[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gardening Question

Chief Dick

After another summer of eating fresh grown tomatoes, I simply cannot go back to eating store bought tomatoes this winter. I just can't.

Anyone ever try to grow tomatoes indoors during the winter? I'm thinking large pots, plants from seeds, and using a grow light. I figure I might try it just for the hell of it, but curious if anyone has ever tried this.

TIA.

After another summer of eating fresh grown tomatoes, I simply cannot go back to eating store bought tomatoes this winter. I just can't.

Anyone ever try to grow tomatoes indoors during the winter? I'm thinking large pots, plants from seeds, and using a grow light. I figure I might try it just for the hell of it, but curious if anyone has ever tried this.

TIA.

:wacko: Why did you bring up home grown tomatoes.

In my experience, an indoor grow room is fairly easy and cost-efficient to install and care for. And the good thing about growing your own is that you don't have hang out with college kids or derelicts in the park to score an eight of delicious, home grown tomatoes.

In my experience, an indoor grow room is fairly easy and cost-efficient to install and care for. And the good thing about growing your own is that you don't have hang out with college kids or derelicts in the park to score an eight of delicious, home grown tomatoes.

:wacko: hydroponics anyone ??

I forget the name of the machine (something 2000, I believe) that used to run ads in High Times. I always thought it was great that they always showed pictures of people growing tomatoes. A full page, color ad in a stoner mag, with some hot chick in a bikini standing next to a hydroponic kit with tomato plants in it!

Outstanding. :wacko:

As for the initial question. This is the first winter that we're even going to try cold frame gardening, but not to the extent that we're going to try summer crops, rather just protect winter crops from the freezes and what little snow we get. I had a friend who does metal work build for me frames that fit over our raised beds and we're going to cover the beds with visquene (sp?) and/or remae (again sp?). But again, that's just for lettuce and such.

Edited by detlef

I forget the name of the machine (something 2000, I believe) that used to run ads in High Times. I always thought it was great that they always showed pictures of people growing tomatoes. A full page, color ad in a stoner mag, with some hot chick in a bikini standing next to a hydroponic kit with tomato plants in it!

Outstanding. :tup:

As for the initial question. This is the first winter that we're even going to try cold frame gardening, but not to the extent that we're going to try summer crops, rather just protect winter crops from the freezes and what little snow we get. I had a friend who does metal work build for me frames that fit over our raised beds and we're going to cover the beds with visquene (sp?) and/or remae (again sp?). But again, that's just for lettuce and such.

Maybe if I get the job in Durham that I had applied I can raid Detlef's garden since I apparently lost my green thumb. :wacko: