[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 Foot Pole List

tazinib1

4 seasons in the NFL is longer than you think. Most players aren't exactly Favre longevity-wise to say the least. Again I said a little long in the tooth. And "playing is a game" is meaningless - you get 1 carry and bam you "played in a game." He's barely averaging over 200 carries/year and usually isn't exactly dazzling when he does - and again has Brown nipping at his heels. His recep's give him some value, but to each their own. Way too much uncertainty for me.

After being burned in 08 (my 1st season of FF) w/ Addai, I've owned him on a couple teams since then and been happy with the production. The thing is, he is a starting RB on a potent offense and can be had for a late 4th round pick. He scores a fair amount, catches well, and seems to be trusted by Manning.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points, yo mama. Thanks for bringing numbers to the table. There's no doubt that ARI will lean on the running game more. I also think that Wells gets more carries in his 2nd year, but I see what you're saying about the lack of rec. In a PPR that is a killer. With Hightower in the picture Wells probably won't be consistent enough to justify his current ADP. I will defenitly be knocking him down a few spots after reading your post. Thank you, sir

Even going back to his college days Beanie was pretty whimpy. Coach Tressel never says anything of value, ever, but he did go out of his way to mention that Beanie needed to be prodded to play through pain or give his complete effort. Those little things say a lot about the guy. I cant tell you how many times a little injury put him out for more time than it should have. For all the talent he has, you cant name more than 2 games he actually took over and dominated while having a superior supporting cast. LSU and Michigan, thats it.

Like someone else mentioned, taking Hightower in the #100s is a better deal. When it was crunch time the staff went to him, they trust Hightower.

Even going back to his college days Beanie was pretty whimpy. Coach Tressel never says anything of value, ever, but he did go out of his way to mention that Beanie needed to be prodded to play through pain or give his complete effort. Those little things say a lot about the guy. I cant tell you how many times a little injury put him out for more time than it should have. For all the talent he has, you cant name more than 2 games he actually took over and dominated while having a superior supporting cast. LSU and Michigan, thats it.

Like someone else mentioned, taking Hightower in the #100s is a better deal. When it was crunch time the staff went to him, they trust Hightower.

I usually watch alot of game tape to evaluate the RB classes each year for the rookie draft. The thing that jumped out at me about Beanie the Weanie was his continuous habit of running out of bounds to avoid a hit and gain that extra yard. That was a major red flag to me...the constant prodding by the Ohio State coaching staff to play through nagging injuries sealed the deal.

Reading the posts about Beanie, I'm somewhat convinced that Hightower might be one of the best, if not THE best value pick in the entire draft. Granted, the Cards' offense is a bit murky, but for where Hightower is being drafted in most mocks, how can you not like the upside in a PPR league?

I'm surprised to see Wells on so many lists. I think he's a prime breakout candidate for this year. No Boldin or Warner means that ARI will go to a more balanced attack. I don't like Hightower stealing touches, but it became very apparent as last season wore on that Beanie is by far their best rusher. Would anyone care to elaberate on why they won't be touching Wells?

I'll sum it up in 3 letters --- P P R :wacko:

• 5 months later...
If I consider the concept of the 10 foot pole to mean "guys I will never draft because I guarantee someone else will pick him before I do", here's my list:

Matt Forte

Clinton Portis

Jerome Harrison

DeSean Jackson

Vincent Jackson (assuming he holds out which seems like a lock)

Donald Driver

Greg Olsen

Drew Brees (uh, hello... he's on the cover of Madden) :wacko:

Thought it was funny to revisit the 10 foot pole lists from this past summer. Funny thing is, I ended up with Forte in my main local. He fell WAY too far, so I guess he never belonged on this list. I was wrong about DeSean Jackson to some extent, though why is it he seems to tweak his ankle or knee every single game? What is he about 170 pounds? And there was that stretch there when Brees was a turnover machine against teams like Arizona, but he generally was solid this year. Now, who's on the list next year?

If I had to draft based on how things are right now, my list would include:

Peyton Hillis (someone else will draft him in the first round - it won't be me)

Matthew Stafford (get through a whole season alive and we'll talk)

John Carlson (run some routes and we'll talk - oh, and thanks for waking up and catching 2 TDs against New Orleans last weekend :tup: )

Frank Gore (I get the feeling the wheels are about to come off)

Donald Brown (the king of "potential" finally showed us he couldn't live up to it this year)

I'm surprised to see Wells on so many lists. I think he's a prime breakout candidate for this year. No Boldin or Warner means that ARI will go to a more balanced attack. I don't like Hightower stealing touches, but it became very apparent as last season wore on that Beanie is by far their best rusher. Would anyone care to elaberate on why they won't be touching Wells?

I will elaborate because he sucks . . .

I forgot about Gates but give me Celek or even Shiancoe later instead.

HAHA Celek or Shiancoe. Really!! Clark and Gates are bonified studs, locked into their respective quarterbacks for 70-90 catches per year. Basically starting another wide receiver in a tight end role. True the position is deep....really deep but you cant guarantee that production from anyone else going into the draft. After the top 3-4 guys its a crap shoot and just hope you hit with a dart. If you have bidding for waivers the last thing you want to do is spend money on a TE if your Celek or Shiancoe doesn't pan out. Just my :wacko:

I know Austin was a one year wonder but he never really came back to earth after he began to tear it up last year. I think most people thought that he would, but it just didn't happen. Personally, I don't see how he isn't going to at least repeat what he did last year considering their easy schedule against the pass and all the weapons they have. I would totally spend an early 2nd round pick on the guy but that's just me.

Five I wouldn't touch:

Steven Jackson (awesome player but always a disappointment)

Darren McFadden (third time's the charm? I doubt it!)

Lesean McCoy (just don't see him having "it" plus the crowded backfield in a pass heavy offense)

Any SD Charger

Anquan Boldin (another beast, just not the right team for him as far as fantasy production goes)

Id actually would love to have that team. lol.