[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First Draft/Team of the Year

10 team league .5 PPR and 2 pt bonus at 100 yds rushing or receiving. 2 pt bonus for passing at 300 yds. 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, Flex, TE, K, TD

I got the 10th pick. I'd done a couple of mocks before hand and I just don't like that group of RB's. I'd already resigned myself to taking either 2 WR's or a WR and QB. Here's how the draft went:

1. (10) Reggie Wayne WR

2. (11) Randy Moss WR

3. (30) Knowshon Moreno RB

4. (31) Steve Smith WR (NYG)

5. (50) Jahvid Best RB

6. (51) Felix Jones RB

7. (70) Dwayne Bowe WR

8. (71) Jay Cutler QB

9. (90) Ricky Williams RB

10. (91) Owen Daniels TE

11. (110) Green Bay DEF

12. (111) Matt Ryan QB

13. (130) Braylon Edwards WR

14. (131) Chester Taylor RB

15. (150) James Jones WR

Andre and ARogers were gone when it came to me. I have Wayne Moss and CJohnson pretty close to each other. I wanted Wayne and CJ, but they have the same bye. Moreno is my somewhat sleeper RB pick, so I was planning on taking him as one of my picks when it came back to me. After Knowshon I had a tier of about 7 RB's. I figured I could get 1 of those 7 when it came back to me, and possibly 2. Most of the teams already had 2 RB's, so they were looking to fill other positions. I was able to get #5 (Best) and #7 (FJones), of the 7 RB's in that tier (The other RB's that went were Wells, JStew, PThomas. McCoy, Addai). I really wanted to try taking a somewhat unorthidox approach. I absolutely love my pick of Ricky Williams when I got him. He should be big at least early while they ease RBrown back in.

I'm loaded at WR. I'm hoping I can make a package deal at some point to upgrade at RB. It's going to be harder to do sense it's a Flex league.

How do you think I did?

Edited by Capt. Stanky

I think that you did the right thing when using a wr/wr strategy.. You nailed down 3 serious Wr's, and then grabbed a bunch of "Lightning in a bottle" picks in Moreno,Jones,Best & Cutler... Any or all of those guys could have big breakout years, and if they do you'll be money in the bank.. Also if Owen comes back to form, you'll be nickle & diming the heck out of teams with receptions each week.

1. (10) Reggie Wayne WR

2. (11) Randy Moss WR

3. (30) Knowshon Moreno RB

4. (31) Steve Smith WR (NYG)

5. (50) Jahvid Best RB

6. (51) Felix Jones RB

7. (70) Dwayne Bowe WR

8. (71) Jay Cutler QB

9. (90) Ricky Williams RB

10. (91) Owen Daniels TE

11. (110) Green Bay DEF

12. (111) Matt Ryan QB

13. (130) Braylon Edwards WR

14. (131) Chester Taylor RB

15. (150) James Jones WR

It's hard to say what I would do differently, without looking at the draft in its entirety. I would be curious to see where the top QB's and TE's went... In other words, who would have been available to you, at those positions, when you picked in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. Could you have gotten a top-tier QB and top-tier TE in those rounds? Cutler may turn out to be a top-five QB... who knows. But, he also may end up near the bottom of the top ten, or even outside of the top ten altogether. If that happens, you're not only most likely below average at RB, but well below average at QB as well. My guess is that you'll be fine with Cutler/Ryan, though... one or both should work out to be fine, although you may have to play matchups. Still, in a 10-team league, anything outside of the top five is below average, in terms of starting QB's.

My other concern would be TE, only because you drafted just one, and he's coming off of major knee surgery. Daniels MAY be back in the top five to ten TE's in the league, but if he's not, you will most likely be scrounging through the waiver wire, or looking to upgrade through a trade.

Those two things would be my only concern... You possibly sacrificed at RB to ensure solid WR's, but when you had a chance (I'm guessing here) to make up for that by snagging a top QB or TE, you played "catch up" at RB. I probably would have spent the mid-round picks (two picks in the 5-7 range) to ensure that I had a top QB and/or TE, simply to make sure I wasn't below average in several positions, and then spent the 8-10 round picks on RB fliers, instead of the other way around.

Like I said, though, it's hard to say without seeing the rest of the draft, as I don't really know who went where, outside of your 15 players.

Thanks for the in depth analysis, Gopher. I see your point on rounds 5 & 6 (rounds 7 & 8 were rap picks). My game plan all along was to knab Moreno at round 3/4, and either take another WR or QB. At that point in the draft Brady and Romo were still available. I prefer Romo this year, and just couldn't pull the trigger. TE's went late in this draft the first TE was selected in round 5 I believe. VD and Finley were available at picks 5 & 6, but I really felt obligated to get two RB's there since I only had one at that point. Kind of trying to hedge my bets with 2 RB's rather than just one there. FJones and Best were also towards the end of my 3rd tier of RB's (I have the top 4 in tier one, and then a large number for tier 2). I hear you on TE, and I probably should have grabbed another one at the end of the draft. I figured I have over a month before the season starts, so I can always get one later if Owen doesn't start the season.

Edited by Capt. Stanky