[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wrought Iron Fence

Delicious_bass

Looking at fencing in the back yard and the laws of our development say we have to do black wrought iron. I have helped install wood and chain link fences for friends/family before, but I have no experience putting in wrought iron. Just curious...anyone out there have any opinions or recommendations on whether or not this is something I am better off to hire out or if its not that bad to do oneself? I have not gotten any bids on the job as yet, but I suspect it will be significantly more expensive than chain link. Would the savings of doing it myself be worth the hassle? :wacko:

I dont have the exact dimensions of the yard handy, but its not that big so I am not talking about several thousand feet of fence or anything. Very sandy where we are, too...

Edited by Delicious_bass

Looking at fencing in the back yard and the laws of our development say we have to do black wrought iron. I have helped install wood and chain link fences for friends/family before, but I have no experience putting in wrought iron. Just curious...anyone out there have any opinions or recommendations on whether or not this is something I am better off to hire out or if its not that bad to do oneself? I have not gotten any bids on the job as yet, but I suspect it will be significantly more expensive than chain link. Would the savings of doing it myself be worth the hassle? :wacko:

I dont have the exact dimensions of the yard handy, but its not that big so I am not talking about several thousand feet of fence or anything. Very sandy where we are, too...

I used to build custom wrought iron fences, but had someone else do the actual install (digging, concrete, etc.). I used to charge ~$5/foot for a 4' fence of a simple nature (just square and flat stock) and more for more ornate types, but that was 30 years ago.

If you're talking the prefab/bolt together type (I assume you don't have welding skills), the install shouldn't be too bad, that is sink the stanchions in concrete, wait until the concrete is cured, and assemble the sections. The hardest part would be the layout on the stanchions (proper spacing) and allowing for the gate opening(s).

I used to build custom wrought iron fences, but had someone else do the actual install (digging, concrete, etc.). I used to charge ~$5/foot for a 4' fence of a simple nature (just square and flat stock) and more for more ornate types, but that was 30 years ago.

If you're talking the prefab/bolt together type (I assume you don't have welding skills), the install shouldn't be too bad, that is sink the stanchions in concrete, wait until the concrete is cured, and assemble the sections. The hardest part would be the layout on the stanchions (proper spacing) and allowing for the gate opening(s).

Yeah, the proper spacing would be a definite concern and you're correct that I have no welding skills. I might have my answer right there...

I'd contract it out simply because I have a problem getting in from a long day's work and then doing projects in the evening but that's just me.

I hear ya. I typically do defer to contractors(gets done right(hopefully, anyway) and I dont have to sweat) when it comes to major projects and I will likely do so in this case, too. Just wanted to ask and see what folks had to say. If it turned out it enough fellas said it wasnt that tough to do, I might give it a go and see if I can save a few bucks. Sounds like I might be better off just hiring it out.

Thanks for the input, fellas

Good luck man! Real wrought iron (really it's a steel fence as REAL wrought iron hasn't been done since the turn of the last century! Long story.) is very $$$$$$! My best guess is ~$10-$15 per lineal foot @ 4' high and simple. Again, the prefab should be a lot cheaper. If there is an option for aluminum w/ a good anodizing or finish that is baked on (What's it called??? :wacko: ) would be my choice as steel will rust at the ground line (the acids in the concrete excellerate the corrosion) no matter what you do. Not to mention that the prefabs use relatively thin steel (16g vs 1/8" as we used to use).

I have the same constraints in my 'hood. We had one installed a few years back and from my research, the panels I could buy via the internet (Home Depot, Lowes, etc. did not carry at the time what is considered wrought iron i.e. coated steel, not aluminum or plastic) where about the same price as what I could get the job done complete for, so the decision was obvious. This was during the construction boom, not sure what costs are now, but get ready for this, the cost was around $30-$40 per foot. I had 3 quotes and researched materials thoroughly. GULP. Aluminum is around $20/foot, is lighter, bends easily, etc. The proper steel/iron fence is very durable and mine shows no signs of wear or rust. It is bolted together at each post and not welded. Look around at neighbors and find some local contractors to inquire with.

I have the same constraints in my 'hood. We had one installed a few years back and from my research, the panels I could buy via the internet (Home Depot, Lowes, etc. did not carry at the time what is considered wrought iron i.e. coated steel, not aluminum or plastic) where about the same price as what I could get the job done complete for, so the decision was obvious. This was during the construction boom, not sure what costs are now, but get ready for this, the cost was around $30-$40 per foot. I had 3 quotes and researched materials thoroughly. GULP. Aluminum is around $20/foot, is lighter, bends easily, etc. The proper steel/iron fence is very durable and mine shows no signs of wear or rust. It is bolted together at each post and not welded. Look around at neighbors and find some local contractors to inquire with.

I'd say 30 to 40 foot installed sounds about right.

Good luck man! Real wrought iron (really it's a steel fence as REAL wrought iron hasn't been done since the turn of the last century! Long story.) is very $$$$$$! My best guess is ~$10-$15 per lineal foot @ 4' high and simple. Again, the prefab should be a lot cheaper. If there is an option for aluminum w/ a good anodizing or finish that is baked on (What's it called??? :wacko: ) would be my choice as steel will rust at the ground line (the acids in the concrete excellerate the corrosion) no matter what you do. Not to mention that the prefabs use relatively thin steel (16g vs 1/8" as we used to use).

You thinking about powder coat?

The association docs refer to it as "black wrought iron" but I think you are right that it is indeed coated steel or aluminum...

The model home has some of it up so I will stop in there and check who they had put it up and likely solicit a bid from them just to see what's what.