[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carson Palmer value in a dynasty league

If you already had Rivers at QB would you rather keep Palmer as your back up or trade him for a 2011 1st round rookie pick ?

I am struggling with giving him up. Maybe it is because I drafted him in 2003 and I don't like to trade my own drafted players especially after having him on my roster for 7 years but he has seen the field (my line up) once in the last 2 years (Week 1 of 2008).

I had Culpepper when he turned from superstar to dust so I got nothing for him so having Rivers made me think getting rid of Palmer was the right thing to do but I am having 2nd thoughts now.

Just curious what others value Palmer's value at in a 10 team league.

TD heavy league - 4 pts a TD pass and you need to get at least 200 yards before you get even 1 pt for yardage (300 yards = 5 pts)

Who would your backup QB be if you do deal him? (Though, in a ten teamer with relatively standard rosters, there are usual some serviceable Qbs available to pick up)

Also, what are the prospects of the team you'd be trading him too, does it look like this would end up being an early pick or a later one?

Who would your backup QB be if you do deal him? (Though, in a ten teamer with relatively standard rosters, there are usual some serviceable Qbs available to pick up)

Also, what are the prospects of the team you'd be trading him too, does it look like this would end up being an early pick or a later one?

You can check out the league by clicking on the Charleston link in my sig. My team is Charleston his team is Montana.

Here is a link straight to the rosters - http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2009/o...=62537&O=07

Right now I only have Garrard on my roster and Troy Smith on my taxi squad. Pretty much every starting QB is gone with some back ups gone too as we carry 30 man rosters and 15 man taxi squads.

So there is some risk but I will try (and should be able to without a problem) land SD's back up QB in case of emergency.

Also I will try to secure another young QB via trade in this offseason (like a Chad Henne or someone I might get at cheap value that might be solid back up down the road for fantasy)

The guy I traded to has made the playoffs all 13 years but I think his luck is about to run out. He had Warner, Favre, Westbrook, Larry Johnson and Owens carry him the last few years leaving him with only a few really talented players (Fitz, Colston, Smith (NYG) and Greene.)

So I am banking he will finally miss the payoffs and that pick will be a top 4 pick next year.

Edited by Henry Muto

If you already had Rivers at QB would you rather keep Palmer as your back up or trade him for a 2011 1st round rookie pick ?

I am struggling with giving him up. Maybe it is because I drafted him in 2003 and I don't like to trade my own drafted players especially after having him on my roster for 7 years but he has seen the field (my line up) once in the last 2 years (Week 1 of 2008).

I had Culpepper when he turned from superstar to dust so I got nothing for him so having Rivers made me think getting rid of Palmer was the right thing to do but I am having 2nd thoughts now.

Just curious what others value Palmer's value at in a 10 team league.

TD heavy league - 4 pts a TD pass and you need to get at least 200 yards before you get even 1 pt for yardage (300 yards = 5 pts)

To be honest your actually not in a td heavy league based on your post so my opinion is Palmer is worth a trade for the number 1 rookie pick. Our league gives 6 points per td thrown or run and 5 points every 100 yards thrown and 1 point every 10 yards run, and after all this I would still trade Palmer for the number 1 pick, especially when your starting Rivers and have him on the bench anyways.

Edited by ajfalcone

To be honest your actually not in a td heavy league based on your post so my opinion is Palmer is worth a trade for the number 1 rookie pick. Our league gives 6 points per td thrown or run and 5 points every 100 yards thrown and 1 point every 10 yards run, and after all this I would still trade Palmer for the number 1 pick, especially when your starting Rivers and have him on the bench anyways.

It's not the number one pick, it's a first round pick for 2011. Still, I would do this trade simply from a salary cap perspective. Even if he has a great year, it won't be better than Rivers.

I ended up trading Palmer for a 2011 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick in this year's draft (#29)

I am hoping the team I traded doesn't make the playoffs and I will get a top 4 pick in 2011.

The only thing I don't like is with all the weapons Cincy is adding Palmer could easily be back up to the 3500 yard 30 TD range.

Remember Drew Brees did not have any 30+ TD seasons until the last 2 years he was avg around 24-26 a season.

Palmer is an elite QB and already has had a 32 and 30 TD season. He could be huge next year.

I tried to trade for Henne as a back up to Rivers as my QB but the guy is insane and wants a 1st round pick for Henne.

actually, he is.

Ya I am not sure what the other guy was thinking. Just because our TD passes are only 4 pts and his are 6 doesn't mean his is more of TD heavy league then mine that is not what you look at to determine that.

He gets 5 pts for 100 yards.

We get 1 pt starting at 200 yards! And last year we got 1 pt every 50 yards after that.

So in my league 3 TD's and 300 yards last year were worth 15 pts (12 pts for TD's and 3 pts for yards) = 80% of pts from the TD's

In his league 3 TD's and 300 yards would be worth 33 pts (18 pts for TD's and 15 pts for yards) = 55% of pts from the TD's