[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

9th pick in a 12 team league

owen21

I have the 9th pick in a 12 team league. Normal scoring not ppr....

starting

1 QB

2 RB

1 RB/WR

2 WR

1 TE

1 Def

1 K

I would love some advice regarding what position to target. @ 9 would it be better to target a QB, WR or RB.....because I will be a long way down the RB list if they all start going....

Assuming that this draft will snake, you need to look at the drop off by position that you will see with the 10th-15th picks.

I never take a QB that early, so I take that position off the board. With no PPR RB value goes up considerably and I would see at least 6 RB's come off before you pick, maybe 1/2 QB's and 1/2 WR's.

That means you are looking at the #2 or #3 WR and the #7 or #8 RB for your first pick.

Now look at picks 10-15, what do you feel will go off the board knowing it will be a long time before these guys pick again:

10-RB/WR

11-WR/RB

12-QB/RB

Let's say it looks like the above, this means you are looking at the #5 or #6 WR and the #10 or #11 RB. Look at your rankings of the drop in value of the number 2 WR vs. the number 5 WR and look at the drop in value of the number 7 RB vs. the number 10 RB.

What has the most risk

Who do you feel better about

If for some reason NO WR's come off before you take AJ at 9 and the best available RB at 16.

With no PPR, 2 required RBs, 2 required WRs and a flex RB/WR, RB value is very high in this setup simply due to supply and demand. The elite WRs will still be an option, so if for some reason AJ is there, he is likely the choice, though you have to give consideration to your preferred RB of the likes of DWill, Grant, Mendenhall, Turner, SJax, etc., all of whom warrant consideration at the pick (plus others, depending on your ranking, that was off the top of my head) even with AJ on the board. IMO, QB not an option unless scoring is really odd, though you state it is "normal"

Thanks guys some really valuable information here...I will use it to set myself up for the draft....I was thinking of a QB @ 9 but after reading your responses I think this is a flawed idea. I will hope AJ drops otherwise I will take 2 RBs...

I have concerns about mendenhall so hopefully dwill and s jackson will be there....

Thanks guys some really valuable information here...I will use it to set myself up for the draft....I was thinking of a QB @ 9 but after reading your responses I think this is a flawed idea. I will hope AJ drops otherwise I will take 2 RBs...

I have concerns about mendenhall so hopefully dwill and s jackson will be there....

Depending on how many others wait on a QB, I target my first around round 6/7. I will usually take QB's back to back, taking one that late is a risk so I try and grab my second before others start to draft theirs. There should be guys like Cutler, Flacco, Cassel and maybe Kolb out there late that could put up some numbers.

I would rather risk taking a QB late than trying to guess what RB is going to break out.

Considering you have the 9th spot, I really don't think takin the top QB here is such a bad idea.

But ONLY if your draft snakes.

I think D Williams, R Mendenhall, S Jax are all worth taking at the 9th spot IF they're there.

If its down to J Charles and a bunch of other backs who aren't bonafide elite, then you should go QB, and then WR.

Sounds risky, but once you hit that spit in the running backs where they're all decent but not elite (B Jacobs, M Barber, F jackson, C Portis, L McCoy)

you're probably fine taking the BA QB and WR and starting a trend, and then plucking the two best available backs when your next two picks swing around.

I've done this in at least three drafts (all between 7-10 pick in snake drafts), and it works beautifully.

I've ended with a roster like this in one of the drafts (the first 4 picks):

QB A Rodgers

WR L Fitzgerald

RB R Grant

RB K Moreno

Once you pluck a top qb and wr, everyone else panics and goes after quarterbacks and receivers. if you don't do it, someone else will.

Hopefully some of this helps. Good luck.

In a non-PPR, I would strongly suggest you try to get solid RBs earlier than later. I think starting WR-WR or WR-QB or something like that would be a borderline disaster with your league setup. I might consider a guy like Randy Moss with the 9th pick if AJ is gone, mainly because they guy is a near lock for double digit TDs. Still, you want guys who find the end zone and you can get decent WRs in the 3rd and 4th still (maybe Jennings, Steve Smith (CAR), etc.). You have to be able to play it by ear though because if RBs start flying heavily, the value might not be there in the 2nd round whereas a top 5 WR candidate like Reggie Wayne might be. I am also in the camp of waiting on QBs until the mid rounds. You can be decent at QB with two guys between rounds 7 and 10 while your RB and WR depth is better than most other teams as a result. Good luck!

In a non PPR league, I think I would take Mendenhall at that spot without hesitation.

I had never thought in terms of beginning a trend but I see what you mean. I would probably start a QB run if I was to take a QB and then pick up a decent RB on my next pick...

With your league setup, QBs have very reduced value. Unless you were 100% absolutely certain you were going to draft the #1 QB at the end of the season, and that he was going to have a Brady like 50 TD season and be well ahead of the scoring of the QBs you could get in the 4th-8th rounds, you just can;t really justify going QB. The scoring drop generally just is not there to warrant it.