[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Student: Teacher Called Flag Pic Offensive...

http://www.ksbw.com/news/23512008/detail.html

SALINAS, Calif. -- A simple art project has turned controversial in Salinas after a student said her drawing of the American flag was deemed offensive, while another student's picture of President Obama was praised.

Tracy Hathaway said her art teacher at Gavilan View Middle School told her daughter she couldn't draw the American flag, calling the picture offensive.

Hathaway said they were floored when they heard the news and met with the teacher and principal at Gavilan View Middle School. When asked what she thought was offensive about drawing an American flag, the teacher didn't answer, Hathaway said.

The Hathaways now want an apology.

"From her teacher to just say 'I'm sorry for offending you' and saying this was 'offensive,' just a heart-felt apology is all I'm asking," Hathaway said.

The Hathaways said the issue isn't about race, but that racism has crept into the discussion after the school received more than 200 e-mails and phone messages, most of them containing hateful and racist comments.

"(Messages say) that we have violated that student's First Amendment rights and the so-called teacher needs to 'get the hell out of my country,'" said District Superintendent Mike Brusa.

Brusa also said another meeting is planned this week between the teacher, parents and Hathaway, and that an apology may be in order.

Although Brusa wouldn't discuss if any disciplinary action has been taken, or will be taken, the teacher involved wasn't on campus Monday.

if true, the teacher is way out of line and needs reprimand.

but what the hell is wrong with the kind of people who would run to the news with this kind of thing? what kind of mentality is that? I'll tell you....it's the exact same mentality as the people who run to jesse jackson when they get bad service at denny's. all this "gotcha" crap, "ZMOG I am so PERSECUTED!!!" :wacko: it's like watching an italian soccer match. makes me want to puke. :tup:

Edited by Azazello1313

if true, the teacher is way out of line and needs reprimand.

but what the hell is wrong with the kind of people who would run to the news with this kind of thing? what kind of mentality is that? I'll tell you....it's the exact same mentality as the people who run to jesse jackson when they get bad service at denny's. all this "gotcha" crap, "ZMOG I am so PERSECUTED!!!" :wacko: it's like watching an italian soccer match. makes me want to puke. :tup:

I don't agree with running to the media with it, but I do think the parents should go the the principal with it, and if they don't get satisfaction there, then they should go to the school board with it. What the teacher did was out of line, and needs to be corrected.