[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top QB/WR Combo

ttaylor8

I'm convinced I want to draft a QB/WR combo this year. Which combo below do you think will be the top scoring combo in 2010?

Based on $100 salary cap, which combo is the best value based on the projected values listed below?

At first glance, I think the Schaub/Johnson combo could be the highest scoring....but the Romo/Austin combo looks like the best value.

Manning Wayne 40.00

Schaub Johnson 39.00

Brady Moss 37.00

Brees Colston 35.00

Rodgers Jennings 34.00

Romo Austin 30.00

I'm not a proponent of the "draft a connection at all costs" idea, and the fact that it's generally a fundamentally flawed concept has been discussed many times in many threads around here ... when you get lucky and it works, you can look like a genius, but ... well, enough said on that topic.

Back to the original question, assuming that you are set on this draft strategy course, I'd rank your list as follows off the top of my head, based on presumed production, game to game consistency, salary cap value, risk vs reward, etc ... note that I have not done any research into strength of schedule, potentially favorable FF playoff schedule and the like:

4. Manning Wayne 40.00

5. Schaub Johnson 39.00

6. Brady Moss 37.00

1. Brees Colston 35.00

3. Rodgers Jennings 34.00

2. Romo Austin 30.00

Edited by ts

I'm not a proponent of the "draft a connection at all costs" idea, and the fact that it's generally a fundamentally flawed concept has been discussed many times in many threads around here ... when you get lucky and it works, you can look like a genius, but ... well, enough said on that topic.

Back to the original question, assuming that you are set on this draft strategy course, I'd rank your list as follows off the top of my head, based on presumed production, game to game consistency, salary cap value, risk vs reward, etc ... note that I have not done any research into strength of schedule, potentially favorable FF playoff schedule and the like:

4. Manning Wayne 40.00

5. Schaub Johnson 39.00

6. Brady Moss 37.00

1. Brees Colston 35.00

3. Rodgers Jennings 34.00

2. Romo Austin 30.00

TS....could you expand more on why you are against this theory? Last year, 3 of our final 4 teams had a QB/WR combo...but maybe that was an anomoly? In previous years it was more scattered. But it seems in our league QB's and WR's are scoring more than ever, and have a great combo would be ideal.

By no means would I do this at all cost....Only if things worked out that way. But if there are legitamate reasons not to do this at all, I surely could change my mind. Do you actually try to avoid this situation?

TS....could you expand more on why you are against this theory? ... Do you actually try to avoid this situation?

First, off, no I don't intentionally "avoid" the situation ... but I don't seek it out either ... a few reasons:

• - looking to land a "connection" just for the sake of doing so is a bad idea if it means that you leave potentially higher-valued players on the draft board (or auction board) just so you have the "combo" on your roster

• - Manning & Wayne are going to score what they score in the NFL (as are Rodgers & Jennings, etc) whether or not you have succeeded in drafting that "combo" for your FF team ... so if you draft the GBP combo (ie overpay for Jennings just to complete the Rodgers-Jennings connection) and Wayne outscores Jennings (which he likely will) you have wasted a draft pick or spent more auction $ than you needed to in order to secure your "connection"

• - the combo is great in the games where your QB/WR connect for 3 scores & 450 combined yards ... not so much when the other team's defense shuts down the passing game, or the weather is bad, or the opponent's CB2 stinks so that your WR1 gets only 2 targets for the day because the game plan calls for throwing the ball to every WR/TE on the team except the one you drafted

• - WR is traditionally the toughest position in FF to predict future performance & overall consistency - season to season, much less game to game ... so I dislike the idea that I am going to enter any FF draft with a strategy dependent on my walking away with a given WR that connects with my QB, and the success of my season perhaps being dependent on that WR performing at a level that meets or beats his ADP, that he stays healthy, that there is no bad weather during the FF playoffs if my "combo" is on an outdoor/northern team, that my "combo" is not on a team that clinches the division early & sits starters in the final week of the NFL regular season, etc

Generally speaking - the combo is ok if getting one does not compromise the rest of your draft & if you get suitable value from the QB & WR involved, and don't reach on draft day to complete that "connection" ... but even then, it comes with something of an "all the eggs in 1 basket" risk that to me too often outweighs the potential reward. Hence my comment that drafting the "combo" was a fundamentally flawed concept - if you seek the combo at the expense of an otherwise reasonable & productive draft strategy, and/or end up with a "combo" that does not come as close as is realistic to expect by way of offering consistent FF production game in-game out during the course of the season.

Edited by ts

No, no bonus for combo.

Then there is no reason to target a combo.

When you decide to take a WR, take your highest rated WR.

When you decide to take a QB, take your highest rated QB.

If they happen to be from the same team, so be it. If not, so be it.

To not take your highest rated one is a flawed approach. To target one or the other because of who you have already drafted is a flawed approach.

And to answer your earlier question, yes, it was an anomaly that 3 of your top 4 teams had a combo. You neither target the a combo nor avoid it.

No, it is not an anomaly for the WR (or WRs) of the top QBs to also have the top WRs at year's end. Someone has to catch all those passes for a QB to be at the top at the end of the year.

I love the combo idea, and I do it every year.

BUT, you need to use discretion with it. Like someone else in this thread said, if you have Rodgers, you don't draft G Jennings to complete your combo, and in the process pass up Reggie Wayne and Rodd White.

I wouldn't bite on V Jax early to complete a combo with P Rivers, either.

I just think you need to be smart about it.

But if you get stacked at running back and can get good value, Romo/Austin seems like a nice connection.

I think another aspect people need to consider now is the QB/TE combo.

Manning and Clark in 2009 was just as good as Manning/Wayne, and Romo/Witten was pretty damn good, too.

If you can't get Romo/Austin or Manning/Wayne, draft the elite tight end a couple rounds later.

But judging by this list, obviously the best option is Schaub/AJ. It just is. Schaub locks in on AJ like crazy, so as long as both players stay healthy, you are GOING to get insane fantasy production.

As far as values go, though, the Romo package is very nice (as you can get Romo fairly late for a supposed elite fantasy option).

And I know I went again the Rivers/Jackson combo, but if you can get Rivers in the top 3-5 rounds, and Jax falls to you in round seven or later (because people are scwared), then snag him.

• 2 weeks later...
I just think you need to be smart about it.

I believe you can only be smart about it, if you can accurately predict which WRs will not only score well, but be consistent week to week. Therein lies the problem. On the weeks where you QB hooks up with your WR for 3 TDs, you're unstoppable, but on weeks where that team has a poor performance...you're very unlikely to win.