[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Two draft strategy questions

hezagenius

1st question:

For those that use tiers of players - suppose you are deciding between a tier 1 QB and a tier 2 RB, do you select the QB because they are in a higher tier or do you still pick the player you think is better? For example, let's say Romo is the best QB available and you have him in Tier 1 and Jamaal Charles is the best RB available and you have him in Tier 2. You don't have a QB, but you have a top RB and good WR. Do you take Romo because you have him in Tier 1 vs Charles who you have in Tier 2 or do you add Charles to bolster your RBs?

2nd question:

Do you guys/gals try to fill out your starters before you adding depth at a position? I typically run into the situation where I am targeting a QB or TE and they get picked before my turn so I usually just add more depth at RB or WR. The problem is that eventually I have to bite the bullet and grab a QB or TE I don't really want.

It depends om your stategy. I prefer waiting on the qb and filling in my wr's and rb's first, but if you cant pass on a guy like romo because you feel the value is to good then take him and change your strategy as the draft goes on.

As far as drafting your starters, I would definitely get your rbs and wrs first and wait to gey your te until later. The te position is deep this year and you can get a guy like zack miller or visante shanicoe later in the draft. Do get your starters but it may be a good idea to get a 3rd wr and rb before you grab your te. Hope this helped.

1st question:

For those that use tiers of players - suppose you are deciding between a tier 1 QB and a tier 2 RB, do you select the QB because they are in a higher tier or do you still pick the player you think is better? For example, let's say Romo is the best QB available and you have him in Tier 1 and Jamaal Charles is the best RB available and you have him in Tier 2. You don't have a QB, but you have a top RB and good WR. Do you take Romo because you have him in Tier 1 vs Charles who you have in Tier 2 or do you add Charles to bolster your RBs?

2nd question:

Do you guys/gals try to fill out your starters before you adding depth at a position? I typically run into the situation where I am targeting a QB or TE and they get picked before my turn so I usually just add more depth at RB or WR. The problem is that eventually I have to bite the bullet and grab a QB or TE I don't really want.

1 - Tiers help to target a group of players at a predetermined position. In your scenario, if there is only 1 more player in either of your tiers you should select that guy. If there are plenty of both, select the position you want, don't worry about who is in tier 1 & who is in 2.

2 - This is where Tiers help you. If your targeted QB or TE have another player in that tier grab the other player who you ranked as comparable to your target. Hopefully you targeted them because you need that position to fill out your roster. Depth is only good if there are plenty of players of equal value (in the same tier) left at a need position.

1 - I'll take it a step further. Tiers should not be position specific. They should be value based. That would solve your dilemma about whether Romo or Charles is the better option in your specific example.

2 - Similar to what gguy said, but, as a rule of thumb, the non-elite but startable QBs and TEs are relatively bunched together, so I am generally more inclined to go after RB and WR depth rather than use a pick two rounds early on a QB or TE when I can get a comparable player later.