Turn is dick and the guy hits a f'n J on the river to get his straight. Busted out at 138.:tup:

Lot of fun, but stressful as hell. I only lasted about 5 1/2 hours, but I was absolutely exhausted when I walked out of there. I heard they played until 2 a.m. Sunday to get down to the final 30 and then back at 1 p.m. Sunday to finish. I never would've made it. Can't imagine playing those marathons like the main event. I'd never make it. :wacko:

Good for you man...sounds like you had a blast. Maybe one day i'll get a chance to play in one :lol:

Downhill after that as I made a couple of fairly loose calls against some all-in short stacks trying to knock people out. Broke my table and moved me when I was down to about $8K. Blinds were $500-$250 and antes were $50 when I caught K-Q of hearts. Guy in front of me goes all in with a similar stack and I call. He shows A-10 off. Flop comes K-Q-4. Turn is dick and the guy hits a f'n J on the river to get his straight. Busted out at 138. :lol:

:lol: Nice. I'd love to play an event like that someday. I have the stamina to last hours and hours :tup: so I'm sure I'd do great :(

Nice report.

Not that I know jack, but I'm folding the KQh to the guy's shove in front of you. If it's folded to me, hellz yeah jam it. But I'm not calling off my tourney with KQs with an M of 6-7. I'm waiting for a situation where I'm putting people to a decision, not the one having to make a decision. I'm not saying it's obvious, but to me it's a narrow fold.