[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer ?

muck

Need a laptop asap.

It does not have to tie into stuff at the office, but if it did, that would be a bonus.

Currently have Windows XP and (yes) Office 2000 (which works just fine, tyvm).

Questions:

* What operating system to get? Presumably, I don't have much choice and it's Windows 7 w/ XP Mode or somesuch (because I'm not a techno type and I'm not getting Linux and I'm also not inclined to get a Mac -- I'm too stuck in my ways).

* Do I just load Office 2000 on, or do I buy the new version of Office?

* I need wireless internet, excel, word, powerpoint, skype ... no games, no fancy databases or graphics applications ...

* Suggestions for cheap place to get a decent machine? I need it to be up and running before Monday afternoon (preferrably up and running before 3pm tomorrow afternoon).

Thoughts?

Best Buy?

Wal mart? :wacko:

Honestly muck given time and cheap is the priority and you're not gaming or doing anything at all high end, I would check those or similar; even the cheapest is likely plenty for your needs (in fact the OS being the bottleneck). I've seen laptops under $400 which should suit you fine, and netbooks under $300, if that's an option.

re the OS, from what I gather, Win 7 is what Vista should have been. Should be fine there, even tho it's fn MS.

And why buy another MS Office if 2000 works fine for ya? Load er up. Or even install Open Office (free off the net).

Edited by BeeR

Best Buy?

Wal mart? :tup:

Honestly muck given time and cheap is the priority and you're not gaming or doing anything at all high end, I would check those or similar; even the cheapest is likely plenty for your needs (in fact the OS being the bottleneck). I've seen laptops under $400 which should suit you fine, and netbooks under $300, if that's an option.

re the OS, from what I gather, Win 7 is what Vista should have been. Should be fine there, even tho it's fn MS.

And why buy another MS Office if 2000 works fine for ya? Load er up. Or even install Open Office (free off the net).

I can't say I agree with BeeR very much, but he makes some sense here. :wacko: although that might be one of the signs of the Apocalypse...