[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People have had it

driveby

Received this email from the district superintendent:

Proposal to raise taxes, increase funding defeated

Slightly more than 1100 XXXXXXX ISD voters cast ballots in the district's tax ratification election, Tuesday, August 31, and the majority of voters said "no" to raising property taxes by 10 percent. The increased tax rate would have increased local and state funding received by XXXXXXXX ISD.

The final tally was 682 "no" votes to 439 votes in the "yes" category in the election to get voter approval to raise the maintenance and operations (M&O) portion of the tax rate by 13 cents per $100 valuation of property. The district's Board of Trustees in June adopted the higher rate to increase the district's revenue, and state law requires a tax ratification election to obtain voter approval.

We will continue to keep you informed on the impact of yesterday's election results and the district's efforts to balance the budget while maintaining quality educational programs.

These tax elections have never been voted down.

Going to get interesting. :wacko:

I'm starting to get a little concerned about some of the local school bond proposals. We have a few people that I typically agree with regarding spending trying to get them voted down. The problem is, the largest district in question really needs to pass it. It wouldn't even raise property taxes, just extend the current rate a few more years. IMO with the inefficiency of portables, along with their safety and accessibility concerns, the voters would be stupid not to pass them, particularly when you look at how low the cost of borrowing money is right now, and the current local construction market. I'm all for salary freezes and what not, but it seems to me that some people are throwing the baby out with the bath water on this. In this case building makes sense as it will save the district a ton of money not to mention keep about 150 people employed for 18 months and help spur the local economy. Still some are too short sighted to see this. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against wasteful spending, but here there is a real need, and satisfying that need will actually save the district and the tax payers money over the long haul as well as help stimulate the local economy in a time it could really use it. To me it is a no brainer, but some are against all spending right now.

To me it is a no brainer, but some are against all spending right now.

Every normal family has had to cut their personal spending and tighten their budgets. But government refuses to do so. Until they show even the slightest hint of fiscal restraint, you're going to keep seeing backlashes against proposals like this... even if they make sense. I woudl imagine that local school districts will have the shortest leash since they are well known for their blackmail practices of reducing essential programs or personnel when faced with budget crunches, instead of trimming the fat where it makes most sense.

Every normal family has had to cut their personal spending and tighten their budgets. But government refuses to do so. Until they show even the slightest hint of fiscal restraint, you're going to keep seeing backlashes against proposals like this... even if they make sense. I woudl imagine that local school districts will have the shortest leash since they are well known for their blackmail practices of reducing essential programs or personnel when faced with budget crunches, instead of trimming the fat where it makes most sense.

Oh, I agree if it is wasteful. The sad thing is the one I'm talking about will pay for itself in about 15 years through energy and maintenance savings, and would not require an increase in property tax, just an extension of the current rater rather than a reduction.

I agree with this. We cannot go on adding to what schools get, they are f'n insatiable. They need to take a good look at what constitutes basic education, what is very important and what is just frippery.

I agree with this. We cannot go on adding to what schools get, they are f'n insatiable. They need to take a good look at what constitutes basic education, what is very important and what is just frippery.

I absolutely agree we need to look at the classes taught, and the equipment used. There is no need to paint fancy murals on the ceilings are have a bunch of cast stone on the exterior of the building or fancy stained concrete with a map of the state or anything like that. We need to look to see if the technology used such as "smart boards" really makes more sense than dry erase boards.

The example above that I have given has to do with too large of a student population for the current facilities, not frills. When you start having 20 portable buildings on each campus you are wasting money. Those portables are inefficient both electrically as well as in the use of man power as most are smaller than the typical classroom, requiring more teachers than a traditional building would. They also require about 5 times as much maintenance do the the materials used. On top of that most of them are rented.

School budgets like the budgets of all government entities (and private ones for that matter) need to be picked over with a fine tooth comb to see where money can be saved. The thing is, the bond program if passed would end up saving the district a ton of money in the long haul.

Ursa you will like this when talking about reigning in budgets. Since we are about to see a severe slow down in our business, our out of work superintendents will now be taking care of our landscaping instead of hiring it out, and we are considering having them take over the custodial service as well. They will be notified about that an several other unpleasant things next week.