[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

chicago gun ban shot down

dmarc117

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06...-amendment.html

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court struck down Chicago's ban on hand guns today and extended the reach of the 2nd Amendment as a nationwide protection against laws that infringe the "right to keep and bear arms."

The 5-4 decision voids the 1982 ordinance, one of the nation's strictest, which barred city residents from having handguns for their own use, even at home. The ruling has both local and national implications.

:wacko::tup::tup:

Edited by dmarc117

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess NY will be next.

I would like to see some statistics on who was caught with hand guns since this law. I will bet that laws like these only help the criminal. :wacko:

i think that criminals will always be able to get their hands on weapons. this just kinda levels the playing field. gives the bad guys something to think about when they are casing a neighborhood. does that homeowner have a pistola or not?

I find it amusing that some think gun rights are under threat in this country when it's pretty clear that they are at an all-time high.

I question the truth of this statement. There are still a number of firearms that the general public is not allowed to own without special permits and permission. Back when the 2nd amendment was written, anyone could basically own any type of weapon they had the desire and the financial ability to purchase. It was not all that unusual for individuals to own cannon. Today we have a lot of restrictions. I'd like to see you try to own and fire a cannon on your own property without having special permits and see what happens. I'd like to see what would happen to you if you built a range on your own acreage and started firing fully automatic weapons. No, gun rights are not at all time high, they aren't even close. We are starting to head back in the right direction, but are still a long way from having our rights reaffirmed.

I question the truth of this statement. There are still a number of firearms that the general public is not allowed to own without special permits and permission. Back when the 2nd amendment was written, anyone could basically own any type of weapon they had the desire and the financial ability to purchase. It was not all that unusual for individuals to own cannon. Today we have a lot of restrictions. I'd like to see you try to own and fire a cannon on your own property without having special permits and see what happens. I'd like to see what would happen to you if you built a range on your own acreage and started firing fully automatic weapons. No, gun rights are not at all time high, they aren't even close. We are starting to head back in the right direction, but are still a long way from having our rights reaffirmed.

i def think that some firearms should be outlawed from public ownership. ummm, cannons? had a buddy in college call up the local range and ask the guy if he could bring a howitzer. the range guy was like, huh? a howitzer!! you cant fire one of those!!!

Edited by dmarc117

i def think that some firearms should be outlawed from public ownership. ummm, cannons?

Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't that is neither hear nor there. I was just pointing out that the statement billay made was false.

Given that the incorporation of the Bill of Rights against the states dates back to the 1890's, and the second amendment has only today been incorporated, I'll stand by my statement.

Given that the incorporation of the Bill of Rights against the states dates back to the 1890's, and the second amendment has only today been incorporated, I'll stand by my statement.

True of false, in the past citizens have been able to own and fire much more powerful weapons than they are now able to own and fire? Part of the reason the 2nd amendment is just now being incorporated is because stupid laws like the one in Chicago were not even contemplated early on in our history. It wasn't until we started moving further away from the original intent that cases like these had to be brought forward to protect rights. Just because the right has not been argued in court does not mean that it hasn't existed all along.

True of false, in the past citizens have been able to own and fire much more powerful weapons than they are now able to own and fire? Part of the reason the 2nd amendment is just now being incorporated is because stupid laws like the one in Chicago were not even contemplated early on in our history. It wasn't until we started moving further away from the original intent that cases like these had to be brought forward to protect rights. Just because the right has not been argued in court does not mean that it hasn't existed all along.

I'm talking about legal recognition. You're talking about something else. Given that most of the Bill of Rights has long since been incorporated, I think today's decision by the Supreme Court stands as a pretty definitive high water mark for gun rights.

so when you say you are amused that "some think gun rights are under threat in this country", you are talking about, like, as of 8 AM this morning? :wacko:

today's decision, and Heller a couple years ago, are definitely big victories for gun rights advocates. they are clearly winning ground in the courts. but a lot of local governments are also working harder than ever to restrict those rights. so there's still a lot to be said and done about the issue.

Glad it got reversed. No reason why it should have been enacted in the first place, when criminals get guns from straw buyers in other states with regularity.

Now Perch, I think you are off the deep end with having access to military-grade weaponry, but hey . . . good luck buying that Bradley!

Glad it got reversed. No reason why it should have been enacted in the first place, when criminals get guns from straw buyers in other states with regularity.

Now Perch, I think you are off the deep end with having access to military-grade weaponry, but hey . . . good luck buying that Bradley!

Never said I wanted to. I was merely pointing out that what billay said was not true, that in the past the average citizen could own military-grade weaponry. Personally I think automatic weapons are fun to shoot but I wouldn't want one as most are not all that accurate, and waste way too much lead.

I don't find your colonial-era references all that convincing.

Betcha you would if he had a cannon pointing at your house.

Well, up until this morning, state and local governments could restrict an individuals second amendment rights.

well up until relatively recently, they never really tried to. even with this ruling, there are a lot more restrictions on owning guns now than there were in the past. this really isn't even debateable.

well up until relatively recently, they never really tried to. even with this ruling, there are a lot more restrictions on owning guns now than there were in the past. this really isn't even debateable.

Sure it is. "Doesn't bother to regulate" and "Doesn't have the power to regulate" is an important distction, one conservatives here have argued often.