[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Turner PPR Value

notem

I think ATL is going to make an effort to get the ball in his hands this year. The guy has substantial talent and can little plays into big gainers with his sudden blazing speed. That's why the coaching staff has made noise about throwing to Turner. The guy doesn't have stone hands, but some coaches like to reduce the wear & tear on their primary backs by relieving them of receiving duties, preferring instead to use WRs and TEs, and sometimes FBs, for that purpose. Shanahan is a great example of this.

That said, with ATL's staff making a committment to trying to get the ball into Turner's hands in space a bit more, you're probably looking on the order of maybe 20 to 30 catches this year - that's catching maybe 1 to 2 passes a game. But given Turner's ability, that very well could make the difference in finishing in the top 3/4 RBs in the league, given that he'll be the TD whore in ATL.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think ATL is going to make an effort to get the ball in his hands this year. The guy has substantial talent and can little plays into big gainers with his sudden blazing speed. That's why the coaching staff has made noise about throwing to Turner. The guy doesn't have stone hands, but some coaches like to reduce the wear & tear on their primary backs by relieving them of receiving duties, preferring instead to use WRs and TEs, and sometimes FBs, for that purpose. Shanahan is a great example of this.

That said, with ATL's staff making a committment to trying to get the ball into Turner's hands in space a bit more, you're probably looking on the order of maybe 20 to 30 catches this year - that's catching maybe 1 to 2 passes a game. But given Turner's ability, that very well could make the difference in finishing in the top 3/4 RBs in the league, given that he'll be the TD whore in ATL.

Gosh I hope so BB!!!!!

I sit here and watch player's ADP go up and down with each week of preseason, and it's silly.

Boldin scored a TD, and he went up. V Davis hasn't been playing, he goes down and Finley passes him because he had a good game. Turner doesn't have a catch, and he goes down. I think you should ignore these blips in ADP.

I think Turner might get 20 to 30 rec's, but even in PPR, who cares? OK, so it's a smidge over a point a game. Turner will make or break you on the ground and with TD's. I have drafted Turner in a PPR league, but what I want is for him to come close to his 2008 numbers. For reference, that was 1,700 yards and 17 TD's. I could care less about his reception numbers if he can come close to 2008. Receptions would just be gravy.

I think Turner might get 20 to 30 rec's, but even in PPR, who cares? OK, so it's a smidge over a point a game.

Plus the receiving yardage, which I think you missed. That's 200 yds, give or take, that adds onto his yardage total. Those points start adding up...

Plus the receiving yardage, which I think you missed. That's 200 yds, give or take, that adds onto his yardage total. Those points start adding up...

Still, it's gravy. If he catches the ball, that's perhaps one less run, but probably doesn't impact his touches number much. If yer gonna draft Turner, it's the 1,500 yards and 15 TD's (or more) you want. I don't care what the mix of runs vs. cathces is. Total yards and TD's is what I am looking for. I don't rank him any differently between PPR and non PPR. I want him to repeat 2008 numbers in yardage and TD's. Tall order, but...

I don't see him as a third down pass recieving back, and getting more touches through receptions in that role.

where are all the people who told me last year that Michael "Frying Pan Hands" Turner isn't capable of catching out of the backfield for more than say 10 receptions for the season?...

last year, the thought of this was absurd, but now nobody is saying anything...:wacko:

historically, he's never caught passes, so I'm wondering how the coaching staff thinks his frying pan hands will catch passes...

where are all the people who told me last year that Michael "Frying Pan Hands" Turner isn't capable of catching out of the backfield for more than say 10 receptions for the season?...

last year, the thought of this was absurd, but now nobody is saying anything...:wacko:

historically, he's never caught passes, so I'm wondering how the coaching staff thinks his frying pan hands will catch passes...

I read his receiving skills weren't that bad. i think part of the thought process is to get him touches where he can avoid some contact.

I read his receiving skills weren't that bad. i think part of the thought process is to get him touches where he can avoid some contact.

exactly...if he can catch a pass in the flat with nobody around him, he'll absolutely kill the 2nd and 3rd level in open field...

This is what I've heard too, that it doesn't have anything to do with his catching ability. It's just not the way they've been using him, since he's a smash and cut guy.

More of note is that the staff has gone back on reports that they would hold back his carries, and now admit that Turner is a huge part of this offense, and will be used as such. So I think the passes will go hand-in-hand with them not wanting him to take too much of a beating with a large workload.

He's looked just fine catching them too, but I agree with Rovers that passes are not the reason you draft Turner. You draft him to get alot of yards and TDs like he's capable of, since a bounce-back to those numbers would likely solidify him as a top 5 back anyway.