[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3rd OVerall Pick: Ray Rice vs. MJD

ced1001

I have the 3rd overall pick in our PPR league (awards 0.5 points per reception). I suspect CJ and AD will go 1 an 2 (just a hunch).

I am pretty torn between these two guys:

Ray Rice:

- Central too (but not focus of) offense

- Solid offensive line

- Tougher rushing schedule

- Better offense around him with Boldin in the mix (more room to run)

- Should catch 80+ balls

- Loses goal line carries (though Willis is a year older)

- Poised for a serious breakout or will he get rest down the stretch?

MJD:

- Focus of the offense

- Mediocre offensive line

- Weak passing game means less room to run

- Softer rushing schedule

- Catches fewer balls

- Gets all goal line carries

I lean toward Rice, only because of his potential - it's a no brainer if he's the goal line back IMO. What do others think about this?

I think this belongs in the Fantasy Advice Forum. :wacko:

Maurice Jones Drew has had 30 TD's over the last 2 seasons, Ray Rice has had 8. As much as I like Ray Rice, and his upside, I think you have to take Jones Drew over him at this point in their careers.

With respect to Frank Gore, he may well be as productive as both Rice and MJD. However, Gore has missed at least one game in each of the past five years and two games in three of those years. He is injury prone - no two ways about it.

Sorry for posting in the general forum... guess this falls into the category of WDID...

Edited by ced1001

With respect to Frank Gore, he may well be as productive as both Rice and MJD. However, Gore has missed at least one game in each of the past five years and two games in three of those years. He is injury prone - no two ways about it.

Sorry for posting in the general forum... guess this falls into the category of WDID...

Agreed that Gore does not need to be part of this discussion, and would also argue that Rice might not either.

I took Jones Drew #2 in a .5 PPR league over AP so he would be my pick.

I'm a Packer fan who thinks Favre will retire and AP will fumble even more than last year is why I didn't take him(in case you're interested)

I would go with Rice on this. I had him last year and he was a lifesaver in many games. It was annoying that he doesn't get goalline carries. But if Willis is out Rice is a beast. You know what your going to get out of MJD, 1000 yards and 10 tds, Rice could have a performance similar to CJ last year, 1700 combined yards 6 -12 tds

Depends if you want a risk or a safe pick. I'd always go with the guy who has a higher ceiling, however it is nice to have a regular point getter on your team.

Good Luck.

In PPR, even 1/2 PPR, I go with Rice. I do love MJD and his conditioning, and he should have the edge with TDs, but MJD is the kind of guy who can have bad/mediocre games mixed in there, and can be shut down if defenses really key in on him. He will make up for it with mostly good to great performances, as well as at least a TD and 4 catches nearly every week, but Ray Rice is just on a different level with his production/potential.

Say Rice's reception total goes down to about 50, I still see him as the favorite to lead the two in yardage/receptions, and rumor has it that Rice's goal-line carries should only stand to increase, as McGahee looks more irrelevant and suited to just be a backup for the uber-talented kid, who is nearly matchup proof. No matter the situation/opponent, the kid seems to produce, whether on the ground or through the air.

Again, I love MJD, but in PPR I take Rice first in a heartbeat

Dorey rule and overall season schedule looks very promising for MJD...

I am also a Packer fan and don't believe for one minute Favre is done. I don't think he'll want to leave the game on the sour note of last year. Plus, he had his best season, statisically. I also think he won't have as good of a year as last and that the Vikings will try to run more.

Edited by The 13ers

If you are in a PPR league then take Rice. He is like the second coming of Brian Westbrook when it comes to catching and running. The big downside is he shares time with Mcghee. His numbers were so good last year that I think they will use him less to potect him from injury. I expect a drop in numbers from last year.

MJD is about as safe as you can get when it comes to RBs. He is the primary workhorse and gets a lot of carries. The Jags passing offense is average at best so expect MJD to see the ball a lot.

I like Rice by a hair because of the huge upside and the addition of Boldin. I think adding Boldin will keep defenses keep honest and open up for the potential of bigger plays for Rice now that they have a real threat at WR. I remember last year without checking back that MJD ran into some bad games where he was pedestrian at best. Granted that is always possible for any back to have bad games but looking at Offenses clearly the Ravens are better which I think will lead to a lot more opportunities for Rice.

I have the 3-spot in my league (PPR) and unless AP or CJ drop he will be my pick :-)