[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pre-draft trade for Adrian Peterson in 3 player keeper

lb3

This is my second year in a keeper league. It's a 16 team league where you can keep up to 3 players. For each player you keep you loose a pick from the top of the draft. I won the league last year but have never had to worry about keeper strategies before.

I still have some value after my top three players so I'm trying to work out some trades with teams that only have one obvious player worth keeping. Here are my top 5 players:

• Aaron Rogers
    Maurice Jone-Drew
    Jamal Charles
    Ryan Grant
    DeSean Jackson

One trade offer on the table is Adrian Peterson for Aaron Rogers and Jamal Charles. Having AP and MJD as my starting RBs would be fantastic and still leave me with a good WR1 but my concern is that in a 16 team league where I will have the last pick in the third round there won't be much left at QB. In the past I've always held the position that by picking the best matchups, a pair of late round QBs can perform like mid round selections but last year was pretty nice not having to worry about who to start.

Tell me I'm over thinking this and to go make the trade.

if that offer really is on the table... CLICK ACCEPT!

Then try to move Grant and DeJax for a WR upgrade.

Thanks for the sanity check. I'm going to try to offer the same trade for Chris Johnson before I accept, then start moving the others.

They try to move Grant and DeJax for a WR upgrade.

+1 seriously if you have AP and MJD in a 16 team league? I was excited about having Rice and CJ in a 12 team league. I would jump on that!

They try to move Grant and DeJax for a WR upgrade.

+1

Plus im probably in the minority that I feel DeJax is not a bonified WR1.

Although if this is not ppr, and u can start 3rb's in your lineup via the flex, those are 3 solid safe rb's to throw out there every week if u kept ap,mjd,grant..

I really don't know about giving up the #1 QB in a 16 team league. You can upgrade without giving up Rogers. You may stick yourself with a subpar QB but how heavy is QB points? Performance or scoring? If Performance Rogers has a lot of value to me and in scoring he was 4th. AP and MJD would be nice but if your stuck with Matt Lightheart as your QB maybe not so much.

Comes down to will AP give you enough production over say a Grant minus the points you lose from Rogers. that is tough really. In a sixteen team league Stud QB's are on about 7 teams right? So giving up a top QB and a solid rookie STARTER is a lot especially if your left with drafting a third or fourth teir QB as a result.

I don't want to make things harder then they already are on you but I like Rogers and Grant production this year. GB should be at the top of the league in scoring as their D give up points.

That is a really juicy prospect...but before you pull the trigger, not having a bona fide QB in a 16 teamer would make me nervous. Can you spin Ryan Grant to a team that has two solid QB's...and possibly is in need of another good RB?

Thanks for all the replys and the healthy dose of scepticism.

He changed his trade offer to Peterson for Rogers and DeSean Jackson.

I just realized that the Free Agents were unlocked so I was able to claim Kevin Kolb off waivers. Suckers! When I did that I pulled the trigger on the trade figuring the worst I could do is put Charles and Grant into the draft pool.

Here are my new Top 5 players (can only keep 3)

• Adrian Peterson
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Jamal Charles
    Ryan Grant
    Kevin Kolb

Makes for a crazy-strong RB1, RB2, and decent QB with some big upside. I assume that I need to trade some of those excess players for one more upgrade. After looking at the other rosters I see a handful of teams with good QBs and few other players worthy of keeping. In that group are Brady, Schaub, Farve, & Rothlisberger.

Shaub and Brady are the obvious gets here so I think will make a play for them with Kolb, Grant, and Charles.

At the end of the second hypothetical trade it looks like I could go from Rogers, MJD, and Jamal Charles, to possible, AP, MJD, and Schaub/Brady.

Not a bad starting 3 in this keeper league. We're in a QB performance league so there is quite a bit of separation between top and bottom QBs and with every team carrying 2 QBs their value is enhanced further since there are practically no starters available on waivers during the season. Am I missing anything here? Most player rankings have Andre Johnson and Randy Moss higher than any QBs, Should I make a play for a WR1 instead of upgrading the QB and take my chances with someone like Chad Henne or Vince Young in the draft?

Edited by lb3

Thanks for all the replys and the healthy dose of scepticism.

He changed his trade offer to Peterson for Rogers and DeSean Jackson.

I just realized that the Free Agents were unlocked so I was able to claim Kevin Kolb off waivers. Suckers! When I did that I pulled the trigger on the trade figuring the worst I could do is put Charles and Grant into the draft pool.

Here are my new Top 5 players (can only keep 3)

• Adrian Peterson

Maurice Jones-Drew

Jamal Charles

Ryan Grant

Kevin Kolb

Makes for a crazy-strong RB1, RB2, and decent QB with some big upside. I assume that I need to trade some of those excess players for one more upgrade. After looking at the other rosters I see a handful of teams with good QBs and few other players worthy of keeping. In that group are Brady, Schaub, Farve, & Rothlisberger.

Shaub and Brady are the obvious gets here so I think will make a play for them with Kolb, Grant, and Charles.

At the end of the second hypothetical trade it looks like I could go from Rogers, MJD, and Jamal Charles, to possible, AP, MJD, and Schaub/Brady.

Not a bad starting 3 in this keeper league. We're in a QB performance league so there is quite a bit of separation between top and bottom QBs and with every team carrying 2 QBs their value is enhanced further since there are practically no starters available on waivers during the season. Am I missing anything here? Most player rankings have Andre Johnson and Randy Moss higher than any QBs, Should I make a play for a WR1 instead of upgrading the QB and take my chances with someone like Chad Henne or Vince Young in the draft?

I would definately get a good QB. Performance league demands it. WR's you can spot start and production is similar or deeper accross the board but QBs scoring you 300 and 1.5 TD's per week is critical. I would upgrade QB as priority because with your RBs adding a solid point scorer week in and week out at QB will put a lot of pressure on your opponents. You can get by with a second or third tier WR especially if its a PPR league. If you can grab a top TE you would be golden.

I just realized that the Free Agents were unlocked so I was able to claim Kevin Kolb off waivers.

I hope that wasn't an error on your commish's part and he pulls Kolb back. If that happens, you need to undo this trade as it was based on your ability to claim Kolb.